www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old July 17th, 2017, 05:50   #1
RoundHouse
Veteran Member

Default Beetle tail light socket melting

Am I the only one that has constant problems with the Beetle tail light socket melting?

Mrs Roundhouse drives daily in Atlanta traffic so the brakes are on alot when sitting in traffic, but Ive owned dozens of cars over the years and never had brakelight sockets melt

Ive replaced the sockets several times,
tried to switch to LED bulbs but that freaks out the on board computer,

anyone know exactly which resistors I need to use to keep the computer from freaking out with LED bulbs?

Im planning on drilling a hole in the back of the tail light and installing a universal metal socket, with an LED bulb, and maybe use the incandescent bulb in the new metal socket and put the LED in the VW socket that melts.

Or maybe just let the incandescent bulb dangle behind the housing in the empty space and splice on a LED bulb to go in the tail light
RoundHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:46   #2
Rembrant
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundHouse View Post
Am I the only one that has constant problems with the Beetle tail light socket melting?

anyone know exactly which resistors I need to use to keep the computer from freaking out with LED bulbs?
I had to replace the drivers side tail light assembly on my 2000 Beetle when I had it, and it was melted...but it was also cracked. I can't say what happened first, the crack or the melted plastic...but the problem I had was water getting in when it rained, which made my lights do funky things (of course). I only noticed the melted portion after I removed the tail light housing when chasing down the lighting issue.

Anyway...as far as the LED's go, there is one of the forum vendors that sells the error-free LED lights. Link below. I don't have them myself, so I can't comment much...but I wouldn't bother wiring in resistors, etc if I could buy the correct LED that was plug-N-play. YMMV.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=443449
Rembrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:59   #3
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45-51.9

You would have to solder any resistors in a place that heat will not affect anything else.
As Rembrant said, it's much easier to install bulbs with built-in resistors.
I'm not sure that would fix the issue though.

Resistors create heat to dissipate the excess energy.

You can get a flasher relay designed for the led bulbs instead. They expect less resistance in the circuit
Old July 17th, 2017, 09:16   #4
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Seems like you have to find a model with LED from the factory and get the emergency flasher unit from it for that fix to work.
This is the most annoying thing about VW, they always re-invent the wheel.
Old July 17th, 2017, 09:50   #5
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

The answer to your question is 1ohm for each side per turn signal bulb replaced with LED.
Old July 17th, 2017, 19:24   #6
RoundHouse
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
I had to replace the drivers side tail light assembly on my 2000 Beetle when I had it, and it was melted...but it was also cracked. I can't say what happened first, the crack or the melted plastic...but the problem I had was water getting in when it rained, which made my lights do funky things (of course). I only noticed the melted portion after I removed the tail light housing when chasing down the lighting issue.

Anyway...as far as the LED's go, there is one of the forum vendors that sells the error-free LED lights. Link below. I don't have them myself, so I can't comment much...but I wouldn't bother wiring in resistors, etc if I could buy the correct LED that was plug-N-play. YMMV.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=443449

Apparently they don't have them for Beetles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 17th, 2017, 19:38   #7
RoundHouse
Veteran Member

Default Beetle tail light socket melting

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieleephd View Post
Seems like you have to find a model with LED from the factory and get the emergency flasher unit from it for that fix to work.

This is the most annoying thing about VW, they always re-invent the wheel.

No kidding
And it's dangerous
The computer stops the hazard lights or turn signals from working at all if it thinks one bulb is out

So you're broke down on the side of of the road and the flashers won't work at all
Instead of a normal car flashing whatever bulbs are not burned out

Is it the flasher or the computer that causes all the problems ?

I've got working right now with LEDs and resistors on the signals and LEDs and a small marker light jumped across the brake light and parking light on one side to make the computer think there is still an incandescent bulb in it

I had to hack something together so the car can be driven
The cops around here are nothing but revenue collection officers
It's a $350 ticket for a non working tail light

I can't believe there has not been a recall or class action lawsuit about the brake light bulb sockets melting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 19th, 2017, 09:16   #8
jetlagmech
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 jetta
Fuel Economy: best tank 50.6, worst 36

melting means heat. heat without enough amperage to blow a fuse means arcing. That would be from loose or corroded connections or not tight crimps on connectors. replacing the socket and several inches of wire should solve the problem.

I always pay attention to how tight things are when plugging them in. if connectors slide together too easy then might need to squeeze the female side of the connector so it grips tighter. a little grease on the bulb base helps fight against corrosion also.
1946 Luscombe 8E
jetlagmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 10:50   #9
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

First, there is no "computer" on the NB's lighting system. The CCM does tie into the flasher circuit for arm/disarm functions, if enabled, but that is it, and normally it is just a pass-through circuit. It still has a conventional flasher that is integral with the hazard switch. Nothing special about the tail or brake lights (or reverse lights, for that matter).

High heat is from high resistance, which on a light circuit is typically from a poor connection. LOTS of Volkswagens get incorrect bulbs put in them, too. Most parts stores will not even have the correct bulbs for your car on the shelf. Also, as mentioned above, if water gets in there somehow, it will cause all sorts of problems.

What I find is sometimes the little tangs down in the sockets need a careful tweaking to make better contact. But again, the correct bulb is key. The OEM supplier is OSRAM/Sylvania, and the bulb numbers are 7528 and 7506. They have a nickel base for better contact, and over time that base eventually wears down, and the bulb needs to be replaced even if the filament has not failed. This is where all too often the incorrect bulbs from a parts store find their way in there, like an 1157 or something, which is not the correct one. I fix these all the time. Not sure there is cause for a class action lawsuit for people putting the wrong bulbs in their car and causing damage to the fixture.

Last edited by oilhammer; July 19th, 2017 at 10:58.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote