leatherette in the summer heat

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
Beige leather seating in my new MK7. Have not had a problem with the seats being hot so far. Would rather have cloth at this point but so far leather is not bad.
The car doesn't sit in the sun for hours though. Exterior is Silk Blue that may help.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
Get ceramic tint. Mine is fairly light, yet it still works unbelievably well. Regular tint isn't even comparable.

Denver isn't as hot, but the thin air makes direct sunlight feel like a blowtorch, and it makes it feel like a cloudy day.

As a reminder of how much it helps, we just bought a used truck as an extra vehicle, and went for a drive. Let's just say I forgot how hot the sun was until I had to drive without ceramic tint.

Joebhtdi

TDI
2010 Jetta sportwagen
Sheepskin seat covers

I had leather seats on my Passat TDI wagon and now have leatherette seats on my 2010 Jetta tdi wagon
I live in hot and humid Florida and in the summer I hated the seats
on both cars
I put on a custom sheepskin seat cover which is much more breathable
and comfortable
I can't use the seat heater but in Florida that is not an issue
When I lived in New Egland I had sheepskin seat seat covers and they were more comfortable on cold mornings also
They are well worth the money

mk7TDI

TDI
What has been the experience with the leatherette in extreme summer temps? I'm in Phoenix, and I've avoided leather, fake or real, due to the 5-6 months of 100 degree heat.
Phoenix here too. 2015 VW Golf TDI with leatherette, my suggestion park in the shade as much as possible. Seat still gets hot due to your car baking like an oven, but it doesn't have the sting from direct sunlight. Direct or indirect, the heat of the seat only lasts for a minute or two once you've sat down. Oh btw it's 110° right now in Phoenix at 5:20pm

VW_TDi_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf-S TDi with DSG
Tint you windows, use a sun visor, leave the windows cracked a little & your back will still get wet.

C C

TDI
GSW
My wife made seat slip covers from beach towels, total cost was $2.10 from the Goodwill store. She found light gray with a nondescript swirly pattern. Seats feel cooler, alleviates sweaty back syndrome and bare skin doesn't stick to the seat. Cheap and easy solution to the problem and considerably more comfortable than velour or Herculon.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
My TDI is white with cornsilk leatherette, and I have 25% ceramic tinting on the front side windows and 18% ceramic on the rear and rear side windows. Even on the scorching hot 100*F days when my car sits outside all day while I am at work, the seats aren't that bad. Within a minute of max AC after start up I am comfortable, and I don't really get a sweaty back.

Personally, I think the perforated leatherette is comfortable enough if it is the cornsilk color. I cannot vouch for the black leatherette, but I'm sure it'll be noticeably hotter.

Having a lighter paint will help, too.

TurboDieselPoint

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My wife made seat slip covers from beach towels, total cost was $2.10 from the Goodwill store. She found light gray with a nondescript swirly pattern. Seats feel cooler, alleviates sweaty back syndrome and bare skin doesn't stick to the seat. Cheap and easy solution to the problem and considerably more comfortable than velour or Herculon.
We did that with the 2000 beetle to try and keep the interior cleaner. For my current road trip, I'm using one of those towels with a metal clamp to keep it in place. Makes a 3000 mile trip more comfortable.

TDI BR

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf TDI SE manual
I've got a 2015 black golf with black/gray interior.. The seats are all a light gray color and to be honest they suck.. I'm constantly sitting up to pull my shirt off of my sweaty back..