DIY Oil Change -- What size Allen Wrench for the Oil Drain Plug?

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
I'm about to change my oil myself for the first time. I've read that the drain plug uses an Allen Wrench. This doesn't surprise me because old air-cooled VW's used a 17mm Allen Wrench to drain the transmission/differential oil.

I went ahead and bought a 17mm Allen Wrench at Sears. 17mm is the largest they carried, btw. But I think I read once where the oil drain plug is 19mm. So which is correct? And if it is 19mm, where can I buy a 19mm Allen Wrench? TIA

daveyracing69

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 2002 Silver
Good question, I would like to know also. My first will be coming up, right after I fix this N146 code problem.
To buy, you need to find a snap on truck, mac, or Grainger. Grainger is a mail order from jersey, go online as soon as you get the right size. I bought a 21 mm allen for my 82 jetta diesel, to R&R pumpkin fluid. I got it from grainger something like $19. Steep but need the tool.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I have a 2000 golf A4 and it dosn't have an allen bolt. I use a 3/4 in. socket. Yeah, its all stripped out but I use amsoil so I only have to do it every 10,000 mi. I guess its like a 19 mm socket but don't take my word for it.

Just Some Guy

Veteran Member
For someone who gets as mouthy as you do about dealers, you sure don't know d*ck about cars...especially your own. Anyways....

You don't need an Allen at all for an OIL CHANGE.

The oil drain plug is a 19mm hex head plug, not an Allen at all.

I repeat...you DO NOT need an Allen for an oil change.

If you pull an Allen plug while you're under there, you're screwing up.

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by Just Some Guy:
For someone who gets as mouthy as you do about dealers, you sure don't know d*ck about cars...especially your own.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You can kiss my rosey white ass! I don't need some smart ass comment from a prick like you! And I don't mouth DEALERS! I happen to have a very good relationship with my DEALER. I only picked on YOU because you work on VW's yet you hate them so much and always talk down about them.
And I'm asking this question because I haven't bothered crawling unnder my car yet.

Now will someone kindly explain the difference between an Allen plug and a "hex head plug"?

{edit} wait, lemmie guess...it just requires a 19mm socket. Around here "Allen" and "hex head" are the same thing.

[ July 31, 2002, 17:47: Message edited by: ProjektZwoTDI ]

daveyracing69

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 2002 Silver
I have not yet lifted the car in the front. How many torx about? Is it easy to re-install, snaps right back, or do you have to wiggle the **** out of it to line up again.

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by Colonel Klink:
OK, JSG beat me to the punch, but don't forget the Torx-20 for the PITA lower cover...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't have a belly pan thanks to the previous owner.

schnabba

Veteran Member
TDI
golf GLS 2001 white
Now will someone kindly explain the difference between an Allen plug and a "hex head plug"?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">spelling. They mean the same thing. Technically, I suppose it should be a hex head cap screw or socket screw or something like that.... I have never heard a plug called an allen plug, only heard of an allen wrench. whatever.

Anyway, you need a 17mm allen wrench for the transmission (manual). I think the automatic uses this too, but I don't have one so I can't confirm. Both the fill plug and the drain plug use the 17mm size, so if you are checking the fluid, or changing the fluid in the transmission - then you will need the hex key / allen wrench.

For the oil pan - it's a normal drain plug - like a bolt. Uses something like 19mm just as they said.

And a torque wrench if you're anal about not stripping the threads in the aluminum oil pan.

Just Some Guy

Veteran Member
Kids...

Imagine an Allen wrench. Notice how it goes INSIDE the object that it is to turn?

Imagine a socket. Notice how it goes OUTSIDE the object it is to turn?

Imagine trying to use an Allen wrench on a regular old hex-head bolt. When you're finished with imagining that, you will come to the conclusion that:

They are not the same
They are not the same, and the difference is more than spelling

They may both have six sides, but are completely different and are therefore not referred to by the same terminology. Hex-head means a head with 6 external surfaces. Allen means a head with 6 internal surfaces.

[ July 31, 2002, 18:01: Message edited by: Just Some Guy ]

Colonel Klink

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
daveyracing: The belly pan is easy to put back on. I think it's about 10 screws, total. I say it's a PITA because that's 10 screws in and out I've never had to EF with on any other vehicle; and it's annoying when you just want to check on things underneath. Oh, it's annoying also when you put the thing back on, then work on the top of the engine and drop a fastener, then it has to come off again to retrieve said fastener. Not that I've ever done that...

daveyracing69

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 2002 Silver
Allen keys go into the bolt like a well.
You want a 19mm socket or better yet, a open end 19 mm wrench, fool proof.

A fyi, my old 2000 dodge dually with the cumming had a 1/2 oil drain plug. You needed a 1/2 impact wrench due to the torque was like 140lb something. no sockets just the end of the gun went right in.

Lightman

Veteran Member
Guys this is nuts. On my 02 tdi jetta, dunno if yours is the same but I assume it is, the oil drain plug is easily removed with a 19mm or 3/4 socket. Regular rachet/socket, nothing tricky about this at all. The bottom engine cover is held up by maybe 6 or 8 screws that take a T-25 torx driver, not T-20.

T-20 is the size to do the ventectomy though =]

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by Lightman:
...the oil drain plug is easily removed with a 19mm or 3/4 socket. Regular rachet/socket, nothing tricky about this at all.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Too bad JSG couldn't have just said this without adding his extra 2 cents.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression the oil drain plug was like the transmission plug requiring an Allen wrench. At least I now have a 17mm Allen wrench to check the fluid level in the transmission.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Freakin A

ProjektZwoTDI F$&$Kin chill man

as for lower cover - don't use a T-20 its a T-25 (you won't strip em out that way).

Allen head vs Hex head - brain dead difference to mechanics - semanitcs to others and confusion to newbies.

Nothin wrong with confusion. BUT if you are confused DO NOT ATTEMPT TO WORK ON YOUR CAR ALONE.

Once all the confusion is gone then attempt the job.

back to teh allen v hex.

Allen is a Male wrench and a female bolt (male parts go into female parts)

Hex is a female wrench and a male bolt. Socket or Combo Wrench those are female type devices. Allen Key is a Male device.

As for the Size. 19mm.

If you don't have one get a good set of 1/4" drive METRIC sockets, and one good set of 1/2" drive sockets.

The 3/8" don't make some sizes small enough or big enough and the 1/4+1/2 are ideal for the car. Get a bit driver for the 1/4 with a range of torx (specifically T-20 and T-25) and you are all set to do nearly all the work on the car.

Get a bentley manual too if you don't have one.

I'll re-emphasize - if you remove an allen head plug from the bottom of the engine changing the oil YOU HAVE MESSED UP! BIG TIME. some folks already have reported doing that here in the forum. Wondering why the oil level was still full and why the tranny was making weird noises.

I'm sure JSG has seen a few idiot customers come in (not just TDIs or maybe no TDIs like this) where the customer did this and messed something up . . .

Watch out . . .

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by GeWilli:
Freakin A

ProjektZwoTDI F$&$Kin chill man
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I ask a simple question and Mr. "Holier than thou" JSG opens his smart mouth and pops off to me for no reason and you want ME to chillout?! Whatever.

Anyway, I'n not some kid and I'm not an idiot. The only reason I even asked this question is because I haven't bothered crawling under the car yet to see what I needed. And was under the impression from previous threads that I needed an Allen wrench to remove the oil drain plug.

As far as tools, I have a Metwrench tool set. Fit's both SAE and Metric because it grabs the side of the bolts, not the points. Same as the combination wrenches. And yes I have a 19mm. In fact, my set goes up to 22mm.

And I do have a Bentley and read all I could about this subject. But of course the Bentley doesn't have all the info needed. All it says is "remove the oil drain plug". Doesn't say with what tool or what size.

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
ProjectZwoTDI....

I just changed my oil this weekend. Best way I found is to put it up on ramps, then like everyone said pull the belly pan (if you have one and I recall you don't, perfect time to put on the steel skid plate).

Anyway, the drain bolt is on the back side of the pan and it is a 19MM hex ( a good 6 point socket is what I use)

I found the oil drains a lot faster if you open the cover to the oil filter and the oil fill cap on the motor before taking out the oil pan drain bolt.

Can't remember the size of the wrench you need for the oil filter cover, but 76MM 14 point comes to mind.... and be sure to change the big and small "O" rings when you put in the new filter.

Hope this helps

Groundhog1248

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue 2015 Golf TDI 6 Speed SEL
Do not use a 3/4" socket like a few suggested in this thread. Use the 19mm. 3/4 and a 19mm are not the same. Yes they could be close in size but you'll strip the bolt eventually like runonbeer did. I learned the hard way to use the correct tools for the job or you will run into problems sooner or later.

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
19mm socket for the oil plug. 9 torx screws for '00 & 10 for '01--don't know why. It's a piece of cake to remove/replace--maybe 1.5 minutes for each. If it takes 3+ minutes, I suggest taking it in for the oil change from now on

Jim

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
3/4" = .750"
19 mm = .748"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">and this shows the difference between the right and wrong tools. This is not a big diff but enough to make THE difference! Use the 19 mm!

Jim

jmur

Veteran Member
Didn't think .002" would make much difference. Just for ha ha's went through a bunch of 3/4" and 19 mm wrenches with my calipers. Seems like SAE (inch) wrenches measure about .008" oversize while metric (mm) wrenches measure .004" oversize. Wonder if this is generally true, closer tolerance on metric stuff? 3/4 wrench measures .758 and 19 mm measuers .752. That's a .006" or .15 mm difference and probably does make a diffence. Anyway, good idea to use the right tools.

Just Some Guy

Veteran Member
Originally posted by jmur:
Didn't think .002" would make much difference. Just for ha ha's went through a bunch of 3/4" and 19 mm wrenches with my calipers. Seems like SAE (inch) wrenches measure about .008" oversize while metric (mm) wrenches measure .004" oversize. Wonder if this is generally true, closer tolerance on metric stuff? 3/4 wrench measures .758 and 19 mm measuers .752. That's a .006" or .15 mm difference and probably does make a diffence. Anyway, good idea to use the right tools.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What brand of wrenches, though. THAT makes a difference, too.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Ted,

just what I want - some cobbled goofy set of tools that works poorly with both SAE and Metric.

Having the right tools makes all the difference.

And having QUALITY tools makes even more difference! No substitute.

LMAO @ lito

Ted_Grozier

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GL 4-dr
You mean I'm just lucky to have gotten by through all these years with an adjustable cresent and a Sears Gatorgrip socket?

Amazing all this fuss for the drain plug. Really it doesn't matter what you use on it because the torque spec is so low for a 19.

BTW on tools when we did the struts on the Golf I had the official splitter tool and it did help quite a bit but you have to really seat it before twisting.

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by tongsli:
ProjektZwoTDI,

Did you do a search before you posted?

Seach on Oil Change

Also, do you have a Bentley's manual?

L
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I looked in the FAQ and didn't find what I was looking for. And I already posted saying that I do have a Bentley and it tells nothing of what tool to use to remove the oil drain plug or what size.