Air filter / Oil Filter / Fuel filter

SKM348

TDI
Golf-GLS, 2003, White
Hi - i just replaced my air filt at 21k with a Fram from Walmart. Was the the Fram an acceptable filter? (VW says change air filt at 40K!)
Also, is a Fram oil filter ok or should I spend the extra $ and get an 'approved' one from the dealer. I guess if I buy the filter from them they'll have my records on file should any warranty issues come up. Also, same for the fuel filter?
Thanks to all
Joe

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Joe, I don't know what region you're located in but you should make acquaintances with your regional TDi parts guy and stop throwing your $$ away...you can purchase OE parts for the same or less $$ than you are spending on sub-standard components.

Puebla

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 TDI GT25, PP520'S, FMIC, STAGE 5 SOFTWARE
Hello Gentlemen, I have used a K&N Air Filter on my MK4 VW TDI, besides the fact that the filter oil kills your MAF, it works pretty darn good. The secret to keep your TDI and MAF in love with the oily K&N is to unslip the MAF off every 25K miles or so and spray some electric parts cleaner on it.(make sure it's the non-flammable kind) That cleans all the oily residue off the Mass Airflow Sensor. (M.A.F.) If you do decide to go with a K&N and forget to maintain your MAF, your TDI, will unexpectedly go into limp mode. I switched out 2 (two) Pierburg MAF's before figuring out what the f*ck was going on. Now I am the lucky owner of two spare Pierburg MAF's for my TDI. Good luck, and I hope you choose the K&N....

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Hmmmmm. I concur on the MAF killing effect of the K&N or any other oiled filter. So put the stock air filter on my car and a filter minder (checks and holds max vacuum on engine side of filter). Stock OEM filter does a nice job and last quite a while if you are a freeway driver like me on long commutes.

Tests have been done on the OEM filter and it scored very well. The K&N filter does ok, but with the oil film that comes off of it that kills MAF, why bother as it is does not boost performance of the car.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Also, is a Fram oil filter ok or should I spend the extra $ and get an 'approved' one from the dealer. I guess if I buy the filter from them they'll have my records on file should any warranty issues come up.
The fellow who runs this website has done a lot of research on oil filters.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

The second page contains his conclusions. He definitely does not like Fram filters. He does not care for Bosch. He thinks Purolater, STP, Mann and Wix are okay.

Several months ago there was a discussion about Wix filters. Most of the comments were favorable. The NAPA Gold filter is a Wix filter.

Also, several months ago there was an extended discussion about the plastic dams that are found inside some oil filters, but not others. The plastic dam runs about half-way up the inside, and holds oil inside the filter. When you start up a cold engine, if there is already oil in the filter, then you get oil to the engine just a little bit faster. So whichever filter you get, make sure it has the plastic dam. And when you install it, make sure the end with the dam is down!

I have no opinion regarding air filter alternatives. From what I have read, the VW part is perfectly fine, if it is installed correctly (so that no dirt gets past the edges).

Concerning fuel filters, I have upgraded to the CAT 2 micron fuel filter, as I plan to keep my TDI for a minimum of 300k miles, and hopefully more than 500k miles. The filtration is better, the filters cost less, and they don't need to be replaced as often.