valve cover gasket leak

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
Trying to attack some of my oil leaks...the front crank and cam seals are good as is the rear main seal. Looks like everything in between is a gusher lol. Any tips on getting the valve cover gasket to seal up properly? I have a new gasket installed and I still have weeping on the downhill side....do I need to install the gasket bone dry or does it matter if its oily? I am tempted to apply some rtv.

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS tdi wagon
could also be the tandem pump or it's gasket.

not sure on the gasket. I will be changing mine soon too.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
If it is a significant amount of oil, as stated above start with the TP gasket. The TP itself can be leaking too which will seem like a gusher.

Inspect the back side of the TP with a mirror while running, if possible.

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
I'm not saying its not the TP gasket, but it has been recently replaced in the last 15K miles. I'll take a look just to be sure.

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS tdi wagon
I changed my TP gasket a while back. I should have replaced the whole TP.
I have one ready to go on.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
A lot of people including myself have used a gasket sealant on the valve cover gasket to get it to stop leaking. Needs to the proper oil resistant stuff but it works well.

Mine was leaking quite badly when I got the car, fresh oil all down the back of the engine, even ruined the dogbone, mk4 golf PD.

I took the cover off, cleaned everything up, applied a thin smear of sealant and refitted the cover. Been all dry since.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I have found this to be effective too

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Was your TP gasket or the TP itself replaced? If the gasket, I am suggesting you inspect the TP itself. I have had them leak really bad at the back plate

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
I replaced both the tandem pump and the gasket. I still have not had time to try and seal this thing up. Work has taken front seat last couple of weeks. I should hope to spend some time on it this coming weekend. I will probably end up with some rtv smeared on as suggested.

Gustav

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I'm interested to see what you find.

I've been chasing a similar leak that's been hard to stop - replaced the gasket and bolts on the valve cover, the tandem pump gasket: no change. Went back and re-sealed the cover with some grey, oil-resistant RTV all around, and smeared some on the edges of the tandem pump plates/covers, and it's moderately better but still leaking.

If yours is like mine, the oil is coming (mostly) around the back right corner, making it tough to figure out if it's the pump or the valve cover gasket. I like VWZtips' tip to watch with a mirror while running.

Hope you solve it! (and if I find a solution, will let you know - might help).

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
It's been a long time since I did this, but I got frustrated by the same thing and took the intake manifold off in order to see the entire passenger side. I had already got rid of the EGR cooler, so not much to it.

With IM off, you can inspect much better, and the big plus is that you can verify the cover gasket is truly seated at the back corner, the crucial spot because of the manifold overhang. I used the gray sealant like others mentioned, and it has been good over 1 year since. Good luck!