Timing belt failure?

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
if it occurs in the first 60k or 80k for 2002's, its covered. If you have it replaced by VW after the warranty expires, then the belt is covered for 12,000 miles. if failure occurs after then, your on your own unless VW decides to goodwill it.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Actually, on the new cars they leave you high and dry. The 2002 cars have a 5year/60K powertrain warranty. The belt change is now 80K, so that last 20K you are on your own!

Any part bought from a VW dealer should carry a 12/12 warranty on it, so if it fails within 12 months or 12K miles, you SHOULD be in good shape as warranties go. (Likely story, mine failed 15K after it was replaced
)

Just so you can wake up with the cold sweats and nightmares, here's a bit of a refresher: When your belt fails you're looking at a new cylinder head, gaskets, belt, tensioner, and a heck of a lot of labor. ($1.7k - $2.7K when it's all done.)

[ April 03, 2002, 18:06: Message edited by: dzcad90 ]

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
My 97 Passat TDI shed it's TB at 37,800 and me being the second owner the warranty was recuced to 50,000, They covered the job. Thanks!

mehwolfy

Veteran Member
What if your timing belt fails prior to replacement interval? Is there any warranty from VW if one fails before 60k miles?

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
covered unless:

you did the maintenace yourself and don't have records of inspecting the timing belt every 10k miles (photo evidence is good)!

you put an aftermarket filter in there despite what mickey says

you put a chip in it

you pretty much do anything that changes the car from stock . . . don't even think about epsilonian, ccv bypass, . . . anything

--

kinda sucks but that is why it is important to check it and document the checks!