In-Tank Pump and EGR Gas Cooler Failure Rates

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I'm trying to get a feel for the failure rates for both the EGR coolers (internal coolant leakage) and of the in-tank lift (fuel) pumps on the PDs. I assume these failures may be more pronounced on the 2004s. Who here on the forums has had either (or both) of these fail? If so, at what mileage?

I've already had the lift pump go (at 46,000 miles), and infact, there was no warning, and it left me stranded. I'm waiting for the EGR cooler to go next. I have 3,500 miles left on my warranty. I'm debating taking the car in and claiming I'm loosing coolant mysteriously in the hopes of getting the cooler replaced before the warranty expires.

BTW, I had a glow plug fail at 9,000 miles and the headlamp went out today (the headlamp is actually covered by the bumper-to-bumper 50,000 mile warranty, its the other lights that are not). I'm replacing the headlamp myself.

I'm a little supprised at the incidence of warranty failures on the 2004s

Thanks

--Nate

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Not all the EGR coolers fail. I know of one person with a 04 PD with 75K and the coolant is still there.
I would take it to the dealer to change it though for peace of mind.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have a friend with a 2004 Jetta TDI who had both fail; I have a co-worker with a 2004 Jetta which has had neither fail; and my 2006 shows no sign of any issues at all.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
By the way, my friend with the failed EGR cooler (out of warranty) just bypassed the sucker on the coolant side with heater hose instead of replacing the darn thing. It's probably still leaking a wee bit of EGR out into the atmosphere, but it's not enough to interfere with anything.

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
EGR Cooler failed at 26K, lift pump is OK at 30K

My EGR cooler failed at 26K miles and was replaced under warranty. So far the lift pump is working good. I haven't seen too many posts on lift pump failures; I have seen many posts on mysterious loss of coolant.

Florida_TDI

TDI
Passat, 2012, White
The EGR Cooler in my 04 Jetta failed at 48K and my daughter's 03 Golf had the EGR Cooler go at 49K. Fortunately, both repairs were covered by the warranty.

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
Wouldn't the EGR cooler be part of the emission system and as such be warrantied for a longer period of time than 50K?

I've 30K on my 2004. Have only had the tandem pump replaced. Am awaiting the cooler to go. I've the coolant level intentionally at the minimum mark so the light will come on as soon as it drops a bit.

esp

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD
I have a 2004 jetta tdi and have had the in tank lift pump replaced at about 40,000 miles. No signs if a leak in the egr gas cooler. car now has 44,000 miles.

khale

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 5-Speed, Reflex Silver (Sold)
I have 51,600 miles on my 2004 TDI Wagon and the only thing that I have had was the Tandom-pump and a bad coolant overflow that was replaced because it was giving low coolant conditions when it was cold. EGR seems to be doing fine. No coolant loss so far.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
my 04 is makn funny noises between gears. it died and couldnt start for a half a day. i think my fuel pump is on its way out. gna check it out monday.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
No problems on the 2005 Golf PD with the EGR or Lift pump (knock on wood), had a oil return line replaced that was leaking and the seal on the tranny replaced as well.

WINMAG

TDI
2004 JETTA
egr cooler leak

EGR cooler started leaking around 55k or about 6 months ago. Almost at 70k and I'm doing the release pressure and add coolant routine after my wife drives it everyday. Was hoping for some type of recall soon but I guess not. And no it is not covered by the extended emissions warranty. After warranty cost to fix it at a dealer is in the neighborhood of $540.00