Keep your eyes open new TDIs are going to the wrecker

rmay635703

TDI
2002 Jetta

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I think most likely they are fixed cars, but in "bad" condition so VW is selling them to junk yards. They are selling nice cars at wholesale auctions.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Wholesale auction cars can be bought by parts-recyclers like Pick-and-pull. Probably they are wholesaling plenty of them; the auction itself (i.e. who buys the car) decides whether a car goes down the path of being re-sold and kept on the road, or parted out. If a car has known issues then people who want to resell the car whole won't pay a premium price for it, but the pick-and-pull yards don't care that much.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
VW isn't selling any of them direct on the wholesale market as of now. VW decides which cars get fixed and resold, and which ones get crushed. Those are likely cars VW has determined they are going to scrap and the yard in question has been contracted out to destroy them. That way the cars won't be able to hurt anyone's feels ever again!

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
VW isn't selling any of them direct on the wholesale market as of now. VW decides which cars get fixed and resold, and which ones get crushed. Those are likely cars VW has determined they are going to scrap and the yard in question has been contracted out to destroy them. That way the cars won't be able to hurt anyone's feels ever again!
HUH? Every wholesale auction network has hundreds of fixed VWs being sold by VW directly.

rmay635703

TDI
2002 Jetta
Pretty stupid, if the motor is soooo offensive drill a couple holes in it so at least the body parts can be reused

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
There are stacks of them at the wrecking yard across the street. I have been watching to see if they change, and they do. They look to be mostly earlier cars but occasionally a later one sneaks in. I have to assume the cars going to the crusher are either high miles or too damaged to be worth refurb. Given the quantities involved I am not surprised they are crushing them rather than flooding the yards. If you want pictures I am happy to share.

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
You should go across the street and see if the wrecking yard would let you pull some of the parts off the TDI's before there crushed and then you could run a TDI parts shop out of your house. My drivers seat has a crack in the fake leather and could use a replacement :). I would like some pictures of the yard.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
You should go across the street and see if the wrecking yard would let you pull some of the parts off the TDI's before there crushed and then you could run a TDI parts shop out of your house. My drivers seat has a crack in the fake leather and could use a replacement :). I would like some pictures of the yard.
Ours has a crack in the seat, too. Luckily it hasn't grown much since it first appeared.
It would be nice to a have a salvage yard full of these cars nearby to make our lightly worn cars like-new again.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI

This is from a few weeks ago, but I can take a fresh one if you really want.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
They are never hitting the yard. I assume it is a contractual requirement, possibly to keep the parts market from getting flooded.

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Wow, I would be making friends with the owner and getting parts before there crushed, or at the least jumping the small fence at night with a big pack of hamburger meat in case dogs show up.:D