09 Jetta P0087 Bad HPFP 145264 miles

BlkJetta01

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black, 5spd Sold 327,000 miles: 2009 Jetta 145,264 miles RIP
Driving home with family, while accerating uphill, Workshop code and flashing glowplug. Car died on highway. Was able to restart one time to get overhill and into parking lot. No restarting. Next day checked code, Dreaded P0087, low fuel pressure. Towed to Wallace in Bristol, TN.
They stated HPFP failure, Approximately $7000 to replace. Calls to VW customer care and Wallace service manager no help, according to him the district service manager agrees.

Although it was not stated it was implied that I received more than enough mileage on this car.
My first 2001 Jetta ALH had 327,500 miles when I sold it to buy this one. After new injectors were put on it, it ran at least 100,000 more miles the last I knew about it.
I do not agree, a diesel should do better than this, or no cost so much to repair, I still owe for the car.

I will contact bank, insurance company, but I see no help. I need to see about selling it to salvage yard. I hate that. The car body is in great shape. Had dealer change the timing belt at 118,000. I used Ross-Tech cable to prime the fuel system on every fuel filter change, no Bio, no Additives. Oil change using the correct oil every 10,000.
Bought 16 inch alloy rims for winter tires, installed new winter tires last spring.

Last edited:

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
there have been a few 09 covered over 100K miles, good luck.
Report to NHTSA and tell VW you did so, it helped in some of the cases

BlkJetta01

TDI
I already did both, NHTSA and informed VW of posting, they do not care.
Counting my wife's Subaru, I purchased 3 cars at same dealer, they do not care either.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
i'm very sorry for you, all i can say is keep pushing with VW, as i said there have been some cases of vw picking up the tab on cars with over 100K miles, maybe try to contact those users and get their case #, and ask VW why they covered those and are not willing to do the same for you.

on the other hand, unless they know they are guilty, no automaker will cover a car with 145K miles under warranty.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Sorry to hear that VW isn't going to step up and cover the repair cost. If this trend continues with VW not covering higher mileage tdi's with hpfp failures,its not good at all for owners. If you are going to junk your car,maybe contact member 2micron. He is doing fantastic work towards finding some type of solution for the hpfp failure and retro fitting a different model hpfp. He may want the car for his experiments. Just a thought.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Ask them why it failed ! If they say bad fuel(get it in writing) your insurance may cover it. Just a thought . Also get it to a trusted guru the dealer will be the most expensive . You may only need a new pump and system flush which will cost much much less .

Last edited:

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
A well documented design flaw with the HPFP on the 2009+ CR TDI that causes these cars to self-destruct at any mileage... What a mess, VW! These threads make me a little ill. It's now impossible to have any confidence in the dependability of these cars. Good job, VW...

To the OP: Don't go down without a fight.

Last edited:

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI~LOVE/HATE~
Sad part is all the 09+ tdi's will have this failure at some point in their service life.....hpfp's don't last forever and when the cp4 goes it does a ton of damage....drive more worry less all you want but when the hpfp goes your screwed and even worse if your over 60,000 miles... your gonna have to be ready to fight like crazy....I still love my tdi wagen but am less then confident in the fuel systems longevity.....design flaw!

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
Sorry to hear about all your troubles. This truly is awful. Our cars are fantastic and did not deserve these issues with the fuel system. If VW doesn't help, Softrock has a very wise comment, find a VW guru close to you.
You can buy a new pump from EBay and flush all the lines. If your injectors are plugged, I'll gladly help and exchange a fresh, used set. I have used pumps, but wouldn't recommend them for use. With patience, the system can be successfully cleaned and flushed.
Good luck and I'm sure we can all help you out.
All the best,

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
OP: Never weaken. Your dealer knows this is a real problem, and a $7k repair is not acceptable for a 3-4 year old car.
Good luck.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Bring the car to a TDI guru so maybe the whole community can benefit from what is going on here and what actually needs to be replaced. Dealer's just throw parts at cars without thinking twice.

fcatwo

TDI
2009 JSW DSG
Pre-emptive Strike

We have a 2009 TDI with 29K on it and I dread taking it on long trips for fear of being stranded with the inevitable fuel pump failure. Has anyone investigated the cost of replacing the origional pump with the later model before the old one fails? I think it would be worth spending a few hundred bucks just for peace of mind.

Last edited:

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
A few have changed it with their timing belt but its gonna be more than a few hundred bucks . The pump itself is around 1200 plus labor for the install .

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
And there's no proof the newer pumps are any better....

fcatwo

TDI
2009 JSW DSG
Thanks for the info. It would be nice if VW would extend the warranty on the HPFP to 100K like they did the DSG transmission when it was having problems early on. It sounds like a formal mandated recall will be the only hope for owners of high mileage cars.

The JSW is our only vehicle and we do our own fueling so there is no chance we'll put gasoline in the tank -- I put the orange stickers on anyway.

We owned a 2002 Honda Odyssey that was recalled for transmission inspection and alteration or replacement after there had been only 10 reported failures nationwide. Different corporate philosophies I suppose.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
The JSW is our only vehicle and we do our own fueling so there is no chance we'll put gasoline in the tank -- I put the orange stickers on anyway.

I wish this was true.

Every now and then, the tanker man put gas in the diesel tank.

Sometimes he fills his tank truck with diesel when there is a heel of gasoline still in it.

You just never know..........

N2UADTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
We owned a 2002 Honda Odyssey that was recalled for transmission inspection and alteration or replacement after there had been only 10 reported failures nationwide. Different corporate philosophies I suppose.
If I recall correctly...
That was after the 1999-2001 4 speed V6 trannys all died. And then they found that the new 2002 5 speed trannys had a problem also. So they issued a recall to retrofit a fix or replace the trans if it died.

It took them a while to admit the 4 speed trannys had a problem. And if you owned one of those cars the repair bill from Honda was $5k. The price has come down since then.
In the end Honda issued an extended warranty or a check if you had paid for a repair within the extended warranty period.

fcatwo

TDI
2009 JSW DSG
Has anyone investigated the junk-yard possibility? there are enough 2009+ TDIs on the roads now that there must be a few that have met an untimely demise.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Has anyone investigated the junk-yard possibility? there are enough 2009+ TDIs on the roads now that there must be a few that have met an untimely demise.
I would say unless they were in a collision the reason they are in the junkyard is the fuel pump probably.

BlkJetta01

TDI
I am not repairing the car. With my mileage the 12,000 warranty on repair would be at most 4 months.
As stated before VW and dealer did nothing for repair. I did contact sales to ask for support with purchase of 3 vehicles on 12 years.
They gave me 4,000 trade in for a new Subaru outback. I still lose at least 3,000 dollars, but better than nothing.
Now I need to sell the 17 inch wheels. I had the 16 snow tires on it and the dealer does not want to exchange or buy them. Also need to sell my Ross-Tech cable and Bentley cd.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
Well you didn't make out too bad considering those who bailed early out of fear def lost more than 3k ...

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PM sent...I might be interested in the wheels/VCDS/Bentley. Are there tires on the wheels?

$4k on a trade-in on a $25-32k car? That's disgusting.

Good luck to you.

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
PM sent...I might be interested in the wheels/VCDS/Bentley. Are there tires on the wheels?

$4k on a trade-in on a $25-32k car? That's disgusting.

Good luck to you.
An 09 with that mileage is not even close to being worth $25k.....I agree it's worth way more then $4k but $25k is way out of the ball park.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm sure they're following standard depreciation tables, which may not consider type of engine, plus accounting for that the dealer will have to spend a few thousand bucks at their cost in order to make the car sellable. Would they be able to sell it for $10k? They would have to, in order to not take a loss on it. It's a crapshoot at that point whether to put the new fuel system parts on it to sell for that price (or more, if possible), or to try to recover the $4k by parting it out.

I've said it before, and this is the first possible example: the HPFP will be what puts common-rail TDI cars on the scrap heap, and will probably eventually turn out to be the number one non-collision-related cause.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
just to compare, i went to suzuki to see the sx4 and i asked 13K for my JSW with 103K miles and they said they were going to give it to me if i would have bought the car the same day

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An 09 with that mileage is not even close to being worth $25k.....I agree it's worth way more then $4k but $25k is way out of the ball park.
You misunderstood my post. The dealer offered him $4k TRADE IN for a Subaru Outback, with a value of $25-32k.