TDI suspension type?

chin00kie

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
I am looking for after-market strut/spring assemblies for my 1997 Jetta TDI. Best car I ever owned but she is old and her legs are weak. [A lot like myself].
There are a handful of choices available but for some reason they [exclude diesel models]. I have asked at least three of the suppliers why and what is the difference. They cannot answer. The common explanation is that it is a sport suspension. I didn't realize my TDI was a "sport suspension". Actually, I don't know how to define "sport suspension".
What is different about the TDI suspension? Does anyone know? Please let me know if you have the answer.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
The TDI is a tad heavier than the gasser 4 cylinders, though not by much. That may have something to do with it. Generally though I find a lot of performance vendors act like the diesel options don't exist.

Generally speaking any 4 cylinder gasser options will work, though the car may end up slightly lower at the front. Likely less than half an inch though. All the mounting points, bushings, etc are identical between the TDI and the gasser 4 cylinder cars. VR6 cars often have a few things different.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
I have the eibach sportline front and rear suspension off a 2.0 and rides great. No issue in the install.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I would shy away from the strut assemblies with new coils on them. The companies that tend to put these things together are typically the lower tier shock / strut makers, like Monroe or Gabriel or even some no name stuff.

If you're interested in lowering the car a bit look for 4 cylinder versions, the 6 cylinder typically has different front spring than the 4 cylinder. I have two Eibach kits, one for 6 and one for 4 cylinder, the rears are the same but the fronts are different numbers. Eibach does make a suspension kit IIRC, and it is a strut / spring combo but it's kind of expensive but the dampers (struts) are quite good.

Steve

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
its easy to find suspension parts, &shocks and struts, whatever for mk3's. i was wondering why my front end looked a little different (note to vanbc post). its fairly easy to find good price$ on high-quality shocks&struts. such as billies(as i say, bilstiens), perhaps harder to fid good low prices on koni, eibach seems ok, although i had a lowering kit i had to scrap and put on the shelf. rubbed the oil pan and some of the undercarriage quite a bit. ended up losing an engine, lucky i got it running with out having to tear it apart and send to the machine shop. dont intend to lower again, looks real sporty, and performancy, can be a real liability.
note: ive come across mk3's that handle normal suspension parts, except you get to the top spring cap of shock/strut, in order for the cap bearing to turn freely you need the spring cap from the plus suspension, this can be hard to get together right so it will work. the other parts on top of the cap i dont remember if they are all plus suspension parts.

not to say the above paragraph, you can find different grades(stiffness) for the billies, and perhaps others.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd suggest you get Koni STR.Ts or Bilstein TCs, new mounts, use your existing springs, and be done with it. Both ride and handle great in MKIII cars and are reasonably priced. Part numbers are the same for gas and diesel cars.