Rear ABS Tone Ring

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
ABS Tone Ring was more/less a solid mass of rust. Attempted to clean it out and it ended up coming loose.

Figured I'd have to replace the whole rear wheel bearing (which is still just fine), but was pleasantly surprised to find just the tone ring available from idParts

https://www.idparts.com/abs-ring-a4-p-2317.html

Does anyone know how this thing is retained to the wheel bearing assembly?

Assuming I pull the rear bearing off (the old one came off in pieces) - just not sure what holds the new on in place so it doesn't move/spin/etc?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I think it’s four philips screws, however I think a few were riveted on but you’re going to have to remove the entire hub to Replace it, I think I’d just do a complete new preassembled hub assembly.

Is your dust shield still there? My old 00 Golf lost a rear dust shield to rust. In just a few months I had to replace the wheel speed sensor and the tone ring. So I did a new hub assembly, new dust shield, and speed sensor.

Last edited:

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Dust shield fell off this fall, should probably get one of those too... or see if one of my scrap Jetta's has a decent one on it depending on how much they cost.

Where/how do screws or rivets hold the tone ring? I don't see any ears or tabs for any fasteners? Does it just "press" on? The tone ring is like a big spring so would expand pretty easily.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Hold on, I was thinking front, sorry. I think you'll have to replace the whole hub assembly on this one. I don't remember how it's attached, but lack of a dust shield is why this happened so by all means replace that shield.