fuel pump??

gtrosema

TDI
2002 Jetta
Just bought this thing yesterday, Drove it over 100 miles, not as much power as I thought but 210k thought ok. Go to crank it up to get it in the shade to clean and it kicked like it wanted to start then no start. Checked timing belt its turning. Checked fuel filter it has fuel. Pulled hose from fuel filter and turned over engine thought i would get some spray but it only has a little bit of fuel on top of filter. Should there be more pressure there at the filter. My service manual had not arrived yet so I am at your mercy LOLThanks

gtrosema

TDI
2002 Jetta
Removed cover over fuel pump in trunk, I hear the pump coming on, still not sure if I have enough pressure. I tried to start it long enough for it to tell me to stop then comes up fuel open is what it looks like.
saw something about a dual pump, new to diesels so bare with me, guess the injector pump? Easiest thing is to start with new filter, but not sure being that we drove it yesterday over 100 miles.
Thoughts??

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
There is a second booster pump, mounted on the back of the engine as I recall.

That failed on ours early on.

Good luck, the group does not have the sharp people/mechanics it used to responding.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
... And make sure you fill it with (new) fuel before trying to start the engine again.

Yes, there is a transfer pump on the back of the cylinder head, but they are not common to cause a no-start.

There is no injection pump on a 04-05 passat like the earlier cars. These are unit-injectors. Each injector is its own pump.

In-tank pump -> transfer (Tandem) pump on the back of the head -> unit injectors.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
May have the same issue I just ran into with a member's car where the injector O-rings let air bleed into system when not under pressure (i.e. running). It would take a lot of cranking to get it going and would run fine until it sat for more than 8-12 hours. It was worse when parked on a hill with the nose up. Replacing the injector O-rings seemed to cure it.

gtrosema

TDI
2002 Jetta
It seems to come and go on mine. I am waiting on my scan tool to get here to dig deeper. Just out of curiosity what kind of mileage should I expect from the passat? So far looks like hi 30's, was hoping for 40's like my old Jetta
Thanks

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Won't be the same as your Jetta, especially an ALH. Same drive over 10 yrs: 04 Jetta BEW 5sp, 45 mpg. 05 Passat auto, 39 mpg. Passat is bigger, heavier and more comfortable.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Yep. Worth putting the money to get it back up to snuff.

OP/BM, timing belt, coolant temp and cleared up some faults with a throttle body change.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
May have the same issue I just ran into with a member's car where the injector O-rings let air bleed into system when not under pressure (i.e. running). It would take a lot of cranking to get it going and would run fine until it sat for more than 8-12 hours. It was worse when parked on a hill with the nose up. Replacing the injector O-rings seemed to cure it.
So far so good. Thanks to you.

gtrosema

TDI
2002 Jetta
Ok I finally got my Vag Com and am trying to sort through the info. Can someone interpret this for me. First off I have a #1 misfire and I can feel it on start up. Which has me looking at the #1 injector.

Injection Quantity 1 -0.02 mg/str Injection Quantity 7.1 mg/str
Injection Quantity 2 0.35 mg/str EGR duty cycle 245.0 mg/str
Injection Quantity 3 0.31 mg/str MAF 445.0 mg/str
Injection Quantity 4 -0.66 mg/str Fuel Consumption 0.60 l/h

Solenoid Valve 1 11.0
Solenoid Valve 2 01.0
Solenoid Valve 3 -02.0
Solenoid Valve 4 -12.0

My service manual will be here Monday but thought someone more familiar could get me started in the right direction sooner. Kind of wondering about EGR and the numbers on the injector, is there a reference I have overlooked on here?
Thanks again for your thoughts