2015 SportWagen Issue

kansas

TDI
2004 Mk4, 2014 Passat
I am really hoping someone can help me out. I am at the end of my rope.

My 2015 Golf SportWagen keeps having an issue where all of the safety features magically get disabled: airbags suddenly turn off, stability control, ABS, DSG transmission doesn’t work properly, seat belt alert, etc. The first time it happened it was when I started the car. Nothing special. Leaving dinner and I turned the car on and all of them just came up one by one. Now tonight it did it while I was driving. On a backroad doing normal speed and they just shut off.

I’ve gone to two VW dealers in the area and neither has any idea what’s going on. They’ve done diagnostic data. Reprogrammed each system. Cleared codes. Tested power draw. Test drove it for several miles and it didn’t come back on.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? To me it’s gotta be power related. But everything checks out. Alternator is strong and the battery was replaced as a preventive measure this past time through the dealer. Not that the battery was bad to begin with, it was from 12/17 and was sort of a shot in the dark.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Not sure here, but know back in my MINI days similar situations often meant the wiring harness was bad... usually had been chewed by varmits... squirrels or mice.
Look around for dammage.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Start at reading battery voltage before, during starter engagement, and running after starting. Then its just following both ground paths and b+ battery on downstream. The various shutdowns of systems is the ecu reading low voltage. you'll probably need someone to help as one person to be in car, and one holding meter leads on battery terminals, not posts.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
p.s. I'd look look at both the grounds and the feeds to the ecu.

kansas

TDI
2004 Mk4, 2014 Passat
Thank you. It’s raining today so I’ll have to try it tomorrow. I hope it’s something as simple as a ground cable

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I'd blame battery, how old is it? is it turning over with gusto as always?

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
ZippyNH may be on to something.
Was your 2015 SportWagen one that sat for a few years until VW's fix was approved and it could be sold? I recall one of which had been stored on a grass lot and it had obvious damage from critters chewing on wires. Maybe yours was like this and the damage was minimal and not detected when they certified the car for sale.

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
Look underengine cover. Any foam missing from underside ?
On modern cars , hats first things Varmin go for.

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Kansas, if you can't find the problem, there are two master vw techs that are less than an hour away from you than can find your problem and fix it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
That or the soy based wiring insulation