Today is the day for 3.0's

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Does anyone know when we can expect the Bosch $1500 claim? Is that after a certified repair is done?
No. It's after your 3.0L claim is approved, with an offer letter coming your way as an indication.

msandhu413

TDI
Audi TDI
What if the repair is not done in timely manner or if buy back occurs for Gen 2 owners. Will the first owner, who register in my case, will be entitled to higher compensation?

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M RIP, 2015 GSW SE TDI 6M, 2015 Q7 TDI
You'll get half of the repair restitution when you file the claim now, the other half when taking the car for the fix if a CERTIFIED repair is approved. If there is no approved CERTIFIED fix, there'll be a buyback option, just like the gen 1 cars. The resititution will basically double in that case.
Thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately, it doesn't apply, as out Q7 is leased. I think my only choice in to take $2000 if a certified repair is approved. If not, than I can probably do an early lease termination and will get more $$.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately, it doesn't apply, as out Q7 is leased. I think my only choice in to take $2000 if a certified repair is approved. If not, than I can probably do an early lease termination and will get more $$.
Nope, my friend.

If it's the same as 2.0Ls, To maximize your potential benefits, your best bet is to buy out the lease, sell to your spouse or friend or relatives, whoever is dependable.

Do NOT file for leasing benefits, let whoever buys your car file for repair restitution for now, the total benefits will increase to over 10k in the snap of your fingers. If there is no CERTIFIED repair, the benefits will most likely double to around 20k if "you", aka the buyer of your car, choose to keep "your" car.

Last edited:

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
Nope, my friend.
To maximize your potential benefits, your best bet is to buy out the lease, sell to your spouse or friend or relatives, whoever is dependable.
Do NOT file for leasing benefits, let whoever buys your car file for repair restitution for now, the total benefits will increase to over 10k in the snap of your fingers. If there is no CERTIFIED repair, the benefits will most likely double to around 20k if you choose to keep your car.
Unfortunately, the lease loophole that I discovered on the 2.0L cars has been closed on the 3.0L cars, unless the lease is held with a third party (not VW or Porsche).

Last edited:

OmniGLH

TDI
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Do you currently either own or lease this vehicle? Yes
Which of the statements below most accurately describes the ownership or lease of this vehicle? I own this vehicle. There is no loan on this vehicle title.
Did you purchase this vehicle at the end of a lease from Volkswagen Credit, Inc., Audi Financial Services, or Porsche Financial Services? No
Please enter the date that you purchased or began leasing the vehicle: 10/06/2016
I got this too.

I contacted them via the "chat" function prior to hitting "submit." The woman on the other end was friendly. I stated the issue, she disappeared for about 10 minutes, then answered with this:

Thank you so much for holding. I was advised that is fine to continue with the claim. With your vehicle being a generation 2 your financial information is not needed at this time. If the Emissions compliant repair is not approved we will be able to update it at a later time.
So FYI for the rest of you, at least with a Gen 2 vehicle.

For "Proof of Ownership" - I noticed (if you hovered over the question mark) they accept "insurance documents." I submitted a scan of my insurance card. Wonder if that'll be good enough? Digging up all the purchase paperwork for the Odo disclosure, etc. is gonna be a pain.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Today it was a good day!

The only Gen II I own has an emissions repair payment showing $4265, the Emission compliant repair shows $8464-$8849. It also talks about previous owners and a "Top Up" payment.

Any ideas?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Today it was a good day!

The only Gen II I own has an emissions repair payment showing $4265, the Emission compliant repair shows $8464-$8849. It also talks about previous owners and a "Top Up" payment.

Any ideas?
I got the same "top up" message. As discussed here already, this means that a previous owner made a claim. If their claim ends up not being valid, you will get extra money.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
At step 15, document review.

Yippeeeee!

tdiesling

TDI
2014 Audi A7 Tdi, 2016 Mercedes Sprinter (CDI) 2500 4x4 (DBA as a 2017 Roadtrek SS Agile), (Sold: 2000 Golf Tdi, 1985 Quantum Td, 1980 Rabbit Diesel (totaled)) 2012 Golf Tdi (Emissions purgatory)
Totally loaded 2014 A7. It says I'll get $9600. Plus Bosch $1500. $11k. Meh. I am hoping they can't come up with a fix. Just saying

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
Emissions Compliant Repair & Extended Emissions Warranty
(if approved by EPA & CARB)

ESTIMATED TOTAL $8,584.24

Darn, the former owner filed. Oh well, I was expecting that. Let's hope for a top-up.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Emissions Compliant Repair & Extended Emissions Warranty
(if approved by EPA & CARB)
ESTIMATED TOTAL $8,584.24
Darn, the former owner filed. Oh well, I was expecting that. Let's hope for a top-up.
No. Didn't happen.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
I owned a 13 Audi A3 tdi prior to my q7 and I did get money back for that vehicle--- will I also get a Bosch check for my a3 that I owned as well as a check for my q7?
Yes. You'll get a check from Bosch for both as long you filed an approved claim for both.

Question is: did you sold your A3 back to VW through the buyback program?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
HHMMM it is not asking me for vehicle registration or bill of sale for 3.0 like it did for 2.0.. did anyone else go through document upload for cars registered to a business?

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
I figured out how they got $8584. My car must have had a former lessee. See bold below.

From the 5/17/17 AMENDED SECOND PARTIAL STIPULATED ORDER FOR PERMANENT
INJUNCTION AND MONETARY JUDGMENT

BBB. “Post-September 2015 Purchaser Restitution” means the monetary
compensation that Volkswagen will pay to Post-September 2015 Purchasers who elect a
Buyback, Certified Emissions Repair, or Approved Emissions Modification under the 3.0L
Settlement Program. If an Eligible Former Owner files a claim, the Post-September 2015
Purchaser Restitution is equal to (1) the Buyback Restitution less 50% of the Approved Emission
Modification Restitution for a Buyback; (2) 50% of the Repair Restitution for a Certified
Emissions Repair; or (3) 50% of the Approved Emissions Modification Restitution for an AEM,
for the Eligible Vehicle, modified by any Mileage Adjustment in Attachment 5. If an Eligible
Former Lessee timely files a valid claim, the Post-September 2015 Purchaser Restitution is equal
to: (1) the Buyback Restitution less 50% of the Approved Emission Modification Restitution for
a Buyback; (2) the Repair Restitution less $2,750 for a Certified Emissions Repair (or less
$2,000 if the condition in Section II(F) applies); or (3) 50% of the Approved Emission
Modification Restitution for an AEM, for the Eligible Vehicle, modified by any Mileage
adjustment in Attachment 5. If neither an Eligible Former Owner nor an Eligible Former Lessee
timely files a valid claim, the Post-September Purchaser Restitution is equal to 100% of: (1) the
Buyback Restitution for a Buyback; (2) the Repair Restitution for a Certified Emissions Repair;
or (3) the Approved Emissions Modification Restitution for an AEM, for the Eligible Vehicle,
modified by any Mileage Adjustment in Attachment 5. Provided, however, that if the total PostSeptember
2015 Purchaser Restitution is less than the amount required by Appendix A of the
DOJ 3.0L Consent Decree, it shall be the amount required by the DOJ 3.0L Consent Decree.

Last edited:

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M RIP, 2015 GSW SE TDI 6M, 2015 Q7 TDI
HHMMM it is not asking me for vehicle registration or bill of sale for 3.0 like it did for 2.0.. did anyone else go through document upload for cars registered to a business?
I did for a leased car. It asked for 3 documents, ID(drivers license), Registration, and a corporate doc. showing my authority to act on behalf of the company.

DrgRnnr

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
Entered 12 claims last night. Appears I ended up 50/50 on previous owner claims. I'm curious from other bulk buyers what their ratio was.

lvrpl

TDI
Passat TDI
Does anyone know how the "Participation Payment" works? Anyone that's registered on the portal and submitted docs - has there been any language about claiming the Participation Payment?

Just wondering because I'm looking at buying a 2014 Q7 this weekend and want to make sure I'll get the entire ~$10k of the repair restitution. I looked up the VIN with a dummy claim in the portal and it's telling me the amount is $8500, so I'm assuming there was no prior owner claim made (the tables show the full repair restitution as about $10k, so I'm assuming the $8500 from the portal plus the $1500 from Bosch gets me to that $10k).

Any thoughts? If I'm going to get $10k back when the fix is done, the sales price this weekend works for me. If I'm only going to get $5k because of that Participation Payment (which is fairly ambiguous in the settlement docs concerning when and how it's paid), then I'll need to pass.

Thanks for any help.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Totally loaded 2014 A7. It says I'll get $9600. Plus Bosch $1500. $11k. Meh. I am hoping they can't come up with a fix. Just saying
We are all hoping for that.
When I read stuff like this I know we've crossed over into alternate reality. I know I am not the only one who wants the fix to succeed. If you read the transcript from Breyer's court, the FTC representative seems to indicate that the fix will in high likelihood be accepted. Two of the three subclasses have already been submitted by VW to EPA and CARB.

If you bought gen 1's to flip, you are fine. If you bought gen 2's, you took a chance and might come out ok, but don't assume your arbitrager's perspective applies to us all.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
For "Proof of Ownership" - I noticed (if you hovered over the question mark) they accept "insurance documents."
I didn't see the question mark to hover over, so uploaded my registration, which was rejected this morning. What else do they say they'll accept as proof of ownership? I just uploaded an insurance card; we'll see if that works.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
I didn't see the question mark to hover over, so uploaded my registration, which was rejected this morning. What else do they say they'll accept as proof of ownership? I just uploaded an insurance card; we'll see if that works.
They rejected my title but accepted my registration, but accepted others' titles. Try title?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
When I read stuff like this I know we've crossed over into alternate reality. I know I am not the only one who wants the fix to succeed.
I'm torn. I really like my Q5, and would be more than happy to keep it. And about $10k in settlement isn't a bad deal at all; I'm not complaining in the least. OTOH, the buyback would be almost $30k more than I paid for the thing (it would also be more than the new MSRP, by about $8k), plus tax. With the loan where it is now, I could pay it off and buy a comparable (year, mileage, equipment) X5 35d outright. And it's hard not to find that an attractive possibility.

The buyback amounts on the Gen 2 cars are, frankly, silly.