Sotam123's Mk4 Golf TDI progress thread

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
Ok well i just thought id post a little progress thread of my car.
So i bought here in the beginning of october 2011 with a little under 226000km.
Its a GLS with 5 speed manual trans. The owner seemed to take very good care of the engine, but not the rest(body/interior) and there were some signs of rust.
some of the future plans:
-Fix front rocker panel rust(not covered under vw warranty anymore ;( )
-get rid of summer steelies and get some mags (16/17inch)
-Replace passenger fender(rusted)
-Jolf conversion?
-trunk handle shave
-satin black door handles/rubstrips
-Coilovers
-turbo upgrade/chip?
-possibly leather interior upgrade?
Here are some pictures from the day i first got her:

the rust :(

Washed her asap (polished the headlights a few weeks later, they looked like new)

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
November 2011:
Decided to re-do my door pannels with another pattern to change up the look a bit,

Then i go a sweet deal on a set of 6 spoke mk1 audi TT 17"mags, no curbage but the paint is peeling, also got a cheap set of summer tires that would do me one summer..

December 2011
Decided to do the "Evry Mod" with the on/off switch, and was very pleased with the results. the mod that i used can be found here: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f5/evry-mod-toggle-switch-%3D-smoke-mod-pics-vids-links-11767/
I also got myself a euroswitch and installed the factory style rear fog kit from ecstuning.
Finally i found an awesome deal on a jetta front end that i couldnt pass out..Jolf here i come :D
January 2012
Got myself and installed a boost gauge with the steering column pod.
Painted the 2 mirror casings in satin black(still need to replace driver side mirror glass as its all burnt)

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
February 2012
My ac compressor got busted, so i had to replace that and also got a new tensionner and a a/c service.
Also found a set of jetta GLX headlights that would go good with my front end plans and with my euroswitch since they are the ones with the integrated fogs.
-Also decided to do my headliner and go with something a little original...

Did also get a chance to replace my old nasty oem 4 spoke steering wheel with a gti 3 spoke wheel i got for a steal
here is how the interior is now(minus headliner):

Also i got my allard egr delete kit and a oil catch can that i ordered off the ebay.

March 2012 to now
As for this month, i swapped the jetta front end onto my car(took about 5 hours with another friend but could have been shorter) here are some progress pics:
stripped

finished

Also got a pair on used(almost like new) rear door window divider bars which had almost not rust, coated the with a layer of POR15 and gave them a coat of satin black trim paint to give them the oem look, should be installing them later on this week.
Today i replaced the whole window mecanism and the glass from my driver windshield with a dealer upgrade kit i got from my local vw dealer a couple months ago..the reason i also replaced the glass in because it had fallen into the door a couple times and when i fished it out of there the window rails left 2 huge scatches on it that i could not ever live with..Also while the door handle was off i painted it satin black as i want o paint them all that colour..

The snow has fully melted of the streets, cant wait to be able to switch back to summer tires in 3 days, much better than having sluchy salty road everywere...

Anyways my plan for the next month is to get my lca bushings replaced, and also get some other misc drivetrain parts replaced. Also I am currently trying to source a MK5 gas cap popper actuator for my shaved trunk project..

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
Can we see some more pics? I am very curious about how this will look, never seen the Jetta front on a Golf.
If you go on google and type Jolf or Jti you should be able to find quite a few, its a bolt on swap. And if you type Getta youl find the reverse(jetta with golf front end) , but i dont think they look as good as a Jolf.
3L3M3NT said:
Wow, nice progress so far. Look forward to seeing future progress.
Well ill be posting more picture very soon, yesterday i put on my summer tires/mags and started my trunk latch delete, will be getting the blank sheet metal welded on the trunk today then ill post the progress pics...

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
1/2
ok soo its been a few week, soo here is a little update on what ive been up to..
on march 15th i installed my summer mags, they look pretty nice and turn a lot of heads;

while washing it later on that day some paint chipped off then trunk around the handle area, soo i finally decided to take care of this problem by shaving my trunk latch, after a little searching i found a diy for this and decided to tackle this myself..was pretty easy to do just needed a mk5 rabbit/golf gas door actuator motor (about 50$ at dealer), and a black piece of sheet metal to fill the hole(made one out of my rusty golf fender :D)
here is how it turned out;
before:

handle dismantled :D :

blank welded on:

some filler(fixed some dents while i was at it..):

primed(how it currently is):

it currently is still on primer because is havent had a chance to fix the imperfections and also the temperature has gone down...

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
2/2
after that i decided to paint my rubstrips in satin black..masking was fun hehe

i also got the chance to replace one of my rear door glass bars(i call them rust bars :) ), for those who havent done this before i must warn you its a real big paint in the arse!!! lots of cursing was involved but in the end it was all worth it(or maybe not ;) ).
here is the comparison:

for now thats all..im starting to order the required parts to replace my lca bushings..will be putting some r32/tt ones as ive heard they are my more solid..also i think that my front strut mount bushings are finished so im probably going to just get some coilovers while im at it..

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
well, tomorrow ill be ordering the ecstuning stage 2 suspension refurb kit and a pair of end links since im planing to refurb my front suspension soon..also ordered a 2002+ new style key fob from ebay ,as i have the older style one and i absolutly hate it, soo i will be converting it to the newer style with a diy i found online.

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
Bad things >:/

Ok so time for another update, but not a very good one...
Bad thing #1
ok soo 2 weeks ago i was coming back from work on the freeway around 11pm and pass a construction zone, after which i take the first exit. as i get close to the exit(still not merged into exit lane) i see a guy with a A4 Fixing hes flat tire(seemed to be having trouble), and so i tell myself ill stop and ask him if he needs help(would have normally just droven by..). As my front passenger side wheel passes into the exit lane, my car just jumps and i hear a big "POW" , i then realise i just got a flat too.. i pull over behind the guy with hes audi and he explains to mee that he go a flat at the same spot and that there was another guy that got a flat tire before i showed up...anyways i put on my spare and go home...the next day i drive by the exit again(dont dare to take it) and see that there is a new "patch on the highway " soo my guess is that it was probably a small pothole, since i never had this problem with my 15in steelies in winter...
Anyways call transport quebec but they arent returning my call/messages(typical).
The next day i got a set of bfgoodrich g force tires for dirt cheap(120$ for 4) and they were like new(guy said he used them for only 1 year season), they still have good thread, anyways the other tires needed replacing...
Bad thing #2
Ok soo here is current "situation", 2 days ago on easter, i was driving on this road comming back home from seeing a friend that moved (about 100km away from my place) and on my ways back i decided to take a short cut(or i thought) threw a gravel road. Anyways as i take the turn into the gravel road i see the gravel is pretty big at the beginning (going from asphalt to big rocks to fine gravel) and head a few rock debris sounds comming from under my car and just ignore it..about a few hundred metters into the road i realised it wasnt going anywere soo i decide to make a u-turn. As soon i the car is turned around i see a distint trail of black liquid which id didnt remeber too have seen on my way into the road...i stop my car(still running) get out and look under my car...all i can see is oil spewing out of my oil pan(like if you open your sink on full blast...I curse reallly bad then rush and run the engine OFF....i ended up getting it towed home...

the hole:
tow ride home :
as you can see the hole is located right under the oil pan plug, its about the size of a pencil...
anyways, today i orded a new hybrid oil pan from ecstuning for 87$, its the 2 piece pan with the steel bottom that wonk crack unlike the oem full aluminium one. Will be slapping it on as soon as i get it, but untill then my car will be stuck on my driveway, just sitting there waiting to be driven :( . On the bright side, since the hole is right under the oil pan plug atleast i wont need to empty the oil(have chances to fail and stain the driveway), soo atleast i have one step of completed :D
Also im thinking of maybe getting(or making my own) metal skid plate, since i might be dropping my car 1.5/2inches in the near future, or maybe motor mount spacers(but that sounds complicated...)

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Lol you learn as you go with the Mk4 platform, they are pretty low already but I still dropped mine 35mm. It looks a lot better and I have a spare pan in the shed lol.
Those "rust bars" too, the little triangular piece unclips from the rest of the bar and is easier to change over. Bit late but thought I'd tell you anyway :D

There's loads of guys over here do the same sort of conversion with the front ends too except the jetta is called a bora over here. We didn't get the wagon/estate version but folk just do it to the golf estates. Look like mini passats.
I don't think the spacers are a big job either, there's a few folk with them fitted but their cars are totally slammed, not really much room for your fingers lol.

What's the spec on your car? have you got all the electric windows and remote locking etc?

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
yea, when i was first looking for tdi, i originally wanted to try to get my hads on the wagon, but they a much more pricey(double the price of a golf or jetta(bora)), soo o just went with the golf.
Mine is a GLS soo i have evrything electric, doors,windows,cruise(bit dosent work).. It came with the small single din radio(no cd player). I dont have the climatronic, and no sun roof(I wish i had ;( ) Also since its the earlyer 2000 model i dont have the lcd display on the cluster with fuel consomuption& temp.

As for lowering, i too would like to go a little lower (~30mm), but i have much more stuff to do before i even think about getting coilovers(fix pan, fron suspension refresh, egr delete(intake mani. clean), fix rust on rocker pannels, )

soo well see how that goes..should be getting my parts from ecs tunning next week, soo ill post an update then..

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The cluster's an easy mod, the threads on here for it, there's this one

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=459818

I have the plainer one that has the half display, you just need someone with vag tacho to code them in then it's just a case of adding in the extra wires. The outside air temp sensor sits down behind the bottom left grill on the front bumper, one wire goes to the cluster and the other's an earth. You'll see where it sits in post #10 of this thread.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=261027

Here's how mines sitting just now

I want the 4 motion rear valance with the cut out for tail pipes and some nice wheels but it's all on the never ending list lol

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
You sir own my dream car <3
looks very nice, thanks for sharing the thread ill have a look...

btw what are you lowered on? im thinking of getting a set of joms since they are reletivly cheap and seem to have good reviews, im looking to get the same amount of drop as you(enough to drive around in the crappy streets of quebec). just waiting to get my refresh kit and fix up the lca bushings/ball joins/tie rods/ strut mounts..and of course the oil pan lool
but it's all on the never ending list lol
tell me about it..! now i need to add(lcd cluster display to it!!! THANKS A BUNCH!! :mad::D;) )

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm just on 35mm springs, I got some swedish things called lesjefors, they're pretty good. I was going to get some koni's with the 40mm drop but I'm kind of glad they stopped making them lol. It's way low enough for my travels as it is.

As for the bushes on the lca don't forget to buy the audi TT/R32 ones, they're far better than the standard ones, part number is 8N0 407 181 B
I found the regular one just went poop withing a few months where as these are on their second car lol. I used to have a seat hence the user name.

It was pretty funky but rust was catching up and getting the panels etc was really difficult. They only made them for a couple of years in that style and only a few came over here. Most of them stayed in spain.

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Damn that sucks about the oil pan. I just measured my fender to ground on my Golf: 23 3/4" inches, no oil pan problems...*knock on wood*

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As said I have a spare lol, as long as you stop when you here that loud CRACK! lol the engine will be fine once the new pan is on. You also get those hybrid ones, shallow ones and engine spacers, all of which I think would be lighter than adding a big heavy plate to the front.
I'd have a plate if I was rallying but I'm not so I wont :D

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
yeah i ordered the hybrid plate , defenetly also going to get a metal skid plate(panzer)... im not shure about the engine spacer tho, sounds like a very good idea but also kinda complicated, idk maybe its just me. When i replace my oil pan im going to try to fix my old one; take it to school and re-weld the hole shut since its not that big(pencil tip size)

Anyways i think the hybrid plate and a metal skid plate(will buy it anytime before winter) will be enough..i guess i didnt evaluate the gravel road well and didnt pay attention, its not like ill be slamming my car anytime soon :p

Last edited:

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
Ok soo here is another update, its been a while..
I got my order with the replacement oilpan, ordered a hybrid one since ive heard good this about it and they are much more durable.Also you can see in the following pic i got a roof rack,it was all rusted up and had no key but for 20$ i couldnt pass it up..

here is a comparison picture between old/new. you can see were i got the hole next to the drain plug on the old pan..

also since i couldnt drive the car for a week, i decided to paint my front end diy style just to make it more or less the same colour. also while the fender were off i coated the frame with truck bedcoating a certain spots to prevent corosion..

final product(not bad for rattle can, although i need to redo the hood):

also i yesterday i went to a car meet called "JDM monday meet" were mostly japanese cars meet up, and i found out they took a picc of the jolf yay;

thats all for now, i still need to change my lca bushing and tie rods and as soon as thats all done im probably gonna get some JOM coilovers. Also my friend may hood me up with .205 nozzels.. And ill also need to finish smoothing/paint my trunk

Last edited:

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
well it was supposed to be the same but my car has already been repainted in the past by a previous owner soo i suspect thats why i couldnt get a perfect match, i knew this would happen, but its just too make it look more or less the same, i would love to get the whole car repainted in the futur, but its not on the top of my list atm..

DumpInfo

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI
Nice conversion...actually silver is probably the hardest colour to match after it's been painted.

What colour were you thinking of painting it?

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
Nice conversion...actually silver is probably the hardest colour to match after it's been painted.

What colour were you thinking of painting it?
Well the paint is not my top priority right now, but when the day comes these will be mychoices:
1.dark gray (like on the gli jetta)
2.reflex silver
3.some sort of brownish colour

for now the job i did seems to be good enough, will see how long it holds up..i also might add a plaid pattern on the hood since it needs to be redone, and i also have a friend that is gonna make me a nice grafiti tag in the inside part of the hood soo that should be cool..

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Isn't your car reflex silver? The wing you painted isn't, you're car looks like mine regarding the wing. My car is reflex silver but the wing isn't yet, it will be at some point though.
Anyway what's your colour code?