Digital Tuning Box for 2012 Passat?

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I'm a novice TDI user and just now getting into making modifications and I'm intersted in installing a digital tuning box on my 2012 Passat TDI (for the SOLE purpose of increasing fuel economy on cross-country drives).

To be clear, I'm NOT in search on that that increases rail pressure (due to high rate of rail failures already). So to all you TDI gurus out there, which model(s) do you suggest I take a look at?

Last edited:

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Just keep your foot out of it. Diesels are fuel throttled engines (unlike air throttled gasoline engines), the new Common Rail Engines run ultra-lean as it is during steady state highway driving, you control all fuel entering the combustion chamber with the pedal, the biggest impact on fuel economy is how you drive it. Get a Scangauge II and you can easily see this by monitoring fuel flow.

For example, I have a Revo tune (http://www.revotechnik.com) for my car, it's good for an additional 45HP and 53 ft/lbs of torque and the fuel economy shows it when I request power (i.e. by putting the pedal all the way down), however if I drive normally, for instance on cruise control at highway speeds, the tune has zero impact on my fuel economy over the stock ECU tune.

Search the site here, there are several lengthy threads on the topic, search for "hypermiling".

Last edited: