01V GMR stuck in 3rd gear or toast?

04PassatTDI

TDI
04 Passat TDI
Hey all, im new here, but have been lurking on the forums for quite some time now and have been trying to do as much reading as possible before asking any questions.

Anyways.. I just bought an 04 Passat TDI a couple weeks ago for $350 with what the owner said was a "blown" transmission. The car would only go into reverse and would not move at all in D. I got the car trailered back to my place with the assumption i would be replacing the transmission (may still be the case). I dropped the pan and changed the fluid and filter and now it moves, but it feels like its stuck in 3rd gear (or slipping as one post i read said). I pulled some codes from the vag-com and this is what it came up with.

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Monday, 27 March 2017, 14:00:10.
Control Module Part Number: 3B0 927 156 AP
Component and/or Version: AG5 01V 2.0lPD USA 1213
Software Coding: 0001104
Work Shop Code: WSC 05311
VCID: 749B5FD357A3
2 Faults Found:
17114 - Gear Ratio Monitoring: Incorrect Gear Ratio
P0730 - 003 - Mechanical Failure
17195 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0811 - 003 - Please Register/Activate

Does this just mean its toast or should i bother trying to replace the TCM?

Thanks,
Bryan

suncoug

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Let the Transmission Game begin!!! Seriously, I went through this and spent a lot of time and $. Sometimes, after going through a lot of trouble, it works and you will feel like a hero but it may or may not last. My advice is to go with what is for sure (factory reman or manual conversion), or you could end up spending a lot of $ and time and go nowhere.

Automatic transmission is like a magic box especially these evil VW transmissions. You think you are so close but that often means nothing. I would listen to the transmission experts not your inner voice that says "how hard could it be?" especially after watching some YouTube videos.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
You have a slipping transmission and that’s why it’s in limp mode. It’s “Game over man!”

suncoug

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Most likely, it is in 4th gear. You can clear the code with VAG-COM, but it will likely go into the limp mode again. If you have a lot of time, you can try messing with it. However, rebuilding it properly is beyond most home mechanic's ability.

Plus, to do it right, you may end up spending good $1,500 in parts (torque converter, front oil pump, valve body, rebuild kit, ATF fluid, etc.), so you might as well put that money into ordering a manual trans. or factory reman.

04PassatTDI

TDI
04 Passat TDI
I have a good used transmission if you are interested, but you'll need to come get it.
Thanks but I don't think I'll be making it to st. Louis anytime soon LOL. I found one at my local yard that I might be picking up since it's a little cheaper than going the manual route right now

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Do they know mileage? Are you replacing it yourself?

If no to either question, just be warned you may be doing this again sooner than you want at a lost cost of parts and/or labor, which could go to a VW reman unit or manual.

04PassatTDI

TDI
04 Passat TDI
Do they know mileage? Are you replacing it yourself?

If no to either question, just be warned you may be doing this again sooner than you want at a lost cost of parts and/or labor, which could go to a VW reman unit or manual.
yea mileage is 88K and yea i will be doing it myself. Im not in any huge rush since this is just a 3rd vehicle for me.

stamp11127

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 2003 Jetta 5sp 2005 Passat Wagon 5sp project
Rule of thumb for the junk yards, if it doesn't have body damage from being in a wreck it is in there for engine/transmission problems.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
A reputable auto recycler has a method in place to insure (at least to some degree) that a unit such as an engine or transmission is "known good" prior to being sold.

However, in some cases if something sits for a while it can be bad now even if it was good then. And in the case of a BHW Passat, you are talking a car that is now over a decade old. So it either has a lot of miles on it, or it has been sitting for a while. Couple that with the low volume of these cars sold, means the task may be more difficult than it seems.

Usually for us, the 3-7 year old higher volume cars are the easiest to source stuff for in the recycled department. And we buy from networked recyclers that have a good reputation.

04PassatTDI

TDI
04 Passat TDI
A reputable auto recycler has a method in place to insure (at least to some degree) that a unit such as an engine or transmission is "known good" prior to being sold.

However, in some cases if something sits for a while it can be bad now even if it was good then. And in the case of a BHW Passat, you are talking a car that is now over a decade old. So it either has a lot of miles on it, or it has been sitting for a while. Couple that with the low volume of these cars sold, means the task may be more difficult than it seems.

Usually for us, the 3-7 year old higher volume cars are the easiest to source stuff for in the recycled department. And we buy from networked recyclers that have a good reputation.
Good points. I may end up going the manual swap route because I've read about it, but I have no idea where to source it from

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
FWIW, I'm traveling to Colorado in October. If something falls through/the junk yard part doesn't work out/you don't get to it for 6 months, I'd be willing to haul Oilhammer's out to you.

It's not ideal but I thought I'd offer.

04PassatTDI

TDI
04 Passat TDI
FWIW, I'm traveling to Colorado in October. If something falls through/the junk yard part doesn't work out/you don't get to it for 6 months, I'd be willing to haul Oilhammer's out to you.

Yeah I do definitely appreciate the offer and if something does fall through I might take you up on that

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Good points. I may end up going the manual swap route because I've read about it, but I have no idea where to source it from
I would buy a complete manual swap kit from Frans at http://www.dutchautoparts.com/contact_us.php
He has a great reputation on this site (see his thread in the vendors section) and can get you anything for a good price. I hear it is best to phone him. He is very busy!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yea mileage is 88K and yea i will be doing it myself. Im not in any huge rush since this is just a 3rd vehicle for me.
Have them prove it that in only has 88K. Most junkyards always say it's a low mileage part, even if it isn't. Never trust what they say unless they can prove it.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI

You'll need a pickup truck to carry that transmission.

suncoug

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
If you are not in a hurry and if you have access to a junk yard that has VW B5/B5.5 Passats, you might be able to obtain most of what you need from there pretty cheap. I found one in amazing shape and got most of what I needed for about 60 bucks.

Of course, you will need to source a proper manual trans. from Europe, but you might find that it is cheaper and easier than you might think. I ordered one from Fran a week ago, and it is supposed to be in tomorrow, which is amazing considering the weight of the package at almost 100lb and the package is coming from the Netherlands via FedEx. The shipping cost was included in the price, which was pretty reasonable.

04PassatTDI

TDI
04 Passat TDI
If you are not in a hurry and if you have access to a junk yard that has VW B5/B5.5 Passats, you might be able to obtain most of what you need from there pretty cheap. I found one in amazing shape and got most of what I needed for about 60 bucks.

Of course, you will need to source a proper manual trans. from Europe, but you might find that it is cheaper and easier than you might think. I ordered one from Fran a week ago, and it is supposed to be in tomorrow, which is amazing considering the weight of the package at almost 100lb and the package is coming from the Netherlands via FedEx. The shipping cost was included in the price, which was pretty reasonable.
yea so far this is most likely the route im going to go. There is a TON of the B5/5.5's at a yard not far from me.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you are in a pinch, you can use a V6 transmission too. It will just rev a little higher than the diesel ones from Europe.

04PassatTDI

TDI
04 Passat TDI
If you are in a pinch, you can use a V6 transmission too. It will just rev a little higher than the diesel ones from Europe.
Yeah I honestly I was thinking about doing this and since I don't do a lot of Highway miles the RPM thing doesn't bother me too much but Ive been trying to read up on it and it looks like I use a 1.8t flywheel and clutch combo?
Sorry im new to vdubs and still learning!

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Plenty of threads here on swapping from an auto to a man. Look for postings by "Frans" - he is the guy who runs Dutch Auto Parts. If you get an auto from a junk yard, it has to be from a TDI otherwise, the gearing is wrong and the TCU will not work. Other sources of info - look in the wiki at www.myturbodiesel.com

04PassatTDI

TDI
04 Passat TDI
Plenty of threads here on swapping from an auto to a man. Look for postings by "Frans" - he is the guy who runs Dutch Auto Parts. If you get an auto from a junk yard, it has to be from a TDI otherwise, the gearing is wrong and the TCU will not work. Other sources of info - look in the wiki at www.myturbodiesel.com
Thanks, yea I wont be going with another auto after seeing the failure rate on these things.