05 Jetta cell phone holder

Benjet

TDI
2005 Jetta
I have a rather basic question about my son's 05 Jetta TDI and thought this forum would be a good place to get help. Am looking for a cup holder cell phone holder for the center console. The console has two cup holders and he wants to place the phone in the forward most holder;however it is quite shallow at 2" depth and the base for the holder I bought him for Christmas and others I look at exceed 2". What do those of you who drive this model VW use to hold your cell phone?

Thanks

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I use a suction cup style to my windshield. A few friends of mine use the left side vent holder style. They all work, it comes down to preference.

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
I have a rather basic question about my son's 05 Jetta TDI and thought this forum would be a good place to get help. Am looking for a cup holder cell phone holder for the center console. The console has two cup holders and he wants to place the phone in the forward most holder;however it is quite shallow at 2" depth and the base for the holder I bought him for Christmas and others I look at exceed 2". What do those of you who drive this model VW use to hold your cell phone?

Thanks
Upper cup thrower attachment above radio. Works smooth and is free:p

Blocks the drivers side center vent with a laptop size phone if he has that; but a normal sized cell will be held just fine in that. And angled almost perfect at the same time.

The center cupholders require me to move my eyes too far from the road and can cause a major issue with such in my personal opinion

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Upper cup thrower attachment above radio. Works smooth and is free:p

Blocks the drivers side center vent with a laptop size phone if he has that; but a normal sized cell will be held just fine in that. And angled almost perfect at the same time.

The center cupholders require me to move my eyes too far from the road and can cause a major issue with such in my personal opinion

I've tried this method but the phone will always angle awkward and then slide down through the base.

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
I've tried this method but the phone will always angle awkward and then slide down through the base.
Works fine with iPhone and galaxy s8/s9+ since years. Unless your cupholder springs are weak it wont fall

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Works fine with iPhone and galaxy s8/s9+ since years. Unless your cupholder springs are weak it wont fall
Nah not the issue. My cupholder is brand new. I have an S9. It doesn't work for me.

I guess leaving the cell phone in his pocket and driving the car is not an option?
Some of us use our phones for google maps or similar. Everything else is hooked up to bluetooth for hands free.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Suction mount lower left corner of the windshield. Experimenting with
a flexible GPS mount center of the dash just above the vents.
Finding somewhere that doesn't block the windshield with minimal
eye movement from the driver's line of sight to the device is tricky.

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
Cup thrower indeed. Apparently, the engineers only designed it to hold soda cans.
Fun fact- the 250.000liter cups dont really exist where these cars were designed ;)

I think the closest *fast food* joint to where I grew up was 30 min of a drive and 24hr stuff doesnt exist either [emoji14]

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
As hitman showed, I use the cupholder above radio also. I think a rubbery protective case on the cell phone also helps, as skinny little slippery cell phones might slip thru. You could always put a short cup in there, and put skinny little slippery cell phone in the cup. Adjust height in cup with paper towels. Drill hole in bottom of cup if you need a charger cord attached to phone.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
As hitman showed, I use the cupholder above radio also. I think a rubbery protective case on the cell phone also helps, as skinny little slippery cell phones might slip thru. You could always put a short cup in there, and put skinny little slippery cell phone in the cup. Adjust height in cup with paper towels. Drill hole in bottom of cup if you need a charger cord attached to phone.
I have a rubber case on mine that's even ribbed, it's still a no go. I def need to find a solution to this as well. I could put a cupholder in there but then it would block the vents. I need to source a cupholder center console...

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
In another vehicle with extremely shallow cupholders, I went to the electrical PVC conduit fittings isle at the hardware store.

like these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-13-...021723?hash=item5927fd9d9b:g:3cwAAOSweiFcCZ0N

then went to black rubber fittings in plumbing isle for the bottom. like these:

https://www.amazon.com/EVERCONNECT-...bber+cap+plumbing&qid=1578603924&sr=8-1-fkmr2

The inside was a tad bit small for the size I needed for the bottled drinks of choice (say, Mexican Topo Chico https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topo_Chico_(drink), so I had to ream the inside out a bit with a drill bit.

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
I have a rubber case on mine that's even ribbed, it's still a no go. I def need to find a solution to this as well. I could put a cupholder in there but then it would block the vents. I need to source a cupholder center console...
You can find those at local yards all day usually in decent condition. I've got several that I keep as spares as I spend a lot of time in my vehicles for example and want everything a certain way. Just keep in mind if it's a manual it may interfere with shifting depending on what the travel or slop looks like on the tower

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
You can find those at local yards all day usually in decent condition. I've got several that I keep as spares as I spend a lot of time in my vehicles for example and want everything a certain way. Just keep in mind if it's a manual it may interfere with shifting depending on what the travel or slop looks like on the tower

Yeah actually a lot of stuff gets picked thru here in the PNW or the yards want darn near new prices for them. I have a manual, I don't think it will interfere with anything. I have a DG Sigma 5 short shifter and all my bushings are in good shape so I should be good to go. Just need to find one that's reasonably priced

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
My wife has been using a vent clip like this for several years. It was a dollar and fifty cents at "Dollarama."

Around here, you can get a huge fine if you are seen touching it while driving. For example, swiping to change songs is forbidden.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Around here, you can get a huge fine if you are seen touching it while driving. For example, swiping to change songs is forbidden.
We're allowed the "1 finger" use for phones. Ie if it's in a holder, you can tap tap tap, slide, whatever. Soon as you use that second finger though, all hell breaks loose.

I think for the Golf/Jetta fabbing a bracket may be the best option I've seen. I haven't seen too many clever ways to do it. The vents (at least in my car) are too weak to hold a phone.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
That seems a bit extreme - do they hit you with the same fine if they see you change stations on the radio?
Here's the law: http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/96318_06#part3.1

I would say no, they don't include a radio in the definition of electronic device.

For adjusting the radio they could get you for not driving with due care and attention, but they'd probably only notice if you were swerving or something. They could use this section of the motor vehicle act to nail you for that.
http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/96318_05#section144

For cell phones, you don't even have to be using it to get charged. Just holding it in a position in which it may be used is enough.