Flashing Glow Plug/ Check Engine Lights

shiggs101

TDI
None yet
2009 Jetta TDI 6 speed wagon with 55,000 miles. Car seems to be running fine. OBD scan P0101 and P0102 both related to low voltage at mass air flow (MAF) Scanner clears check engine light until restart, but not glow plug light. Also, MFD says something about an "engine fault workshop". Nearest dealer is about 80 miles away. Any thought on what the issue is? Can I drive this to the dealer, or should I have it flat bedded? Also, best VW dealer in Norfolk/Virginia Beach or indy on the Outer Banks, NC? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Literally hundreds of things it could be unfortunately... and the car is trying to help: you really need a VCDS scan at this point 'cause OBD2 is only telling part of the story. Perhaps someone in your area has VCDS?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

shiggs101

TDI
None yet
That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.
OBD Scan Report:

Year: 2009
Make: VW
Model: Jetta
Code: P0101
Type: Powertrain
Definition: Mass or Volume Air Flow 'A' Circuit Range/Prformance

shiggs101

TDI
None yet
Update: thought it would be a good idea to check some fuses before a long trip to the dealer. Sure enough, fuse #1 a 10 amp on the box on the left side of the dashboard was blown. I replaced it and the glow plug light immediately stopped flashing. I was able to clear the stored P0101 code and MIL light with my generic code scanner. The owners manual identifies that fuse for the instrument panel and nothing else, go figure. Not sure why it blew so I'll have to keep an eye on it. Thanks helping out.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Update: thought it would be a good idea to check some fuses before a long trip to the dealer. Sure enough, fuse #1 a 10 amp on the box on the left side of the dashboard was blown. I replaced it and the glow plug light immediately stopped flashing. I was able to clear the stored P0101 code and MIL light with my generic code scanner. The owners manual identifies that fuse for the instrument panel and nothing else, go figure. Not sure why it blew so I'll have to keep an eye on it. Thanks helping out.
Exactly what the second possible cause says in the link above for those fault codes.;) Great it's fixed.

FUSE (and) make bad contact or are faulty

Black06TDI

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I drove through a bad rain storm yesterday. Today I had the same issue that was described. Dealer showed me the scan and couldn't reset it. Scheduled an appointment for 2 weeks from now. I checked the fuse mentioned and it blew immediately, so I must have some water issues. Drats. Is your VW still running okay?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
can anyone recommend some good VCDS scanners? I found quite a few on Amazon and Ebay but then found some warnings scanners not being fully featured
The ONLY good VCDS is the real thing. All other products that call themselves VCDS or VAG-COM are either very old versions or illegally cracked versions of this: http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS.html

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Since you drive a '96 VW, you could also get away (for almost everything) with a good generic ODBII to USB cable and the shareware version here: http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/index.html
This version will not work with 2005.5 and newer VWs