Need Help with 2004 passat TDI

QR12

TDI
2004 Passat GLS Wagon
Hello, i have a 2004 passat tdi 2.0L BHW that i bought not running. It has 150,000 miles on it and it has been serviced regularly. The previous own said they where driving it one day and it just shut off. I change the ecu and it starts now, but idles very rough, almost like it is missing, and when you put it in gear it stalls. I checked some stuff with VCDS and there are no fault codes. I checked cam timing also and it's at -0.5, which i was told was fine for this engine. Does anybody know what is wrong or what i should check?

Thanks!

QR12

TDI
2004 Passat GLS Wagon
I don’t think it’s the camshaft because it looks fine and the previous owner said it just stopped running on him while they where driving. It wasn’t a slow decline in performance.

Last edited:

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Fuel pump or fuel pump relay, perhaps. My fuel pump relay went intermittent and would stall when driving. Is the tank full? Could it be bad fuel? Although I'm not sure how far you would get from a station since the fuel recirculates.

What have you done so far? Changing the ECU seems like a drastic first step, so I presume you've done some troubleshooting. Why did you decide to change the ECU?

QR12

TDI
2004 Passat GLS Wagon
When i got the car it wouldn't start and it had a constant code for injection circuit failure. I checked at the injector plugs and wasn't getting any signal to the injectors. I checked the wire loom and it was fine, so i swapped the ecu and i got the car started.

So far i have changed the fuel filter, checked the lift pump - it runs and is making pressure, cleaned the EGR valve, checked the MAF sensor and MAP sensor, and checked cam timing.

VCDS isn't showing any codes for the ecu.

I'm starting to think it could be clogged injectors or maybe a bad tandem pump.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Look at the smooth idle compensation in the engine data (I forget which group it is, just start at 001 and scroll up). See if anything is way off. A healthy car should have all four values +/- 1.00 or less.

Still, even a dead cylinder won't cause it to die when you put it in drive. But at least checking those values with the engine running may point out one or maybe two cylinders.

QR12

TDI
2004 Passat GLS Wagon
oilhammer, i will check that tonight. Thanks

DeliveryValve, i will check that also.

Last edited:

QR12

TDI
2004 Passat GLS Wagon
Someone told me to check the fuel return line flow rate to make sure the pump is moving enough fuel. When checks my the fuel that Pumped out of the return I found that it has gasoline mixed with it. So this weekend I’m draining the tank, flushing the lines and changing the fuel filter again. Hopefully that cures my problems.

QR12

TDI
2004 Passat GLS Wagon
Got the tank emptied and filled up with diesel, purged the fuel lines and its still running rough and stalling when put in gear.

Checked the intake regulator flap as DeliveryValve said to, its open.

Oilhammer i didn't see an idle compensation, i did see an idle stabilization though. Readings at an idle below.

Injector quantity cylinder 1 2.99 mg/str
Injector quantity cylinder 2 2.99 mg/str
Injector quantity cylinder 3 -3.01 mg/str
Injector quantity cylinder 4 -3.01 mg/str

QR12

TDI
2004 Passat GLS Wagon
Checked compression, all four cylinder were good. Checked wiring, couldn’t find any issues. Going to do a diesel purge on it and see if it gives me any improvements. I’m pretty sure it’s injectors at this point.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Very rarely will injectors "just shut off" a car.

Long slow decline, gum up after a period of sitting - absolutely.

When you can get it running, is it running on all cylinders?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
One way to find out for sure. How hard is it to swap the 2 good cylinder injectors for the bad?

QR12

TDI
2004 Passat GLS Wagon
It’s seems to be running on all four, 1&2 are just not making any power. The ECU is not detecting a misfire either. I ran diesel purge thru it and it will barely idle in drive now, which it wouldn’t before.

Windex I bought the car about a month ago not running, so it could have had a decline of power that I don’t know about. The guys wife was driving it and he said it died while driving, I found that she had filled it with gasoline and I drained the tank, purges the lines, and put a new filter on it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Looks like you have two dead cylinders to me.

You need to determine why.

Compression

Injectors

Valvetrain

QR12

TDI
2004 Passat GLS Wagon
Oilhammer, i believe its injectors. When i had the valve cover off there wasn't any noticeable wear on the cam or lifters. I also did a compression test and all for cylinder came back within about 10-15 psi of each other. I was going to see about swapping
two of the injectors and see if it swaps the idle stabilization numbers in VCDS.

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
maybe try to "fix" the harness first? I have gone through a few cars that would "lose" injector 1 intermittently and it was just a loose plug at the end of the harness under the valve cover...taking the injectors out can lead to a few pain in the butt issues...although the harness usually throws a code for injectors

QR12

TDI
2004 Passat GLS Wagon
nitec, Like i stated earlier, i am getting pulse to all injectors and one of the first things i did was crimp the injector plugs tight to make sure they were making connection.

QR12

TDI
2004 Passat GLS Wagon
Previous injector stabilization reading

Swapped injector 2 & 3 and took a new reading.

Injector quantity cylinder 2 -3.01 mg/str
Injector quantity cylinder 3 2.99 mg/str

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
Previous injector stabilization reading

Swapped injector 2 & 3 and took a new reading.

Injector quantity cylinder 2 -3.01 mg/str
Injector quantity cylinder 3 2.99 mg/str
Ya the gas has no lubrication in it like diesel has and 2 of your injectors have seized up as a result !