MPG impressions on 2015 Golf so far

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
As an FYI, I notice more REGEN's on our Passat during cold weather. Of course, without being able to track the actual number of REGEN's it is purely a "seat of the pants" assessment.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG/ 2015 Golf S Three Pedal
As an FYI, I notice more REGEN's on our Passat during cold weather. Of course, without being able to track the actual number of REGEN's it is purely a "seat of the pants" assessment.
I had a regen yesterday morning and again tonight about 75 miles apart.

And to Andy's point on the cold... The high on my inbound 25 mile ride in in hot weather was 76 (indicated) and today in freekin -9 degrees f (holy crap!) 49 MPGs. I have an advantage in he cold too because my Garage is warm so the car is 45-50 rather than freekin -9 to start.

cmschmie

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE 6MT
I filled my car up for the second time this morning. I averaged 39.9 MPG over 440 miles (80% highway). At first I was disappointed, but think it's pretty good considering the engine is still a couple hundred miles from being broken in, it was pretty cold here this week, and I drive at 75 mph when on the interstate.

I did not record the mileage on the first tank but if memory serves me correct, it was in the ballpark.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
And to Andy's point on the cold... The high on my inbound 25 mile ride in in hot weather was 76 (indicated) and today in freekin -9 degrees f (holy crap!) 49 MPGs. I have an advantage in he cold too because my Garage is warm so the car is 45-50 rather than freekin -9 to start.
Interesting, and quite a difference. I'm sure the garage bit does help. I don't have that luxury, so I had to start my car in -5 yesterday morning. I know we have members from crazy places in Canada, arguing over how cold the MFD can display, but I was still pretty impressed that the car started so easily. Though it did have a little more of that diesel rattle than normal ;).

The cold weather is pretty depressing when I was getting used to 50 mpg commutes, but at least I can now spend the whole ride trying to reconcile the thermodynamics of cold-weather fuel economy....

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI

Very interesting that you had two regen's so close together, was the first possibly not completed?

My best 22 mile AM commute in the summer is 81(indicated) 75*, worst has been around 53 (indicated) at -6*.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG/ 2015 Golf S Three Pedal
Very interesting that you had two regen's so close together, was the first possibly not completed?

My best 22 mile AM commute in the summer is 81(indicated) 75*, worst has been around 53 (indicated) at -6*.
It could have been. I don't have any way to know. I have just been guessing that if the idle and fan are elevated when I park I should wait to shut down.

Got a Scanguage for Christmas and got it set up yesterday so will have a better idea when regens are occurring.

WildChild

TDI
2015 Golf Comfortline TDI 6MT
Can't wait for next summer with all the numbers I see here. My last fill-up gave me 31.7MPG, though we got real cold weather here in the last few days (< -13F).

cmschmie

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE 6MT
My last two fill-ups were 44.5 mpg (477 miles) and 43 mpg (456 miles).
I think this may be my average until it warms up and we get non-winter diesel. At least I think we get winter diesel here in NC.

Southalabama84

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S
I took this when I pulled into the station this afternoon. Calculated mileage according fuelly was 51.8. Typical commute is 86 miles a day of mostly interstate and 4-lane highway.

mtnhouse

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
How long a trip was that, and what type of driving?
My commute is 120miles round trip. In the morning my average speed is 50-65mph. In the afternoon its stop and go traffic :( Before on my civic i usually fill up every other day now with my Golf TDI its every 4 days. Few month ago I drove from Tracy to San Diego CA with one full tank and averaging speed 80-90mph. This is my first diesel and I'm really impressed!

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Looked at and drove one of these things Thursday in Aurora CO (Tynans) that was loaded to hilt, ~$32K+ sticker. 6spd man, panorama roof, NAV, keyless push button start, everything I could think of..... They had 4 more manual Golf TDIs but all but one were loaded expensive models, one was on a off site location base Golf man trans (~$25k of so sticker). Claimed they had 300 more of these on their way, about half are manual trans from the sheet he showed me...........

To my surprise they even had three man trans Passat TDIs for quite a bit cheaper than that show off Golf. And they had bunch of DSG JSW TDIs which I really did not look at........

Asmerrill

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Blue Silk Golf TDI SEL
Looked at and drove one of these things Thursday in Aurora CO (Tynans) that was loaded to hilt, ~$32K+ sticker. 6spd man, panorama roof, NAV, keyless push button start, everything I could think of..... They had 4 more manual Golf TDIs but all but one were loaded expensive models, one was on a off site location base Golf man trans (~$25k of so sticker). Claimed they had 300 more of these on their way, about half are manual trans from the sheet he showed me...........

To my surprise they even had three man trans Passat TDIs for quite a bit cheaper than that show off Golf. And they had bunch of DSG JSW TDIs which I really did not look at........

You can really get a better price than that very easy. I have an SEL DSG, only thing missing is the DAP, and I got it for $30,100.

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
Went and test drove a tsi SE and tdi s model today. Wife liked the TSI (car for her)and went to talk numbers on a lease. They were trying to push almost $400 a month on the lease. Not going to happen . Can go down the street and get an Accord for $250 a month or a loaded Civic even cheaper.

Really do like the Golf and I would trade my 2013 Passat in on one if I could right now.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Just filled up yesterday, by far my worst tank FE-wise. These last 2 weeks have been snowy, effing cold, and through a combination of weather and more-than-usual city driving, I only averaged 24 miles per hour on the tank, where i usually average 34-35 mph. All this, plus winter fuel, means some pretty depressing numbers

Fuelly calculated 34 mpg for the last tank, which is about 9 mpg down from where I was hovering in the fall. I'm really looking forward to the spring, my 10k service, and maybe an alignment, hoping to see the mid to upper 40's return...

cmschmie

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE 6MT
I have 3700 miles on my car and am averaging ~41 mpg so far. Can't wait till Spring to see the numbers rise a bit.
I have the same user name on Fuelly if you're interested in seeing stats

Quick question regarding diesel:
I usually choose between two stations. One has B10 and the other has a note that states "max of 15 ppm sulfur..." but no B grade. Should I ask station #2 what their diesel grade is or just use station #1?
I've looked and have not yet found B5 diesel.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
I have been surprised by the lack of variability in my MPGs. With snow tires, cold weather, and plenty of city driving, I averaged 41.5mpg over the 1st 3500 miles. I just completed a roadtrip to CA from CO, over 3500 miles with detours, unseasonably warm weather and 90% freeway miles... and averaged 43mpg. With so much freeway time in UT, I tried different cruise control speeds (anywhere from 65-85mph), and gearing, and it seems like none of it makes much of a difference. That extra 4% mpg is nice, but my prior vehicles gained 10-20% mpg on freeways.

Groundhog1248

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue 2015 Golf TDI 6 Speed SEL
First fillup after buying the car last Monday. 80% city driving and a temparture average around 15 degrees for the week. I'm pretty happy with 36mpg.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I have been surprised by the lack of variability in my MPGs. With snow tires, cold weather, and plenty of city driving, I averaged 41.5mpg over the 1st 3500 miles. I just completed a roadtrip to CA from CO, over 3500 miles with detours, unseasonably warm weather and 90% freeway miles... and averaged 43mpg. With so much freeway time in UT, I tried different cruise control speeds (anywhere from 65-85mph), and gearing, and it seems like none of it makes much of a difference. That extra 4% mpg is nice, but my prior vehicles gained 10-20% mpg on freeways.
Three words: Give it time!

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
Three words: Give it time!
Give what time? I'm not complaining about 43mpg, especially considering my winter (truck) tires cost me 3-4 mpg after the 2nd tank.

Of course more is better, but I don't quite understand why people gripe about anything less than 35. If I have 1 gripe, it's the lack of torque below 1200rpm, but that's a whole other topic ;)

I do find it odd that I get roughly the same mileage, regardless of driving conditions, but how can I complain?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Give what time? I'm not complaining about 43mpg, especially considering my winter (truck) tires cost me 3-4 mpg after the 2nd tank.

Of course more is better, but I don't quite understand why people gripe about anything less than 35. If I have 1 gripe, it's the lack of torque below 1200rpm, but that's a whole other topic ;)

I do find it odd that I get roughly the same mileage, regardless of driving conditions, but how can I complain?
It sounded like you were upset about your lack of mileage, I was saying give the car time to break in.

I would gripe about 35MPG, of course my worst tank is 44 MPG.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
It sounded like you were upset about your lack of mileage, I was saying give the car time to break in.

I would gripe about 35MPG, of course my worst tank is 44 MPG.
Nah, not upset, but seems like lots of people are. I had a Tundra with the 5.7l prior to this, so it's hard to complain. I'm sure mine will get better as soon as I swap out the winter threads. I went with the knobbiest tires I could find.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Nah, not upset, but seems like lots of people are. I had a Tundra with the 5.7l prior to this, so it's hard to complain. I'm sure mine will get better as soon as I swap out the winter threads. I went with the knobbiest tires I could find.
What winter setup are you using?

Callipygian

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL manual
FWIW, conti extreme winter contact have been very smooth snow tires, I did not notice much of an effect on mpgs. Only tradeoff is the lack of deeper aggressive tread leads to struggles in the deep stuff. They handle ice, hardpack, wet snow and water quite well, and they were cheap @ about $100 each.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
What winter setup are you using?
Just the basic Firestones on 16" wheels. I used the same tires on my prior trucks, and barely needed the 4 wheel drive. These are fine in deep snow, but a nightmare on ice and seem to cost me 10% in MPG.

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
FWIW, conti extreme winter contact have been very smooth snow tires, I did not notice much of an effect on mpgs. Only tradeoff is the lack of deeper aggressive tread leads to struggles in the deep stuff. They handle ice, hardpack, wet snow and water quite well, and they were cheap @ about $100 each.
My neighbor with a GTI had those, but switched to Bridgestones this year, and swears by them. The only downside he mentioned was that the tireshop said they won't last long.

william9

TDI
Looking
I heard the same when I started using blizzaks on my Civic. That was 2006. I run them Nov-March in MA and I have been extremely happy with them. They're very soft and grippy but I've probably put 40k+ on them. I can't see not buying a set when I get the new Sportwagen.