www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old July 16th, 2017, 06:57   #46
DIESELMAN3500
Veteran Member

Family is split between fords and chevys and I'll never buy a ford with the troubles we have had. All the way from the 6.9idi to the 6.7 power stroke. Fuel pumps going, injectors needing rebuilds at 2600$ a set, high pressure oil pump needing replacement at 1000$. Oil coolers leaking in the 6.0, headhaskets on the 6.0 if u don't treat them right. Oil pressure regulators. Have you ever changed a serpentine belt on a 6.0l ?.

99 cummins has 300k on it and put 3 vp44 in it and 2 transmissions. My 01 has the 6 speed nv5600, tows anything great and pulls the hills at 68mph no issues at all. Injectors are cheap, headstuds are cheap for mild hp increase security.
Yes dodge trucks do rust away but I have seen plenty of fords in the same boat.

Never had a chevy. But they ride a lot smoother due to the independent front suspension.

Buy a truck from the lower states that don't use salt and your ahead of the game. Auto or stick they both need work.
DIESELMAN3500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 12:39   #47
crazyrunner33
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '10 Golf

I forgot about the 1st generation of the 24 valve ISB with the VP44, repressed memories for a reason. I also lost two IPs, and the 47RE in factory form couldn't hold anything, then mistakes were made, I went ATS. A few "built" purple trannies later and I was off into the 12 valve 5 speed world. The 47RE is a good transmission when built properly, there's a reason Duramax drag racers swap to them, but there's plenty of snake oil transmission builders out there.
Old July 16th, 2017, 12:42   #48
crazyrunner33
Veteran Member

The big issue with the VP44 on the Cummins is that it has its own independent computer on top of the pump that has to also work with the ECU, unlike the VP37 on the ALH which is controlled by the ECU. It's usually the computer that that overheats on the VP44, people even tried coming up with ice bag solutions for it. The later build VP seem to be more reliable. The CP3 in the common rail however is bullet proof, early years have some injector issues, but those were sorted out by '06.
Old July 17th, 2017, 06:30   #49
\/\/0J0
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: At least 2x that of my TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunner33 View Post
The big issue with the VP44 on the Cummins is that it has its own independent computer on top of the pump that has to also work with the ECU, unlike the VP37 on the ALH which is controlled by the ECU. It's usually the computer that that overheats on the VP44, people even tried coming up with ice bag solutions for it. The later build VP seem to be more reliable. The CP3 in the common rail however is bullet proof, early years have some injector issues, but those were sorted out by '06.
I've read (admittedly, not in great detail) about swapping a mechanical VE pump in place of the vp44 pump. Seems that with the replacement of the timing gear housing and addition of throttle linkage, one can swap the trouble prone vp44 to a mechanical VE pump..?

Sent from my mobile look-at device

"Those willing to sacrifice Liberty for Security deserve neither" -Ben Franklin
\/\/0J0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 10:10   #50
crazyrunner33
Veteran Member

It probably can be done, but there's kits to swapping over to the P7100 which is near bulletproof. The VE for the 6BT is nice and works well in factory form, plus the dynamic timing. But the P7100 is more desirable.

The VP44 failures seem to be rare if they were replaced a while after the the transition from LSD to ULSD, and there may have been a design revision since the last time I used a VP close to ten years ago. My buddy services a few Cummins engines with the VP44 rated to 445 hp at over 3k RPM, he proof tests them for one customer every month by running it at full throttle for 24 hours, emergency shutdown temp is set for 2900 degree EGT. He hasn't had many issues with the IP, but for some reason they're problematic in the Rams.
Old July 19th, 2017, 13:35   #51
greenskeeper
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrunner33 View Post
Of course, you can always prevent it by just not towing in 5th gear, 4th gear is the powerhouse that can take all the abuse. If you do use 5th, don't drop under 2000 RPM, and don't even think about giving her a hot supper. This same mindset goes for any diesel truck with a manual transmission, keep O/D for cruising, not for accelerating.
So I shouldn't engage 5th gear until 75mph? Get outta here.

Every manual transmission vehicle I've owned I've lugged in 5th gear from idle, never had a transmission failure.

It's a known defect with the NV4500. Most just tack weld the nut and be done with it.
99 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L PSD ZF-6 (4" turbo back, Hydra chip)
greenskeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 16:13   #52
carsaremytoys
Veteran Member

Okay all, if I do find a 2wd that I can't refuse, I'll lower it. Yeah I know it's the opposite of what I'm looking for, but I can't help it and I could make it work for my needs, I think... When lowering the rear, I'm not losing any ground clearance right? Just lowering the body via blocks. But with the front I'm not sure how they are lowered?
carsaremytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 08:01   #53
crazyrunner33
Veteran Member

carsaremytoys, most people lower the front by switching to a 1500 front suspension setup. A quick Google search for lowering 2wd competition diesel forum will show a few builds on Competition Diesel forums. I'm only familiar with lowering the 4wd a few inches, not the 2wd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskeeper View Post
So I shouldn't engage 5th gear until 75mph? Get outta here.

Every manual transmission vehicle I've owned I've lugged in 5th gear from idle, never had a transmission failure.
If that's what you're into, who am I to pee in your cornflakes? Cruising under 2,000 isn't too bad, as long as if there's no load. But accelerating or running a heavy load is just an unnecessary risk, especially since the engine performs so much better at high RPM. The coolant system is much more efficient with higher RPM, there's more oil flow, less stresses, and more power. These engines were designed to run all day long at full throttle from 2k RPM to 3k RPM. Even Cummins themselves recommends against lugging the engine.

I've busted fifth twice running low RPM and accelerated, and my father has done so as well when towing. Keeping the acceleration at the higher RPM has resulted in zero 5th gear issues since 2009, that's with 525 HP and 1,180 lb-feet of torque and running to the end of the tach a few times a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskeeper View Post

It's a known defect with the NV4500. Most just tack weld the nut and be done with it.
And a good chunk of those guys come back for seconds.