Anybody buyback their own TDI?

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Auto - Sold, 2006 Jetta DSG - Sold, 2009 JSW DSG SOLD, 2013 Passat SE DSG
I was speaking with the dealership manager, where I purchased my 2013 Passat TDI, to make certain that I was on their schedule in November for my turn-in date. During the conversation I was lamenting the return of this car since I only have 38K miles on it and it looks like new. He then asked me if I had any interest in buying back the car after turn-in. Stating that I had not really thought of that but, yes, I would have interest in that possibility! He told me that he would need to contact VW after taking possession of the car and they would want to know if the dealer wanted it picked-up or if they would be interested in buying it for resale themselves. At that point he would be able to quote me a price.
In as much as I will be receiving $28K from VW, if I could buyback the car for, say, $13K OTD, why not? Since I have not read of anyone having done this I assumed it was not permitted. Sort of like, it violates the spirit of the buyback agreement?
Any comments?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you can arrange it it is okay to do. The selling price will be the stickler. My daughter just bought a 2015 Passat TDI SEL buyback for $15k +/-. So it might be possible to do.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
That’s effing amazing if you can pull it off! Let us know how it turns out!

joshhol

TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT no sunroof, 1976 MBZ 300D & 1963 MBZ 220S; sold 2013 JSW TDI 6MT
It doesn't violate the spirit of anything. They're just going to put it up for sale (assuming it's in good condition) anyway. Do it.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
The service manager at my local dealer told me the dealer where the buy back takes place has first dibs on buying the car for resale. I talked to the sales manager to see if I could buy my car back and he didn't know anything about the process but would look into it. Obviously he isn't the person that buys cars for resale, they have over 20 TDIs on the lot, said they sold 5 in September. I will give him a call tomorrow and see what he found out.

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Auto - Sold, 2006 Jetta DSG - Sold, 2009 JSW DSG SOLD, 2013 Passat SE DSG
Thanks for all of the responses. I’m feeling pretty good about this.

I test drove the 2019 Jetta and was not impressed. It gets great MPG but not very satisfying. However, then again, there is nothing like the TDI / DSG combo.

I wonder how the title change and registration process would go. Also, I have the factory extended warranty in place until August 2020.

Last edited:

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
I wonder how the title change and registration process would go. Also, I have the factory extended warranty in place until August 2020.

The buying process will be as any other, you are buying a used car from the dealer paying tax and license and receiving a new title.

peq

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S 6M
They'd have to do stage 1 before selling it back to you right?

Would the car then have the 150K miles/10yr warranty?

Would the car be CPO? Would it also have the 2yr bumper to bumper warranty?

When doing stage 2, would you be getting money? I guess not?

If you have custom work done on your car (such as the Helix sound system plug&play) would it make sense to hope that you wouldn't have to undo it and redo it again? I guess not?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
The dealer is 100% correct. They get first dibs at the car at the price that VW offers them, they cannot negotiate this price.

Only real issue will be waiting for the title. VW sends the title after about 60 days to the dealer so you won't be able to register it or have to drive for 2 months with temp tags. This will be state specific.

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Is it that big of a difference compared to just taking the fix money? Seems to be a bit risky if you're not sure what the sales price would be, but it does seem like your buyback offer was too good to turn down.

I wouldn't have had the same option - at 300k my car would have gone straight to the crusher :).

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
Is it that big of a difference compared to just taking the fix money? Seems to be a bit risky if you're not sure what the sales price would be, but it does seem like your buyback offer was too good to turn down.
I am prepared to lose the car if that is the way it goes. However, if it were to go as planned, I would walk away with the car and greater than twice the fix $$$. I obviously want to keep the car but it is 6 years old and, while low mileage, age takes a toll on all of the items not covered in the 10 year warranty. In fact, right now I have the P2026 (DEF heater failure) code. I know that VW now covers that item but it's just the beginning. My idea is that the $16,000 return to me will cover most all potential repairs to the end-of-life of the car. I normally do not keep any vehicle beyond 6-7 years. However, I enjoy this car so much that I would keep it to the bitter end or whenever the $16K was burned-up.

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
They'd have to do stage 1 before selling it back to you right?
Would the car then have the 150K miles/10yr warranty?
Would the car be CPO? Would it also have the 2yr bumper to bumper warranty?
When doing stage 2, would you be getting money? I guess not?
If you have custom work done on your car (such as the Helix sound system plug&play) would it make sense to hope that you wouldn't have to undo it and redo it again? I guess not?
All good questions to which I have no answers. I will, however, make note and have them should this go as planned. Thanks!

AGreen

TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 5 speed; 2015 Passat TDI, DSG
Very interested if you are successful in this - please keep us updated.

I posted a similar question to this forum recently as I would also be interested in buying back my car at a fair street price. “Tracking a buyback car possible.”
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=491562
In short, I called several local dealers - they were not interested or stated that the pricing from VW to the dealers was uncompetitive. Interestingly, some dealers were buying TDI cars for resale. :confused:
Mostly I was interested in keeping a known vehicle and avoiding car shopping.

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
Mostly I was interested in keeping a known vehicle and avoiding car shopping.
Exactly! I would never purchase a used TDI. I have TDI friends that ask why I don't just buy "some other" TDI to replace mine. It's a simple response, I know I took care of mine.

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
Well...... I turned in the car this past Monday and received the payment Wednesday. I learned today (Friday) that, given all of the steps that VW has the dealer go through with these returned cars, I will probably never see that car again. The dealer did attempt to work with me but VW corporate has their process and that car is getting shipped.

I'm having a difficult time swallowing the fact that my long term diesel relationship has come to an end. I'll wait until next Spring to decide on a replacement. So far nothing out there interests me.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Honestly, im not so sure what the problem is. MOST people who bought these cars took good care of them and they would NOT resell ones and certify them if they hadnt. I just bought a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen DSG sunroof navigation that has 4091 miles on it. It was first sold in 2015 so I have almost an extra year on top of most 2014's . I paid 16,900. It is certified so 2 years unlimited miles plus the emissions warranty from VW should keep me good until 2025.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
I know of many dealers that refuse to deal with the so called dieselgate cars and they ship every one the get back. And I know a bunch of great dealers that buy every one they can get and they cant keep them in stock

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
MOST people who bought these cars took good care of them
"MOST" being the operative word there. There was a period where a lot of people purchased these cars having no understanding (or caring about) the care and feeding of diesel cars. However, I never buy used cars with the exception of Corvettes. I have purchased 7 of them with only one new. I know them inside and out.

I only wish you the best of luck with your 2014. With only 4K on the clock it is likely to be a fine vehicle. Nobody before you had it long enough to screw it up.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
I will see if I can buy my own TDI following my buyback appointment next week. Dealer is willing to work with me.

If not, no big deal, there are low mileage TDI's out there for the taking.

When Dieselgate broke, my Jetta had about 4,800 miles. It now has 48,000 miles. I've driven this car over 40,000 miles for "free" since then. The decision to continue driving my TDI was a easy one. I was willing to maintain and repair a TDI when I purchased it new, and Dieselgate did nothing to change that.

I my opinion, many of those jumping ship at the earliest opportunity of a buyback left big chunk of change on the table by doing so. Why wouldn't one continue driving a depreciation-proof car for as long a possible?

Anyway, I'll report back how my attempt to repurchase my cash-generating Jetta goes.

diecom

TDI
2013 Passat SE
I am prepared to lose the car if that is the way it goes. However, if it were to go as planned, I would walk away with the car and greater than twice the fix $$$. I obviously want to keep the car but it is 6 years old and, while low mileage, age takes a toll on all of the items not covered in the 10 year warranty. In fact, right now I have the P2026 (DEF heater failure) code. I know that VW now covers that item but it's just the beginning. My idea is that the $16,000 return to me will cover most all potential repairs to the end-of-life of the car. I normally do not keep any vehicle beyond 6-7 years. However, I enjoy this car so much that I would keep it to the bitter end or whenever the $16K was burned-up.
In the same spot also. Bad DEF heater came on in early Spring 2018. I was holding out on what to do earlier because DEF freezes at -11F and that's rare in Michigan. Started following mine around the one family dealer with multiple brands in my area. Was on the lot in October 2015 just after the news broke with $16k plus and 99k on the clock. Was drug rep car and perfect CarFax service record. Passenger and back looked like nobody ever sat in it. Became mine for 9k and change in January 2016 at what I felt was the bottom as the scandal unfolded. Daughter ran 46k miles on it and after much thought and return value, decided to give it back. Likely have a 15 SEL for me and a SE for daughter this week with low 20's on miles when I finalize the return of mine. Mine will cost out of pocket less than 2k and offer 11 years or 160k miles of engine and emissions cost free life. No brainier when the DEF tank is $500 part cost plus install.

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
No brainier when the DEF tank is $500 part cost plus install.
I believe that the heater is covered by a silent, or not so silent, extended warranty since there were so many failures and it is, obviously, associated with the emissions. Maybe it depends on mileage.

AGreen

TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 5 speed; 2015 Passat TDI, DSG
We’re on our second DEF heater. First one was a fight to get covered. It is emissions equipment. They issued a letter about covering repairs subsequently, so we had it fixed again even though we intend to sell the car back in a few weeks. If possible we would also like to repurchase our car, though that seems unlikely after speaking with the nearby dealerships. Will ask again just before we turn it in...if we don’t find a different replacement car sooner.

Last edited:

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
2014 TDI Jetta Value Edition, purchased new for $19,850 + approx. $1,900 tags, title and tax.

Subtract $1,000 Goodwill money, $2,400 hail damage check (white car, average person doesn't even notice the dents) and $24,016 buyback and I'm ahead $5,666 after driving the car 4 years.

Give dealer $9,700 + $775 tags, title and tax to buy it back from VW and my net cost for owning this car from day 1 becomes $4,809 (excluding fuel, ins., maint., etc. that would have been a cost of ownership for any other car).

I assume I'll be getting a check from Bosch, which will bring my OTD "purchase price" closer to $4,500. Now that's what you call a Jetta TDI Value Edition!:D

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Start Googling the VIN of the car you turn in and see if you can find it listed at another dealership. It could be a thousand miles away. I found my wife's 15 Passat turned over in SC being sold in OH. Never found my old 12 Passat, but I traded that in 4 months before the news broke.

Just an idea.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
Start Googling the VIN of the car you turn in and see if you can find it listed at another dealership. It could be a thousand miles away. I found my wife's 15 Passat turned over in SC being sold in OH. Never found my old 12 Passat, but I traded that in 4 months before the news broke.

Just an idea.

I found mine for sale with google - it wasn't far away. If I had wanted to, I could have bought it back at roughly half what I sold it back to VW. I am content with what I have now, and didn't really pursue it.

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Tdi SEL premium
That’s too bad. I would have like to buy mines back also.
2012 Passat SEL 60k miles. Gonna miss it. Been a great car.
Turn it in next month. Was scheduled this month, but changed to next month.... for hopefully another $600!

NateDogg

TDI
2012 Audi Q7 TDI
I my opinion, many of those jumping ship at the earliest opportunity of a buyback left big chunk of change on the table by doing so. Why wouldn't one continue driving a depreciation-proof car for as long a possible?
When I first seen my estimated buyback $$$ I was ready to turn mine in ASAP. After a week of thinking and seeing how much time I had to turn it in I thought I'll just keep driving it as long as possible. I average about 70 miles a week as I live 5 miles from my job. I planned my buy back for 6-1-19 I will have driven about 2,500 more miles between now and then so I hope not to add much more to the polluting of the air. I should have less than 90,000 miles by then.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)

I completely agree. I just turned mine in a couple of weeks ago. 5½ years of ownership, 95k miles, zero depreciation. Actually, when you count the $1,000 debit cards and the Bosch settlement, I made money driving the car for 5½ years and 95k miles.