Possibly to put better transmission in 4cyl TDI?

rw3iss

TDI
2005 Volkswagen Passat TDI 2.0L BHW
I think my transmission might go, but even if it isn't, I'm wondering if it's possible to upgrade the transmission in some way to better handle towing. Is this possible or totally out of the questions?

2005 VW Passat TDI B5.5 BHW 2.0L

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They are pretty good as it is, really. I mean, they use the same basic transmission in cars with much more power, like biturbo V6 Audis and Porsche Boxsters.

Just flush the fluid once in a while like ZF says, always use the parking brake, and it should last as long as any slushbox can and be able to tow anything the rest of the car is able to handle.

rw3iss

TDI
2005 Volkswagen Passat TDI 2.0L BHW
Cool, thanks.
It's been making some funny noises lately, and the car kinda "slips" when going into first gear, so I've been thinking it might be transmission related. It's got 193k miles on it.
What is the deal with these "slips" into first geat and such? Feels like something is a little off but I've noticed this before in other cars. Is it probably transmission related? Is this "slippage" easy to repair by tightening up something or anything else? I'm pretty handy but not with transmission yet. Could replace a head gasket if I had to.

Have to drive 11 hours today with a bunch of stuff in the car and on the roof, so we'll see how it will go.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
The B5 passat manual swap is very commonplace nowadays. I have personally done 10 or so. I actually keep swap kits in stock

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Unfortunately, for "towing" (or even not), the manuals don't really have any better track record. Even all the highest performance Audis like the RS6, etc. get a manditory automatic transmission supplied by ZF.

I'd still much rather have a manual myself. :cool: