Project Kill Da Auto Wabbit!, Or how I learned to love the Manual Swap

chevyboy91188

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
so woke up a little early today and hooked up the vagcom, i pulled the switch off the pedal and switched it with my hand and I get all readings but not with it on, i guess i need to adjust its depth so it switches at the right spot...then i will be able to see if it will actually work.

updates to follow...I'm going to take it for a quick run as soon as I get home using some washers stuck to the pedal as a spacer and see if the problem is resolved finally

chevyboy91188

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Shimmed the cruise control switch on the pedal, now it works I guess somehow the switch is not long enough to fully depress with the pedal up, I am going to permanently stick something to switch to make up the difference

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
I had the same problem. The new style clutch switch solved the problem. While waiting I just took the clutch switch off the pedal and cruise worked.

Only side effect was a rev flare when shifting. Once the switch was replaced it worked perfect.

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
Also Chevyboy, there is a trick to resetting the depth of the switch. Mine was broken and if you didn't do it right yours might be broken too. I'd find and link the how to but I'm posting from my phone. The new style switch you just push the pedal with one hand, twist the new switch into the holder, release the pedal and it adjusts itself. It is good to go from there.

chevyboy91188

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
After reading that post i had the nerve to give a good pull on the cruise switch and it clicked out as promised and now works perfectly Thanks for that information

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Glad to see it's working! if you are out in TX you should drop by and say hi.

Let us know what your mileage increases to.

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad to hear that worked out without spending any more money!

I don't know if I've ever shared mine, but i'd say it was a significant difference:

Auto:

5Sp:

The funny part is the 'now 5Sp' car is trending upwards of 47 MPG as of late. It's been a little over a year since the swap and i'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Last edited:

jettalife

TDI
2002 jetta 2.0 gls
this is a very interesting thread ive been reading for a while . I am looking forward to do a swap on my 2002 2.0 gls auto trans, this is a gas engine.
So i found a 5 speed from a 2003 1.8 turbo transmission , i was wondering if there was somewhere where i can check if it will fit my 2.0 engine.
thanks guys in advance.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
this is a very interesting thread ive been reading for a while . I am looking forward to do a swap on my 2002 2.0 gls auto trans, this is a gas engine.
So i found a 5 speed from a 2003 1.8 turbo transmission , i was wondering if there was somewhere where i can check if it will fit my 2.0 engine.
thanks guys in advance.
Check out this thread on the vortex for the 01M to 5 speed swap gas version. Perhaps your answer is there.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4897603-01M-to-02J-transmission-swap-on-my-2001-Jetta-2-0-(AZG)-silver

jettalife

TDI
2002 jetta 2.0 gls
code AZF

Thank you for your response , i actually already read thru every post and can not find any answers it only says about one specific code which is engine code AZF, but im wondering if there are any other codes to look for.

downriggeral

TDI
2003 Jetta, 2006 Ram2500 Cummins 5.9
WOW what a guy boertje is! I did the swap on my 03 Jetta, had questions that he answered and then I went to his shop today for help with the ECU wiring, and computer re-program. He got me all fixed up including the "hammer tune" on the pump.

Thanks so much for all you did to help me.

Alan

Journeyman

TDI
96 passat tdi, 01 jetta tdi
leftover mystery part

I have been a member here for a long time but seldom post myself. I have wanted an mk4 for a long time but could not find one in my price range. Finaly found a near perfect body jetta with slipping trans CHEAP. This writeup enabled me to advance from my aging B4 to an MKIV. Thanks Alphasenior!!! And others who contributed. This has to be the longest thread on this club but it was worth the read.
It took me 2 months for the swap but everything works except cruise. I have the wire routed into engine area but have not hooked up to ECU yet.(Wifes car and she seldome would use it). I have one part I can't remember where It cam from. Can anyone help I.D. It for me? I think it is exhaust related but it wont fit anywhere???

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
That is the inner CV heat shield passenger side that shields it from the turbo heat It bolts to the block close to the oil pan.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
WOW what a guy boertje is! I did the swap on my 03 Jetta, had questions that he answered and then I went to his shop today for help with the ECU wiring, and computer re-program. He got me all fixed up including the "hammer tune" on the pump.

Thanks so much for all you did to help me.

Alan
Yup, it was an enjoyable afternoon.
With the ECU coded for automatic, his IQ was right at 4. After recode to manual, his IQ dropped to 1.8 and developed the slow down shutter. We set it at 3 and all was good. That engine ran like a clock with 240k miles.

jettalife

TDI
2002 jetta 2.0 gls
Ok guys so im back once again , i did the auto to 5 speed swap everything running very smooth i love this car.
The only issue i have is that i replace the ecu to a manual i had a tunner put the immo from the auto ecu in to the manual ecu instead of doing a immo defeat so it was a plug-n-play, but im having problems getting rid of the FAULT CODES i delete them but they come back again so im wondering if the tunner instead of just switching the immo also switch all the auto ecu software on the manual ecu.
Everytime i clear the codes about 10 out of 20 codes all transmission related codes do not clear, im using vcds lite and i also have a actron autoscanner plus. yesterday i notice the light when of when i clear with vcds lite but as soon as i start the car the codes came back.
thanks in advance .

jettalife

TDI
2002 jetta 2.0 gls
i have never remove or unplug TCM, do i need to unplug it to clear codes?
im sorry im kind of new to vcds lite where can i check if the ECU is manual?

alphaseinor

TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
There is no transmission, therefore you do not need a transmission computer

alphaseinor

TDI
The module runs the automatic transmission, since you got rid of your automatic and swapped it with a manual, there is no computer needed for the manual transmission. That's why it's giving you fault codes. The tcm is wondering what happened to it's transmission.

jettalife

TDI
2002 jetta 2.0 gls
Thank you very much guys for your reply, i will try this as soon as i get home.
I really need to get the check engine light of my inspection is due 2 months ago.

alphaseinor

TDI
are you in NC?