tdi cold start problem

edwatts

TDI
beetle,1999,silver
VW dealer performed timing belt change + several maintenance items,water pump,glow plugs,coolant sensor,belts etc,, now the car will not start when cold (temp 50-60 f.). Pulling harness to coolant sensor gets car to start. Starts well when warm, runs well when warm,but seems to not be as smooth as before,and there is a slight shudder when vehicle slows for stop light/sign.

Performed diagnostics on new glow plugs,coolant sensor, all within spec's, but at these temps it shouldn't matter.

I am taking vehicle to a local Mercedes Repair shop I trust and my laymans opionion is the injection pump timing is too retarded, any other suggestions I can advise tech?

Taking back to dealer is out of the question, they kept vehicle for 34 days, 1st tech got sick in middle of repair, 2nd tech lost parts and interest, 3rd tech just threw vehicle together to get me out of dealers hair.

update 10/19/05 - Local Mercedes shop confirmed timing was problem, recommended I take to VW dealer & contact VW customer care in hopes of getting repair covered by first dealer.

2nd VW dealer diagnosed as improper pump timing & repaired for $294.91 stating on repair order faulty workmanship from 1st VW dealer. I had also contacted VW customer care and they could care less. So I am on my own in my attempt to get reinbursed from the first dealer.

Kevinski

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI, GLS
I agree, check the timing. Very common problem with the belt change. Especially from the description of that dealer.

I would still be concerned about the mercedes shop. Do they have vag-com or similiar to check you timing? This is an absolute must. Might not be a bad idea to check the tdi faq, and get a copy of the tdi timing belt change. It is a pdf file and very helpful. Bring it with you to the mercedes shop or at least bone up on it so you can talk the talk with the shop. At least give them the pages on checking the timing.

Do you have any more smoke than normal? Is it louder than normal? Lack of performance? What year vehicle?

1badturbo

TDI
00 JETTA GLITDI
I agree with Kevinski. If they do not have a vag-com or something to read timing and fuel temps. It will not be correct.. I have seen this alot where other folks THINK they can set it but really not.... Not like the old 1.6's anymore. Good luck!