2009 TDI lower coolant hose removal

evoblade

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
I'm sure this is going to be very simple, but at this point I have spent two frustrating evenings trying to get the lower coolant hose removed from the radiator. I removed the locking clip from the connection but the cottonpicker wont budge. I'm afraid I will break something. What is the trick here. I found a similar thread (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=389383 ) that advises PB blaster. Is that a good idea? This damn thing wont budge!!!

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
Wiggle, pull, wiggle pull. Probably just really stuck on there.

No real tricks.

The PB blaster recommendation is for re installing the hose.

I personally use whatever I have laying around. WD40, dab of oil, trans fluid whatever. Just lube the o ring up with something and it goes on fairly easy.

evoblade

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Its definitely a stubborn bastard. I'm trying to figure out how to put a comealong on it! I guess I'll go try again... spent about 4 frustrated evenings on this so far.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I just pulled the hose from the adapter further up the line, past the hard plastic end part. there is a hose clamp that is easier to remove with the right cable operated hose clamp.

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
I concur with the above referenced tool
I actually have a SnapOn radiator hose removal tool, it's shaped a little different
But basically the same principal.
Insert it between the hose and the male connector and run it around once.
It's very effective in removing hoses.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
When I did my TB last year I decided that hose was the hardest part of the entire TB job. I finally used large channel locks on it, lightly twist to break it free then wiggled it off. You have way more patience than I.... it took me only about a half hour to think 'screw it' and grab the channel locks.

If it don't go.....FORCE IT. If it breaks.......IT NEEDED REPLACED ANYWAY.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
FWIW, I find carb spray works great on the plastic quick connect couplings many manufacturers use on the cooling system components.

The problem is, you cannot twist the connector, because there is an index tab on the neck. So you can only pull straight off. Too much wiggling and you can fatigue the neck itself, especially on the radiators.

But if you get the clip out, liberal dose of carb spray, then some wiggling with gentle tugs, more spray, maybe wait a few minutes, then come back to it, and it will eventually come off. My thinking is the two plastic bits weld themselves together over all the heat cycles, and you need a little solvent to get in there and free the two parts up.

I have used this method successfully for years.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
That's interesting. I would have been hesitant to use carb spray just for the fact that it can destroy some plastics and rubber.

I'm not saying it does it to any plastic and rubber but will most definitely do it to some.

Perhaps the combo on our cooling system isn't one of those that break down.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Carb cleaner is some pretty safe stuff. Remember that a carb has O-rings and other non metal parts in it.

Removing the flange does seem like a waste of time. Unless it is leaking let it be and just remove the hose.

Last edited:

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
Whoa, two members from the same town. I don't think in all my years on forums I've ever had someone else from Marysville.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
There are a few of us, actually. What kills me is folks that put their location as "Planet Earth" or something like that. It sure makes it tougher to help someone with a problem that might be location related.

As an aside, my 2006 BRM will be the last TDI I will ever buy. At least with it, you wouldn't have to mortgage your house like you might have to for the CR's with the ex$pensive problems they develop.

Last edited:

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
There are a few of us, actually. What kills me is folks that put their location as "Planet Earth" or something like that. It sure makes it tougher to help someone with a problem that might be location related.

As an aside, my 2006 BRM will be the last TDI I will ever buy. At least with it, you wouldn't have to mortgage your house like you might have to for the CR's with the ex$pensive problems they develop.

Ah yea that's a good point about vague locations.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy a CR if the price / condition were right.

I love the way they drive.

My daughter has a 10' Jetta DSG that's getting turned in soon.

I've been using it to upgrade my 06' to an extent. :)

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
Speaking of which, and not trying to hijack too much but she's got a full set of wheels + damned near new tires that as long as there's something to swap on she would sell for a really good price.

evoblade

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
I got the rad hose removed from the 90 degree fitting pretty easily. Now I can't get the dang wire locking device back on! I'm guessing that won't be a big issue, but what do you guys think?

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
You need to get the lock back on. Don't want the hose fitting to break free in the middle of a trip. usually its just figuring out orientation to slip it back on. Can't get it....Can't get it....Can't get it.....Take a break, when you come back it will just slip right in. Or better yet about the time you decide to ask for someone to help you it will just slip right on for them.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
I’ve left the clip on and undid the hose clamp. Seems to work fine. I was afraid of a coolant leak because of an old oring leaking.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Hey, is it absolutely necessary to remove this clip entirely off of fitting in order to remove the hose? Thx
It's not supposed to need to be completely removed but these metal clips are troublesome and get in your way when you have to wiggle these things apart. It's also hard to grab the plastic flange with the clip in place, hence why I often remove it completely.

I will admit these radiator hose attachment "improvements" are more annoying than what was there before with simple hose and clamps. Not sure why all the additional crap was necessary.

Steve

oilhammer

TDI
Makes perfect sense. It ISN'T more expensive to produce, and they are FAR easier to assemble, which makes the car less expensive to build yet again. Also, I really don't find them especially bad to deal with in most situations.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Oil hammer might be saying that on a production line, simply clicking them on would be slightly faster.

oilhammer

TDI
Having assembled (and disassembled) countless cars' cooling systems, I assure you, the quick couplers are many orders of magnitude faster to assemble. No tools required, even in tight access areas... they just push right on and snap in place. This is why ALL the manufacturers are using them.

And, in a lot of cases, they end up being a bit easier to disassemble, as the clip is easily removed completely, you do not have to fight with not only releasing the CT clamp, but sliding it up and off the hose connection, which often involves a bend in tight quarters, THEN you have to work the hose loose from the [usually plastic] fitting it has stuck on and doesn't want to easily release from just like the o-ring in the quick couplers.

Anyone who disagrees with me simply hasn't worked on many modern vehicles.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yes....when this stuff is all new it's really not a problem. It's only later after it's been cooked in place for a decade where it's a problem getting it undone.

Steve

oilhammer

TDI
Correct, which is of zero concern to the manufacturers. They make the cars easy to assemble. Fewer steps, faster ways to mount and connect things.

They've also had/have quick connect things for fuel lines, transmission/oil lines, A/C lines, in addition to coolant lines.

Those of us old enough and fortunate enough to have worked on Ford Aerostars loved those firewall HVAC connections!