McMaster-Carr Oil Separator for CCV - GeWilli?

Bookerdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI - BLACK
Back in July GeWilli mentioned the Oil Separators available from McMaster and Carr as a possible filter solution for the CCV.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>I might have found the PERFECT bolt on setup! (to filter the CCV) McMaster Carr (how many times have I looked through it? not to see this?) Cheap too. search McMaster-Carr's web page with this part number: 5757K61 There are a few options. I think we should be able to go with the 19.8 CFM filter w/o problem<hr></blockquote>

So I'm curious if anyone has tried this route, 'cause I'm really not all that excited about the elephant hose option, freeze ups, smelly, polluter. I've looked at a homemade solution, and might try it, but really for the price, this thing looks pretty good. Activated carbon to filter down to .003 ppm, that sounds great.

Only thing is, these things are designed for high pressure air systems, and with the relatively low PSI that's coming out of the valve cover, will it 'cause too much backpressure to form in the line? i.e. too much pressure drop through the filter. I'm planning on using the stock separator disk with the check valve in it, but just want to be sure that with the third hose on my A3, the pressure restriction of this filter doesn't direct the gasses into my sump rather than the filter.

I think I'm going to go with the 1/2" NPT version of the filter 5757K63 which has an overkill max 46.1 CFM but makes it easier to run 3/4" hose to a barb fitting with NPT on the other side, reducing restrictions caused by reducing couplings.

The Oil Separator has a draincock on it, and available replaceable filters, and the size (8.1" H X 3" W ) will make it very easy to find a mounting spot. I figure with hoses and connections, I can do a very nice, very clean filtration setup for about $80. So, while GeWilli saw it first, anybody tried using one of these separators?

Fred M.

It is NOT what you want. The part that you referenced is for compressed air lines (such as used for painting) where there is a very limited amount of oil present that is residual from a piston-based air compressor. The charcoal is intended to absorb the oil rather than the device being designed to let you reclaim the oil. While it might work, it would probably only do so for a few days. Sorry.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Yeah - later in that thread I think we ruled it out . . .sorry

The new smaller Racor unit should work, or make one per one of the designs outlined in the special projects thread. . . .

patrickreyn

you know there is part screener that fits on a hose that is used to reroute the oil mist breather hose from the air cleaner to the under the motorcycle its for harleys and its in custom chrome catalog. Ive used in on my harleys cause we didnt like the oil mist screwing up our air cleaner media so we rerouted it under the engine I wonder if that would work