MK IV heated seat retrofit how to

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I poured thru countless threads until I gathered enough info to install my heated seats in my 02 Jetta. Now that they are in and working properly, I thought I would contribute so others might not have to spend as much time as I did doing the research before beginning the job.

Disclaimer - do this at your own risk. I am not responsible for what you do to your car. If is possible for the air bags to be deployed from static discharge even when the car's battery is disconnected.

I want to thank Oldpoopie and G60ING for the pictures I borrowed from their threads.

I used the wiring harness from Kufatec: http://kufatec.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_11&products_id=17

You will also need drivers and passenger side switches for the dash, an inline blade fuse holder, a 7.5 a and a 15 a blade fuse, solder, soldering torch, heat shrink, and of course a pair of heated seats. The airbag connector changed in 2002.5 (the year of both of my Jettas) so if using post 02.5 seats in a pre 02.5 car, you will need to repin a new connector housing to match. That info is not in this thread.

There were 4 connections to be made inside the dash, you will need an ohm meter since all the wires in the pre-made harness are the same color.

Step 1 - remove negative battery terminal (isn't that what the manuals always say for step one :p)

Step 2 - remove the driver's side lower dash covers, side cover, and inner metal panel below steering column with your torx driver.

Step 3 - remove center dash vent cover by gently pulling the corners with your fingers and it will pop right out. Remove the seats by removing the 2 nuts at the base of the front of each seat (13mm socket) and the plastic trim strips over the seat rails with one phillips screw hiding under the small round cover. Lift the front of the seat, unplug the harness from the seat, slide it back and out of the rails. Remove the rear portion of the center console at this time also (the part under the Ebrake handle) You will need to remove the arm rest to do this. Also at this time, remove the trim on the kick panel on the drivers side, and the sill cover.

Step 4 - get out the mulitmeter. I actually did this before I started working inside the car. You will have a ring terminal, a wire with a preinstalled fuse panel terminal, 2 wires with no terminals installed, and a wire with a fuse panel end on one side and a ring terminal on the other. Using the ohm meter, identify and label the 2 wires without terminals, the one that goes to pin 1 on the seat connectors is for dimmed power, the one that goes to pin 5 on the seat connectors is for 7.5 a switched power. Also ID which switch and heat connectors go to each other by checking continuity between pin 2 of the switch connector and pin 5 of the seat connector and label them accordingly. TIP - the seat connector with the longest wire harness is for the passenger side ;) See diagram below:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Using solder and heat shrink, attach a large ring terminal to the inline fuse holder on one end and attach the other end to the wire that goes to pin 5 on the seat connector. The ring terminal end of this will connect to stud 75X on the car's interior power distribution block.

Step 5 - Route the wires behind the center of the dash so the switch connectors come out above the radio, connect them to the switches in the vent cover, reinstall the vent cover, then follow the factory wiring bundle with the rest of the harness behind the dash. Continue routing thru the kick panel area and under the sill plate area, then under the carpet, with the drivers connector coming out where the rest of the wires for the seat comes out of the carpet. Continue routing the pass side over the hump under the carpet and out the pass side seat harness hole in the carpet.

Step 6 - Time to make the dash electrical connections. See pic below. Place the factory installed ring terminal from your harness to the dash ground. It is an acorn nut (10mm socket) under the steering column with 2 other brown wires already there. Place the extra single wire provided with the ring on one end and fuse panel end on the other, ring to unswitched power 30 on the distribution block (10mm socket) and fuse end into the left side of fuse 44 area of fuse panel. Place the wire on the pre-made harness with the fuse connector in the right side of fuse 44 hole( as seen from the fuse side). It just snaps in the back, make sure it is fully seated. Install the 15 amp fuse here. Place the ring terminal you installed on the inline fuse to switched power 75X (10mm socket). Install 7.5 amp fuse in the holder. The dimmed power wire will go to the dimmer switch, just pop it out by pushing from the back side since the dash covers are out of the way. The top wire, gray with a blue stripe, is the dimmed power. Strip a small amount of the insulation from this wire and solder the wire from the seat harness to this. I removed the pin from the connector so I could use heat shrink, but you can use electrical tape here if you wish. Now you can reassemble everything you removed to route the harness.

Install the seats, connect the harnesses to each seat, reinstall the seat rail trim, reconnect the battery, and enjoy your warm toasty buns :)

Last edited:

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
How hard overall was this from 1-10(hardest), cause i personally put seats from a 99.5 GTI in my 99.5 Jetta, and i would be doing the same thing as you did, but i have never really done much wiring (ive done plently of mechanical and interior work though) other than installing a radio. I know how to solder and stuff, but is this a project for someone who hasnt done much in the field to start on?

How much was it too, Thanks.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Ease factor - pretty dang easy if you can solder. It cost about $80 for the harness, I found the switches for $20 for both shipped from someone here, and $200 or so for the seats ( I can't remember, I bought all this stuff over a year ago and just now got them in)

Plan on a few hours, 2 or 3.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Just completed a heated seat install into an '00 Golf - made my own harness. Wasn't too hard overall, probably took me 6 hours in total work.

Conversely to getting the repair wires you can get just the pin connector ends and crimp them directly to the wire.

VDUBS

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS PD
Just done doing this today. Pretty easy, just time consuming. Thanks for putting this together!

Last edited:

pro5utah

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Does anyone have the part number for the seat connector that is used in the post 2002.5 cars? I have one and need to modify my Kufatec harness to use it in my 2003 Jetta.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
I believe that kufatec harness already uses the 2002.5+ style seat connector. What exactly is the issue? Your sure it doesn't fit?

pro5utah

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
I misread the OP and thought he was saying that the Kufatec was for pre-02.5 seats. I just walked out to my car with the harness that arrived and it does fit my 2003 seats.

Thanks SFH!

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Great! Thought so. I haven't even fit my heated seat harness yet. Still sitting in the garage waiting to be installed.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure I understand the question. How else would the switch control the seat heater?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Well the seat grid is grounded via the green wire. I would think the grid would only need voltage provided by one wire. Maybe it has two separate wires for the upper and lower portions of the seat?

Lanp900

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Golf 2001-Bert
The third wire to the heater elements is fed by a temperature sensor. This allows the elements to match the desired temperature indicated by the switch.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
How hard is it to just swap all the wiring?

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
How hard is it to just swap all the wiring?
If you're asking how hard is it to obtain a MkIV seat heater wiring harness intact from a donor in a junkyard, it's several hours worth of work. The seat heater wiring harness is combined into the general vehicle wiring harness so you have to either know where to cut to take chunks with you, or you have to spend several hours disassembling the donor car to extract the portion of the harness you want to keep.

I could certainly obtain the second harness faster than I obtained my first MkIV seat heater harness, but it's still a couple of hours work. It made the work I had to do to obtain a mid 90's Passat seat heater harness for my Corrado seem much easier, because in the mid 90's VW seat heater harnesses were stand alone.

If my China Post package shows up with my $40 ebay seat heaters this week, I'll see what I can do about creating a how-to grafting old and new parts.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
If my China Post package shows up with my $40 ebay seat heaters this week, I'll see what I can do about creating a how-to grafting old and new parts.

I'd like to see that. The pads in my B4's passenger seat only get lukewarm.

-Todd

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
I know this is an old topic but figured to bring it to life.

I took the heated seat and OEM heated seat harness from my son wrecked VW 5spd BEW��. I have the harness complete 100% with no chop chop .

3 wires in question or I should say actually 2

The Red goes hot to fuse #44 15 Amp
The solid brown to earth
The black/ brown looks like 7.5 Amp but not sure what circuit ( one of the wires that was tuff to trace in the loom) I can make room for it in the fuse box

Blue/ gray from my research shows positive in dash panel instrument lighting <—- what or where in the world

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170217/55287e7bddbab74f02582a7da2f30efe.jpg

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
Blue/ gray from my research shows positive in dash panel instrument lighting <—- what or where in the world
For the switch backlighting, sir. ;)
Nice thing about that part is that it matters not where in the dash lighting circuit you get power, as it's the same everywhere.

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
For the switch backlighting, sir. ;)
Nice thing about that part is that it matters not where in the dash lighting circuit you get power, as it's the same everywhere.

Not following , what is the Amp's or voltage for that circuit you referring to .

Red goes to Fuse #44 15 Amp

Brown to Earth

Black / Brown I discovered its on the 7.5 Fused circuit , therefore I am going to tap into one of the upper circuit appear on my fuse box with 7.5 Amp

Gray / Black …….:confused:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Black/Brown? you sure that Brown is not a faded yellow? And in that case it would be circuit 75x (aka load reduction or accessory power)

Grey/Blue is used to back light the heated seat switch so you can see it in the dark. Doesn't matter where you tap into that circuit, as long as it's after the dimmer switch.

Jason