Skid plate!!??

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
Couple that with a top strut tower brace and you'll be amazed at the
improvement.
Oh really! I was reading about your braces and that's what led me to learn about the lower braces. They said the upper wasn't super effective/noticable because of the car's design.

Guess that's one reason to get mkv strut mounts installed in my mkiv....

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
With the Evolution skid plate, do the OEM plastic side skirts still work? Do the side skirts attach to the skid plate or is there an open gap?

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
It's got aluminum frame with a steel pan on the underside:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-mtc-parts/hybrid-oil-pan-assembly/06a103601t~mt/

From ECS tuning. Takes some very MINOR modification (material removal) to make it fit. Literally took me 10 minutes to do the mods.

This is the thread that outlines what you need to do:

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=102541

HI,

Interesting piece ...

Do the 2 pieces mean 2 gaskets for the oil pan (one between the engine block and aluminum part of the pan then another gasket between the steel part of the pan and the aluminum part of the pan)?

I wonder why they just don't have a 1 piece steel pan like on older cars?

Thanks

Andrew

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
HI,

Interesting piece ...

Do the 2 pieces mean 2 gaskets for the oil pan (one between the engine block and aluminum part of the pan then another gasket between the steel part of the pan and the aluminum part of the pan)?

I wonder why they just don't have a 1 piece steel pan like on older cars?

Thanks

Andrew
I think they do or used by to have a full steel stamped pan. I think the aluminum oil pan is integral to the structural rigidity though which is why the stamped steel only doesn't exist anymore... The gauge is too thin to provide the rigidity the aluminum piece provides.

You just use OEM grey gasket maker (I use Permatex "The Right Stuff" between each section. Aluminum to block and steel to aluminum

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Oh really! I was reading about your braces and that's what led me to learn about the lower braces. They said the upper wasn't super effective/noticable because of the car's design.

Guess that's one reason to get mkv strut mounts installed in my mkiv....

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
No need to get different strut mounts, I thought
I had a photo of it, but my pics have dissapeared on the tdi pictures server.
Looks like this;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Golf-MK...546913?hash=item26079dea61:g:yt4AAOSwH61cUuCO

Ties the top of the struts together, otherwise the only thing holding the front
of the car together is the windshield. If you're racing or offroading you
can break it, it helps to reduce body flex. That and the solid skid plate at the
bottom firms the front end. A simple bar across the upper rear
seat belt mounts stiffens the little box that is the Golf. With a good alignment and tires it drives MUCH better.

You do have to drill some holes to mount it, but well worth the effort for me. Very responsive to
driver input and road conditions. A subtle effect that grows on you,
more go-cart than hatchback. No need for poly bushings, which seems
to be the "standard" suspension upgrade.

Works for me!

Ps. Seeing as how you're driving a wagon, and doing some serious towing, I'd recommend both.
And my brake upgrades, got electric brakes on that trailer? That box will hold a LOT of stuff.
Read this listing on Ebay, some serious brakes! (no affiliation)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Volkswagen-Jetta-TDI-Wagon/324036484477?hash=item4b72145d7d:g:KWgAAOSwdz9eFi~2

Last edited:

marbles67

TDI
dont own yet
Please let me/us know the brand you get, and your impressions of the install, etc..
I'm looking for a skid plate and it sounds like we are in the same part of the country.
Hey Vic I'm getting Atlas model 299 Plus 24 for cut out for oil filter if you go down below..our the door 326 I believe..
I will be getting it Friday and will let you know.. Yeah I am in Abbotsford BC...
Even of you drive line gramps around here no one gives you any space on highway heaven forbid they should leave 3 second gap,so yeah very little Time here to react, I think decent investment

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Golf Wagon, 97 Golf Turbo Diesel
Hey Vic I'm getting Atlas model 299 Plus 24 for cut out for oil filter if you go down below..our the door 326 I believe..
I will be getting it Friday and will let you know.. Yeah I am in Abbotsford BC...
Even of you drive line gramps around here no one gives you any space on highway heaven forbid they should leave 3 second gap,so yeah very little Time here to react, I think decent investment
Thanks, Marbles.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
I find the "I've never needed a skid plate" posts amusing. Of course you never need a skid plate until you do.

I have the A4 Defender skid plate and wouldn't want to be without it...even lifted nearly 2 inches.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I find the "I've never needed a skid plate" posts amusing. Of course you never need a skid plate until you do.

I have the A4 Defender skid plate and wouldn't want to be without it...even lifted nearly 2 inches.
There's the opposite argument to yours though. "I bought a skid plate and never needed it". I find posts amusing when people have to justify their purchases. Who cares? buy it or don't. I didn't buy a diesel truck to tow 12k lb trailers. I could though if I wanted to.

To each their own. Spend your dough on what you want. I opted for a hybrid pan over a skid plate. It will dent the steel before it would crack the aluminum unless it was extremely severe impact. In the case of severity, your alloy skid plate would fail and push up into your oil pan, cracking it anyway. It's all situational. If it brings peace of mind and it's well worth it to the end user, party on!:cool:

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
That's right it's just a choice. We try to inform, not dictate. Just be aware the oil pan is aluminum and more exposed than any car I've ever owned. Biggest hazard is high speed urban driving. Some folks are not careful about junk falling out of their truck, you'll never even see it. The steel Panzer plate will lift the car off the road before it will crush.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Common road hazards in Souther California: aluminum ladders, surfboards, lawn furniture, tire treads and garbage cans.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Having never had an accident in over 40 years, I find the hybrid oil pan sort of amusing. My Panzer plate has enough north country battle scars to justify itself and proven to withstand quite a substantial hazard impact. The hybrid pan is wishful thinking/hoping that it will survive and is a more work to install (unless you have already wrecked a pan and need to replace it, in which case you have a real reason for a plate). Sort of like "damage control" vs damage prevention.
Perhaps if I never had to drive off pavement or no winter season it would perhaps change the rationale but I have to deal with rutted non-maintainence roads, winter semi-truck/trailer icebergs dropping out of nowhere and plenty of other road hazards. A real skid plate is just a part of owning and keeping one of these cars intact and/or not being stranded somewhere very inconvenient.
Buy, as mentioned, it's your money and your car. Make your choices and hope it works out.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
When I get a new MK4 I buy a dieselgeek skid plate, as with a vcds these two things ought to come with a vw or at least be part of an option package.

marbles67

TDI
dont own yet
There's the opposite argument to yours though. "I bought a skid plate and never needed it". I find posts amusing when people have to justify their purchases. Who cares? buy it or don't. I didn't buy a diesel truck to tow 12k lb trailers. I could though if I wanted to.

To each their own. Spend your dough on what you want. I opted for a hybrid pan over a skid plate. It will dent the steel before it would crack the aluminum unless it was extremely severe impact. In the case of severity, your alloy skid plate would fail and push up into your oil pan, cracking it anyway. It's all situational. If it brings peace of mind and it's well worth it to the end user, party on!:cool:
I agree your entitled to give feedback without question and your driving habits and terrain allows for you to be comfortable without using skid plate definitely need hear both sides and I do appreciate it very much

marbles67

TDI
dont own yet
Having never had an accident in over 40 years, I find the hybrid oil pan sort of amusing. My Panzer plate has enough north country battle scars to justify itself and proven to withstand quite a substantial hazard impact. The hybrid pan is wishful thinking/hoping that it will survive and is a more work to install (unless you have already wrecked a pan and need to replace it, in which case you have a real reason for a plate). Sort of like "damage control" vs damage prevention.
Perhaps if I never had to drive off pavement or no winter season it would perhaps change the rationale but I have to deal with rutted non-maintainence roads, winter semi-truck/trailer icebergs dropping out of nowhere and plenty of other road hazards. A real skid plate is just a part of owning and keeping one of these cars intact and/or not being stranded somewhere very inconvenient.
Buy, as mentioned, it's your money and your car. Make your choices and hope it works out.
What are referring to as Hybrid Pan?

marbles67

TDI
dont own yet
See post #27 in this thread - I asked the same question.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-mtc-parts/hybrid-oil-pan-assembly/06a103601t~mt/

Missed that thanks for pointing it out..well I got it today made in Canada and it's a really nice thick shield.
Oil drain plug cut out and I bought the cover for it.. I love it and can't wait to install hopefully tomorrow.. I honestly have been nervous especially driving in this snow since I found out about the ease of pan damage..
I wish I could figure out how to post Pics

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Golf Wagon, 97 Golf Turbo Diesel
.well I got it today made in Canada and it's a really nice thick shield.
Oil drain plug cut out and I bought the cover for it.. I love it and can't wait to install hopefully tomorrow.. I honestly have been nervous especially driving in this snow since I found out about the ease of pan damage..
That's the Evolution skid plate?
I just ordered one.........
[/url][/IMG]

marbles67

TDI
dont own yet
All installed,took my two hours and had couple of hiccups but 53 years old and not as flexible as I use to be all in all happy with the product