www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old January 29th, 2017, 14:46   #106
algirdas
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 jetta AHU

Subscribed
Old June 24th, 2017, 19:23   #107
chaloux
Veteran Member

Which hoses did you use to hook up the AC, and did you use the allroad or the passat condenser? My sister bought a swap and the person who swapped it used (as far as I can tell) the allroad condenser and left the passat hoses/compressor intact, but the one hose will not connect up to the condenser. Any insight would be appreciated!
- RIP 98 Beetle (LDL BGR)
EGR delete - Manual glow-plug button
chaloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 20:15   #108
vwztips
Veteran Member

When I did mine I used all the Passat parts to the firewall
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 18:09   #109
Owain@malonetuning

Glad to see more photos of this rig! Digging the shop chair, going to have to make me one of those. Would be lying if I said I didn't use GTI seats in my parts/N64 room, no wonder I'm single

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:28   #110
duwerk

Default AC Problem Solved??

Just wondering if you ever got the A/C working. My 02 S4 Avant with BHW is sorta the same thing. Something is missing in communications and fans and a/c will not function on their own. I can jump wires and force it to work but cant get the system to do it on its own. Among other issues, this is one I would like to try to fix. Let us know. Thank you
duwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 09:27   #111
vwztips
Veteran Member

On my Allroad conversion the A/C head unit will turn on when it sees a tach signal from the engine. The normal BHW set up in the Passat gets that signal over the CAN Bus. Fortunately pin T94/28 is also a stand alone tach signal. I used this for the Allroad tach and just one of the A/C head unit controller wires. Once it see the that the engine is running it will turn on the compressor clutch.
Of course not 100% sure this will work on the A4.
Props to Hasenwerk for the pin 28 information!
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 06:25   #112
duwerk

Thanks for the tip about pin 28, maybe my cluster is not sending signal on one of the 8 wires that runs to and from the HVAC unit. But those wires are not really disclosed as to what they do. I do have tachometer working fine. I have tons of Can issues with different modules not wishing to speak with each other, but HVAC only reports it doesn't see coolant temp which is weird too as temp guage works fine on cluster and the ECU sees temp fine as well. All those wires that go from cluster to HVAC are pre existing, so I am not sure why A/C won't work or I have no coolant temp when I log in with VCDS. I should also be sure the HVAC sees RPM signal like you suggested. I have a lot of time into this over different periods. Then I walk away for a while and do other things and forget about it. I was really hoping to figure it out this time.
duwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 15:16   #113
GoremanX
Veteran Member

I've figured out that the ECU needs to be re-coded to support climatronic for A/C to work on my B5 A4 with BHW. With the OEM BHW tune, this is possible by just going to the ECU coding module in VCDS. However, if you're running a Malone tune, he uses a BEW file as the base for BHW manual transmission setups, and the BEW was never available with climatronic so you lose the ability to recode for that feature. When I flashed the OEM BHW file to my ECU and recoded for climatronic, A/C worked perfectly and the climatronic unit had complete control over it. But the engine runs like crap because it's a far cry from stock. As soon as the appropriate Malone tune is flashed, I lose all A/C functionality.

Last I heard, Malone is working on a fix for this issue, but it hasn't been done yet. In the meantime, I've hooked up a fused relay and switch that sends 12v directly to the compressor clutch so I can turn on A/C manually. This has served well enough, although I really hope it's just a temporary kludge.