Pulling 01m transmission connectors without breaking them?

01m_jetta_02

Veteran Member
TDI
I recently broke the wires going to the g38 connector. The connector is the same as the fog light connectors. I have pulled thousands of connectors in my life and can't figure out how to unclip it. The tab seems to not have much play. I bought a few new connectors but it seems silly to have to heat shrink and solder the ripped wires each time. Any pointers on removal?

Thanks

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Lots of dirt gets jammed in there. Hit it with some brake clean, then compressed air to clear it out.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
if it just wont come off, its stuck, try heating it up with a hair dryer or heat gun on low heat. you can also try a can of duster to shock freeze it. but done pry on it when its really cold or you can snap things.
try using something like PB Blaster, my go to is 1:1 ratio mix of acetone and ATF.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I found some plugs that did not come off easily I would push the plug in and hold it then push the release with my other hand and pull the plug out while wiggling it a bit.

Extremely frustrating.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I found some plugs that did not come off easily I would push the plug in and hold it then push the release with my other hand and pull the plug out while wiggling it a bit.

Extremely frustrating.
Best approach