Rain-X Washer Fluid

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
I don't like the regular Rain-X stuff for wiping on windows, but wondered if anyone has tried the company's windshield washer fluid? Does it come off easily or leave a strange resideu like the other product?

ExMB

Veteran Member
It does leave a residue, but nowhere near as distracting as the original product. It is however distracting for a second after the washers are activated , but no more so than regular washer fluid. There will be a momentary film the first time the blade passes, but when applied at speed it instantaneously dissipates. It has more or less the same benefits as the original product, it just doesn't last as long, but to re apply all you have to do is squirt.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
by far the best stuff available. I mix the summer bug cleaner and the winter no-freeze. it cleans much better than just the de-icer.

jxpfeer

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta GLS, lux
I use it in my cars, have for years. it's EXCELLENT. I get it walmart for like just over a buck a gallon. When it's icy out, the ice sticks alot less to the windshield. And it's excellent in the rain, my wipers always wipe nice and smooth. I really notice the difference when I get into my friends cars, and see that their wipers streak alot more than mine. Some people say the rain-x will chew up your wipers, but I have not noticed any pre-mature wiper wear on any of my cars... I totally recommend using this stuff.

BigI

Veteran Member
TDI
2k2 Jetta GLS
Been using it for years. The small trick after you apply 3 coats of rain-x is to splater some water on the glass and wipe dry. The hazy film is gone - presto.

I use it mainly in winter where at night on country roads you practicly do not need wipers, the water just blows off.

BAMA TDI

Veteran Member
I like the stuff too. Scared my best friend years ago. One night it was raining. I had put the RAIN-X on a couple of days before. I didn't use my wipers until I came to a traffic light and had to wait on it to change. He thought I would never use my wipers. I said why use them, when at speed, the water just blows right off?? He had never heard of the stuff before.

Haven't used it in a while. Need to start back with it.

Big I is right on the money as far as application goes. Do what he suggested, the white film will disappear, and then I think you will be more happy with it.

John

Beowulf

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta, 1998, Green
I've used the Rain-X stuff for about 2 years after the standard $0.99 "blue stuff" froze block solid on me one slushy winter's day. (Can you imagine the panic of flicking the button to squirt your windshield just to have your blades create a white out at 50MPH?)

It does an excellent job cleaning the window. Rain water practically rolls off the windshield. It is easy to remove frost and ice because of the "protective film" and I've never had the problem with frozen wiper fluid again.

BigI

Veteran Member
TDI
2k2 Jetta GLS
Maybe I will try it to re-inforce the concentrate I mentioned before between applications. In any case, I do recommend the concentrate for ALL your glass and mirrors.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Make that bright, ultra glow orange.

Originally posted by Mass. Wine Guy:
Just to be precise, I'm talkiing about the pink liquid in gallon plastic jugs.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If anyone's interested, Altman Distributing in Ipswich, Mass. sells six gallon jug cases of this for $1.89 a gallon. They also have a great price on Delvac-1.

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
Been using it for 5 yrs. Never let my garage run lower than a case. It's all about comfort.

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
I've been getting it a WallyWorld, Seabrook,NH. I imagine the other stores would have it too.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I've been using RainX since 1977.
The original formula was replaced in '98 with a 'new, easier to apply' forumla that had the unfortunate habit of displacing and building up in the extreme left swing of the wiper blade, which on our cars is smack dab in front of the driver's nose. Not fun.

I called their questions/comments phone number on the back of the bottle and explained that I would no longer be using their product, and why. I guess a lot of people did, because the original formula is back. GREAT STUFF!

As for the pink RainX washer fluid, if you drive a white car, don't use it. It stains the paint, even if it DOES 're-energize' the RainX application from the yellow bottle.

FYI, BeetleGo

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
When I had my RX-7, I treated the windshield with RainX and drove from Baltimore, MD to Louisville, KY in the rain. It rained the entire trip. Didn't use the wipers once.
Great stuff. Wears my arm out applying it though.

-Mel

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I always found with RainX original that any residue was becuase I hadn't wiped it in hard enough. I found that you have to rub the sh$t out of the stuff, and even then, there might still be a cloud.

cocca

Veteran Member
I LOVE RAIN-X. My wife thinks I'm nuts constantly rubbing the hell out of the windows.
I Rain-X the windscreen, all of the side windows, and the rear one too. I even Rain-X the side mirrors AND the headlight lenses.
I never use the damn wipers. I hate wipers. It's just so cool when it's pouring rain and your're cruising down the highway, rain flying off of your car AND NO WIPERS!

oh yeah, i had to edit 'cause i forgot to mention that i rain-x the sunroof too!

[ February 08, 2002, 10:04: Message edited by: cocca ]

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I always found with RainX original that any residue was becuase I hadn't wiped it in hard enough. I found that you have to rub the sh$t out of the stuff, and even then, there might still be a cloud.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
I've used the concentrate additive (just add a squirt to your regular washer fluid) and it rocks the house. Just as good as the wax-on wax-off method, but a lot easier on the arms.