www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 30th, 2017, 07:10   #1
ACMTDiJet

Fuel Economy: About 45(im not very gentle)
Default 2004 passat gear ratio fault.

Good morning tdiclub. I have a bhw passat with a gmr auto. I know these things are pretty much known for failures however im more interested in the diagnosis portion. The car has almost 270k. I dont know if the gmr is OG or not but heres the skinny.
Had P0741 so i know it needs a TC.
Then tiptronic stopped working.
Now in limp mode with PRND432 lit up with gear ratio monitoring and excessive clutch slippage faults
Now im not looking for someone to say "Trans is junk" cause im already gonna replace it with a new TC. The wife likes it to be automatic so no manual swap.
I am curious on how to determine if the gear selector module is bad as well since tiptronic hasnt been working. Checked under the pass. carpet and found no water damage or broken or bad wires and the TCM was sealed up good. Any help, advice or overall sympathy would be much appreciated.
ACMTDiJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 11:00   #2
suncoug

In the interest of saving time and your sanity, I would assume the worst, which is the most likely scenario. Your option is to either replace it with a factory reman. auto or a manual swap. It may cost at least $5k, unless you can do the work yourself.

There is no easy or cheap option with these cars.
suncoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 06:19   #3
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

So prior to the transmission dying the selector worked fine except for the tip side, correct? If so then I saw a post sometime ago that there are magnets or such on that side of the shifter that sense when the handle is moved. If you can find that post it explains how to fix them.
Old July 13th, 2017, 12:32   #4
d0u8l3m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): B5.5 Passat

If you need a good working auto lmk im getting my manual swap done soon
d0u8l3m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 11:11   #5
ACMTDiJet

Thanks everyone, i got a used auto and TC with 6 month warranty for 2k and installed it with new bolts, the whole nine. Test drove. Constant p0741 and incorrect gear ratio in every gear. Once im done ripping my hair out ill be figuring out another plan.
Old July 16th, 2017, 11:17   #6
ACMTDiJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrove View Post
So prior to the transmission dying the selector worked fine except for the tip side, correct? If so then I saw a post sometime ago that there are magnets or such on that side of the shifter that sense when the handle is moved. If you can find that post it explains how to fix them.
Appreciate the help. After i replaced trans and TC still not tip. Assuming its broken somehow. Ill look for tje post, thanks
Old July 17th, 2017, 04:15   #7
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMTDiJet View Post
Appreciate the help. After i replaced trans and TC still not tip. Assuming its broken somehow. Ill look for tje post, thanks
See this thread (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ghlight=magnet) starting about post 9.

I also found this (http://www.passatworld.com/forums/vo...ssat-audi.html) on another site, unfortunately the pictures are gone.