New 1 Micron 100% Sythetic Microglass Fuel Filter

ndamico

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
they are M12 folded crush washers. i'd get the folded ones if i were you. the regular flat ones will work but they aren't as good.

i would sell a set of 4 for $4 including a postage stamp and envelope.

kiwibru said:
So Nick, you wrote:
You should replace the crush washers every time you take the banjo bolt loose. You can get them from me or elsewhere. they are only a few bucks for a set of 4.

What size are the crush washers? Can probably find locally given the size.

tstoehr

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
Finished my installation

I ordered my Nicktane kit on Monday, received in on Wednesday, and installed it Thursday morning on my 2002 Golf A4/VE. Installation went OK given my very limited mechanic skills and tools. This was actually a changeover from the older Cat2 kit which I had been running for 80,000 miles. I had a few minor issues with that one but no actual problems. I liked some things about the Nicktane including getting rid of the Tee, the raised banjos, and it looked cooler. So I figured... why not? I stuck with the Cat filter cartridges cuz I already have a box of 4 of them and I like their slimmer profile, which I guessing helps during installation and changes. At first I thought the filter head might be too small to match up prpoperly against the Cat's built-in rubber gasket. But as it turns out, that gasket is raised towards the inside, and that's where it mates with the filter head and has plenty of room.

My observations:

I'm trying to like the filter holder/bracket, but I'm not too keen on it. I wish it had the same built-in threads that the OEM bracket had, and used the same OEM bolts. And I had some very nervous moments precariously holding those little nuts underneath while trying to catch the threads. I consider myself very luck to have not dropped either one of them. And that thin little strip of metal suspending the filter in mid-air during years of vibration makes me a bit nervous. If anyone thinks I'm wrong about this bracket, I'm listening.

More about the bracket. The Cat filter, if allowed, will bottom-out on the the interior body metal within the engine compartment. This is different from the older Cat2 filter kit using the OEM bracket which would cause the filter to bottom-out on a metal air-conditioning line. The Nicktane bracket keeps the filter closer in, so it misses that air-conditioning line. It's then a simple matter to raise it up an inch to keep it suspended in air, which I'm assuming is the proper way to go. Tightening the ring clamps that secure the filter was somewhat difficult. I finally figured out that I had to use a socket extender bar and run that past the washer-fluid tank in order to have room to operate my ratchet handle, or to just hand-tighten it with a firm grip on the extender bar.

My least favorite part of the entire installation was installing the bracket retaining nuts underneath the side panel.

My most favorite part of the installation was sliding the hose-clamps back into position over the banjo fittings. This was a total breeze. The older Cat2 kit made it a real hassle to get the feul lines and hose clamps back into postion. The raised banjos are a winner.

Oh yeah... no bubble! I never had problems with bubbles running thru the line while the engine was running, but there was always a bubble sitting there when the engine was off. And as you can see now, it's gone.:D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2143073/DSCN1091.JPG

tstoehr

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
BTW Nick, I suggest you add a new item for sale on your web site. A packet containing two copper crush washers *and* the rubber O-ring for the nipple.

ndamico

TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
why only 2 crush washers instead of 4?

also why would you want to replace the o-ring for the nipple? the one supplied is viton. I could see replacing it eventually, but every service seems wasteful.

But sure i can add whatever items you feel you would need. I've got plenty of them all!

tstoehr said:
BTW Nick, I suggest you add a new item for sale on your web site. A packet containing two copper crush washers *and* the rubber O-ring for the nipple.

ndamico

TDI
Don't worry, the bracket won't break. Besides its steel not aluminum. I did notice that you installed the bracket on top of your inner fender vs. below it. maybe that has something to do with your increased level of difficulty installing it?

here's how i do it- place bracket with clamps on it under inner fender well. drop a bolt through the hole in the fender and through the bracket. place nut underneath and hold in place with forefinger. spin the top of the bolt a couple times to catch a couple threads then do the same with the other bolt. then i just got back with an open ended wrench holding each nut and a 1/4" ratchet to tighten each bolt and i'm done.

if you were really worried you could put the nut & bolt in upside down which would be even easier. you wouldn't have any clearance issue. it would just be visually different looking...

tstoehr said:
I ordered my Nicktane kit on Monday, received in on Wednesday, and installed it Thursday morning on my 2002 Golf A4/VE. Installation went OK given my very limited mechanic skills and tools. This was actually a changeover from the older Cat2 kit which I had been running for 80,000 miles. I had a few minor issues with that one but no actual problems. I liked some things about the Nicktane including getting rid of the Tee, the raised banjos, and it looked cooler. So I figured... why not? I stuck with the Cat filter cartridges cuz I already have a box of 4 of them and I like their slimmer profile, which I guessing helps during installation and changes. At first I thought the filter head might be too small to match up prpoperly against the Cat's built-in rubber gasket. But as it turns out, that gasket is raised towards the inside, and that's where it mates with the filter head and has plenty of room.

My observations:

I'm trying to like the filter holder/bracket, but I'm not too keen on it. I wish it had the same built-in threads that the OEM bracket had, and used the same OEM bolts. And I had some very nervous moments precariously holding those little nuts underneath while trying to catch the threads. I consider myself very luck to have not dropped either one of them. And that thin little strip of metal suspending the filter in mid-air during years of vibration makes me a bit nervous. If anyone thinks I'm wrong about this bracket, I'm listening.

More about the bracket. The Cat filter, if allowed, will bottom-out on the the interior body metal within the engine compartment. This is different from the older Cat2 filter kit using the OEM bracket which would cause the filter to bottom-out on a metal air-conditioning line. The Nicktane bracket keeps the filter closer in, so it misses that air-conditioning line. It's then a simple matter to raise it up an inch to keep it suspended in air, which I'm assuming is the proper way to go. Tightening the ring clamps that secure the filter was somewhat difficult. I finally figured out that I had to use a socket extender bar and run that past the washer-fluid tank in order to have room to operate my ratchet handle, or to just hand-tighten it with a firm grip on the extender bar.

My least favorite part of the entire installation was installing the bracket retaining nuts underneath the side panel.

My most favorite part of the installation was sliding the hose-clamps back into position over the banjo fittings. This was a total breeze. The older Cat2 kit made it a real hassle to get the feul lines and hose clamps back into postion. The raised banjos are a winner.

Oh yeah... no bubble! I never had problems with bubbles running thru the line while the engine was running, but there was always a bubble sitting there when the engine was off. And as you can see now, it's gone.:D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2143073/DSCN1091.JPG

ndamico

TDI
i've added an item for the 4 banjo washers. i still have the adjust the shipping cost on them as its incorrect.

tstoehr

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
Nick, of course *4* copper washers, not 2. And I mounted the filter bracket on top only because I didn't pay enough attention to your pictures. It seems fine on top, I don't think I'll change it.
About the viton o-rings. I had planned on changing them every time I changed the filter which would be every 50,000 miles which would be 3 or 4 years. The guy who made the first cat2 filter system includes a new o-ring with each filter purchased. It's the same size as the one in the unit you sent me, but I don't know what it's made of. Personally, I would pay a buck or two for a new o-ring after 3 or more years. I could be wrong but I'd guess most of the people who invest in your filter kit would want a new o-ring at each filter replacement. Need it? I don't know. Want it? Yes. That's one customer's input.

ndamico

TDI
i can see your point. thanks!

tstoehr said:
Personally, I would pay a buck or two for a new o-ring after 3 or more years. I could be wrong but I'd guess most of the people who invest in your filter kit would want a new o-ring at each filter replacement. Need it? I don't know. Want it? Yes. That's one customer's input.

ndamico

TDI
I just added the o-ring to the site. I'll be shipping these in a regular envelope with a stamp. The site won't add shipping for it or the banjo washers.

Thank you again for your feedback :)

Last edited:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Personally, I'd much rather take the hoses on and off the barbs than mess with the banjos, but thats just me. After all, this unit has raised bosses to allow easier install and removal of the hoses...

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
oldpoopie said:
Personally, I'd much rather take the hoses on and off the barbs than mess with the banjos, but thats just me. After all, this unit has raised bosses to allow easier install and removal of the hoses...
x2..........

ndamico

TDI
For those of you wondering about cold weather, I copied this from the other site I have a Nicktane section on as it pertains to the 1-micron element (no fuel heater, etc. and its mounted outside the engine compartment towards the rear of the truck).

The original post can be found here:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3579750&postcount=5

I didn't have a problem with my Nicktane kit and 1 micron filter last winter here in Minnesota, and it didn't get above -20 for almost two months straight.

Tom

rosskuhns

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
which line?

oldpoopie said:
Absolutely. I reccomend getting a vac-pump of some sort to prime the filter to EVERYONE. Its a way easeir and cleaner way to prime the filter. Absolutely surefire every time.

I just got mine, looks nice. Which fuel line do you use to pull new diesel from to fill the tank?
Or a good time to just fill the filter with diesel purge?

R

ndamico

TDI
You want to pull from the filter outlet to prime the filter. that is the fitting coming from the exact center of the filter head. The one towards the outside is the inlet.

rosskuhns said:
I just got mine, looks nice. Which fuel line do you use to pull new diesel from to fill the tank?
Or a good time to just fill the filter with diesel purge?

R

superskid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
ndamico said:
For those of you wondering about cold weather, I copied this from the other site I have a Nicktane section on as it pertains to the 1-micron element (no fuel heater, etc. and its mounted outside the engine compartment towards the rear of the truck).

The original post can be found here:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3579750&postcount=5
Saving up to buy one, -20 is a different game then -40....lol

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
Remember they are talking "American", sorry just had too, that would be "F" not "C"

-20F mean -28C

still not -40C, but i wouldn't worry, i do know how cold it gets out there, i grew up in High Prairie

superskid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
REDNECKDZL said:
Remember they are talking "American", sorry just had too, that would be "F" not "C"

-20F mean -28C

still not -40C, but i wouldn't worry, i do know how cold it gets out there, i grew up in High Prairie
Yea, figured if was "F", which is why I went with -40 as that is the same temp in both scales.

rosskuhns

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
I just installed mine tonight. Woah! I didn't think about it, but for my car it was a performance mod. I must have been starving for fuel, or my Mehle filter was pretty clogged (I looked up the records and it had 15K on it).

Nick, have you checked how much these lower backpressure/improve flow? Maybe this was already covered.

With more surface area on a new filter, and improved media (for flow?) I'd expect as much, but it was really about what I'm expecting out of my lift pump. Feels much meatier in the midrange and pulls better in high rpm's. I'd guess I just got 10hp. Maybe I was getting air thru the stock thermo T. (my '03 doesn't have the clear fuel line)

fwiw, running a 17/22 turbo, downpipe, RC4 and racepipe.

Thanks Nick! Now just put some instructions together and it's a full blown winner.

Oh, for install, it was easy enough, but I'm very mechanically inclined; 10 years ago it probably would have been a feat to figure out myself, but it's pretty obvious if you just don't overthink things. Looks sharp too. I just plugged the fuel line from the pump with a golf T, the filled the filter with DieselKleen before I put it in (maybe the Cetane boost from the DK helped? the power gain was instantaneous though). It took almost a full small bottle to fill the filter. Started right up and had one little hiccup then ran like a champ.

Ross

Last edited:

ndamico

TDI
Glad you liked the filter! The filter flows 30 GPM. I'm not sure if i mentioned it earlier or not.

rosskuhns said:
I just installed mine tonight. Woah! I didn't think about it, but for my car it was a performance mod. I must have been starving for fuel, or my Mehle filter was pretty clogged (I looked up the records and it had 15K on it).

Nick, have you checked how much these lower backpressure/improve flow? Maybe this was already covered.

With more surface area on a new filter, and improved media (for flow?) I'd expect as much, but it was really about what I'm expecting out of my lift pump. Feels much meatier in the midrange and pulls better in high rpm's. I'd guess I just got 10hp. Maybe I was getting air thru the stock thermo T. (my '03 doesn't have the clear fuel line)

fwiw, running a 17/22 turbo, downpipe, RC4 and racepipe.

Thanks Nick! Now just put some instructions together and it's a full blown winner.

Oh, for install, it was easy enough, but I'm very mechanically inclined; 10 years ago it probably would have been a feat to figure out myself, but it's pretty obvious if you just don't overthink things. Looks sharp too. I just plugged the fuel line from the pump with a golf T, the filled the filter with DieselKleen before I put it in (maybe the Cetane boost from the DK helped? the power gain was instantaneous though). It took almost a full small bottle to fill the filter. Started right up and had one little hiccup then ran like a champ.

Ross

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
ndamico, what is the part number for the 1 micron filter, is it the Cat 1R0749? If it is then it is a 2 micron, as it is the same filter as their 1R0750 only one is the long and one is the short version of the same micron rating I do believe.

ndamico

TDI
Hi,

The CAT filter i use in my Duramax kits is the 2 micron 1R-0749. It has the same media as the 1R-0750 filter that some people use on the TDI's. Its just longer:

http://nicktane.com/osc/product_info.php?cPath=22_21&products_id=29

The 1-Micron filter I sell for the Duramax is here:

http://nicktane.com/osc/product_info.php?products_id=30

The 1-Micron filter I sell for the TDI utilizes the same media as the 1-Micron Duramax filter above but in a shorter configuration:

http://nicktane.com/osc/product_info.php?products_id=48

I sell the TDI kit so that people can use either my 1-Micron 100% synthetic element or the CAT 2 micron semi-synthetic blend element. Hopefully this answers your questions.

FXDL said:
ndamico, what is the part number for the 1 micron filter, is it the Cat 1R0749? If it is then it is a 2 micron, as it is the same filter as their 1R0750 only one is the long and one is the short version of the same micron rating I do believe.

ndamico

TDI
I just received another shipment of beetle brackets in case anyone needs one.

ndamico

TDI
If i can find someone in the area with one i'd be happy to build a kit. anyone care to volunteer?

ndamico

TDI
I'm running low on red & blue filter heads. Still have plenty of black ones in stock.

ndamico

TDI
We are actually planning a date within a week or two. so yes he's stepped up... quite a bit too given he doesn't even live in my state :D

MAW said:
Did anyone with an A5 step up yet for the test fit?

MAW

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
That's great. I will be ordering one as soon as they are available. Make it red also:D

ndamico

TDI
Thanks to Power_Not_Speed (Brian) for coming by yesterday all the way from the Oregon coast to let me look at his A5. i made a prototype bracket and now its off to the fab shop to get duplicated.

Thanks again Brian!:D:D