From 866 to 164 km per week.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
So new job starting on the 4th, and the commute is drastically changing. The treg is going to start feeling unloved... lol

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Well done!
We made the same change 20 months ago. Still have both TDIs, now since we carpool to work and if we alternate our cars, only have to fill up once a MONTH. :) Never mind the fuel savings, this saves my sanity from not having to sit in the car for 2+ hrs a day.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Just not having to drive the 401 to Mississauga is going to be a treat. Driving to Waterloo will feel like vacation time.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
866 km a week is 173 km every day. Equals 86.6 km one way each day for 5 days. I wouldn't want to do it, takes at least 2 hours away from own your time every day.

Maybe we should have a forum thread to see what the longest going to work every day distance for people is?

Last edited:

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
Been doing Mississauga to Markham and back since 2001 :-( everything is numb now don't feel anything anymore. As they say when the _____ is inevitable just relax and enjoy it...lol.... can leave for the day but no point will browse the www for another hour and head out...

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
KW to Square One. Been doing that for almost two years. Before that, it was KW to Winston Churchill and the 401, did that for far too many years.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
866 km a week is 173 km every day. Equals 86.6 km one way each day for 5 days. I wouldn't want to do it, takes at least 2 hours away from own your time every day.

Maybe we should have a forum thread to see what the longest going to work every day distance for people is?
2 hours on a good day, but with it being construction season...

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Lately I've been taking the Passat TDI out once a week just to burn the rust off the brakes...It doesn't get much love in the summer.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I used to do 280km a day communing to school in Peterborough from near Pearson airport... In theory doing 280km a day 5 days a week would've meant around 67000km a year and that's just communing, no other driving. But since I didn't have classes 5 days a week I only managed to rack up about 50000km a year for about 2 years... All I know is, I am never, ever communing almost 300km a day ever again. In the past year I did 17000km of which 1600 were a trip to Timmins and back... Feels so nice not be driving all day long

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
good stuff, Mark! I have gone from 500 kms a week (though I did carpool) to 170 kms. moved to Hamilton. sadly, Kathleen Wynne found out that I was saving too much on fuel and stuck it to me with MUCH higher car insurance. thieving *****

Last edited:

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
This morning, my wife Jen goes, now that your working in town, maybe the next vehicle doesn't have to be a diesel.

I laughed and laughed and laughed.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
good stuff, Mark! I have gone from 500 kms a week (though I did carpool) to 170 kms. moved to Hamilton. sadly, Kathleen Wynne found out that I was saving too much on fuel and stuck it to me with MUCH higher car insurance. thieving *****
So, you're out for the next craft beer meet?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I'm in for a beer meet.

Congrats on the truncated commute Mark.

Been there as well, but always keep the TDI in the event circumstances change back to a longer commute - I always have, as a hedge against fuel prices. :D

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I'm in for a beer meet.

Congrats on the truncated commute Mark.

Been there as well, but always keep the TDI in the event circumstances change back to a longer commute - I always have, as a hedge against fuel prices. :D

Thanks, we should do a beer meet.

I love the torque too much to go to a gasser :)

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
did someone say BEER MEET?
there is a new brewery opening on Bishop across from Frito Lays (imagine that, beer and crisps!) in August. :D
Nothing wrong with that Fred, set it up ! Just pray for sunshine and no rain.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
Commute distances.

I work at 2 different locations. 1 week at site A, 1 week at site B, alternating every week.

site A - 40.6km each way according to google. Right around 32 mins door to door each way

site B - 75 to 82 km each way. the 82km route is preferred in the summer... more backroads, next to no traffic. 55-57mins door to door.