Oil filter housing flange bolts TTY?

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
I am in the middle of replacing the upper and lower seals on the oil cooler to stop a leak. I also bought the flange gasket (housing to engine block) and figured I'd go ahead and change it too while I'm at it. However, I looked at the Bentley manual last night just before pulling it off and was surprised to see that it says to replace those bolts. Although I don't have a problem buying new bolts, I don't have the time because my daughter is taking the car back home.
Have any of you replaced that gasket without replacing the bolts and were there any issues? I don't think that this gasket is leaking so I don't absolutely have to change it now. If it's risky to reuse the original bolts, then I'll just leave it for another time.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
VW recommends many fasteners be replaced. They use a lot of stretch or torque to yield style fasteners. The jury is out. Many are a must do, head bolts, motor mount any with higher torque numbers. You can measure the threads to see if they are no longer true, but that's tricky.
Personally I'd leave that thing alone, I've not read of it leaking. Of course if you observe a leak......

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Normally anything vw suggests as a one time use, I replace. These ones I didn’t .

I’ve got 2000 km in the engine and no signs of leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
My concern is not tight enough I get leaks. Too tight on a used TTY bolt and I get a broken bolt in the head. Not worth the risk. I'm leaving it.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
What are the oil filter flange bolts supposed to get torqued to?
From Bentley:
Tighten to 15 Nm (11 ft-lb) + 1/4 turn (90°) further.
Always replace.
First, insert top left bolt and then lower right.
Tighten all bolts evenly and in a crosswise pattern.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
any time a bolt has to be turned past a torque spec, its a 1 time bolt and a recipe for a snapped off head if you reuse it. i mean its 11ftlb your either going to strip the threads to shear it off if you reuse that or mess it up.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
If the gasket isn't leaking then I might leave that gasket for the next time the car is available and I have the bolts.

hallmant

TDI
Mark IV Golf ALH
Question -do all four have to be replaced or the just the top left. Manual is kind of vague and only points to one bolt, but mentions three.