Has anyone returned a stripped TDI yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
What I fail to understand is the holier than thou attitude from members like yourself. How dare someone get rid of the best car ever made, right?
Oh, and I love your moral barometer that stripping a car before selling is somehow worse than re-selling cars you perform illegal mods to?
Do you get nose bleeds sitting atop a horse that high ?

I'm just like Oilhammer I failed to understand why anyone would sell there car back. They don't even know how the fix will effect the car.

Now that VW announced stop sales of TDI. My car just went up in value.
VW will fixed the buy back cars and resale the. To limit their losses. Now with the talk about higher fuel prices could be interesting.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
My wife came across a purse someone left in a shopping cart in the wal-mart parking lot. She brought it to the customer service without looking inside.

I suspect some of the people posting in this thread would have thought "score!" leaving the poor woman desperate and wondering where she lost her purse. Or they would have rifled thru it taking the cash, etc then turned it in.

who was it that said that a true test of a mans character is what he does when no one is looking.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You are being paid for a car, in running condition. The options that affect the buyback price are items that would affect trade in value for a car. When they "pay for a sunroof", you cannot bring in a sunroof that is not attached to a car.
According to the settlement documents, I think you probably could return the car with the sunroof sitting in the back seat.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
You are being paid for the powertrain in operable condition and a few select option packages. That is it. They are not inventorying what parts the powertrain has attached to it at the time of turn-in except for the ones that add value to the settlement (navigation is one of those items). (They are inventorying it at a later date, presumably to make a determination on whether they fix and resell it, or recycle it).

Well said

VeeDubTDI

TDI
And to follow up on my earlier post, there is nothing in the settlement documents that says your options have to be present when returning the vehicle.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
i guess you could always look at it as a valid contract execution, with offer, acceptance, consideration, and mutuality all being there.

if they are willing to give you a check for a car that's been thru the chop-shop then I guess it is what it is.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
i guess you could always look at it as a valid contract execution, with offer, acceptance, consideration, and mutuality all being there.

if they are willing to give you a check for a car that's been thru the chop-shop then I guess it is what it is.
Yep. I don't think it's necessarily the right thing for people to be doing, but Volkswagen agreed to the terms, so whatever.

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
snip, snip, snip...

who was it that said that a true test of a mans character is what he does when no one is looking.
I believe that is what at least one branch of the US military refers to as *integrity* - the first of the core values

sent from my mobile look-at device

MonsterTDI09

TDI
It may not mention in the league E of the settlement. To turn in striped car is wrong. The fun will be keeping track of all the ECM that are pull for the car.

dshaner

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I turned in my 09 Jetta today in Columbus, Ohio. I was told that if you bring in a stripped car, you will receive a renegotiated settlement. The buyback only took about 15 minutes. Not sure they even started it.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
disgusting

These stripping practices may threaten the overall goodwill of the buyback arrangements.

My Sportwagen was totaled. I hope to make good on the promise from a local dealership that called home office VWClaims group, and I was advised, by the Claims office, to make it minimally driveable, and I would be eligible for buyback.

It is an olive branch from corporate VW. I call that GOOD WILL. I was in the emergency room, and you are all looking like craigslist/ebay thieves.

This thread exposes a bunch of loser thieves. Period. Y'all live with your stank selves.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I turned in my 09 Jetta today in Columbus, Ohio. I was told that if you bring in a stripped car, you will receive a renegotiated settlement. The buyback only took about 15 minutes. Not sure they even started it.
Based on what legal authority? I feel like that's just somebody saying something to try and discourage it from happening.

Roishe Cheng

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I'm just like Oilhammer I failed to understand why anyone would sell there car back. They don't even know how the fix will effect the car.
Now that VW announced stop sales of TDI. My car just went up in value.
VW will fixed the buy back cars and resale the. To limit their losses. Now with the talk about higher fuel prices could be interesting.
People like myself are selling, not because we are desperate for the money, but because we own a car that has a negative reputation in the resale market for many years to come based on the scandal.

It's bad enough to own a depreciating asset, tie that to a psychological profile of a bad investment and you would basically have to give the car away in the future if you ever wanted to sell. Dealers will probably give you pennies on the dollar even if you kept it with a fix because they know it would have very limited resale value in terms of audience, "Is this one of those diesel VWs that was in the scandal years ago?" -- "Yes sir, but it's all fixed, with a warranty!"

Before VW's restitution offer, I recall quite a few people trying to sell their cars private market as $4-$5k below previous scandal value and it was even difficult then.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
As Mr. furious said, be very careful. It could send that screwdriver you're using to do so straight through your chest. I'm sure you know this, but I feel the need to reiterate the fact.
The one time I removed an airbag (to fix a flaky turn signal on an A4), I stood outside of the vehicle (so I was looking at the back of the steering wheel through the windshield), with my hands in through the drivers side window to actually disconnect the thing. All of this so I didn't have to worry about the thing blowing up in my face.

Those things seriously give me the willies.

autdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB, 2003 NB, 2006 Touareg, 2015 Jetta, 2013 Beetle, 2013 Touareg
People like myself are selling, not because we are desperate for the money, but because we own a car that has a negative reputation in the resale market for many years to come based on the scandal.

It's bad enough to own a depreciating asset, tie that to a psychological profile of a bad investment and you would basically have to give the car away in the future if you ever wanted to sell. Dealers will probably give you pennies on the dollar even if you kept it with a fix because they know it would have very limited resale value in terms of audience, "Is this one of those diesel VWs that was in the scandal years ago?" -- "Yes sir, but it's all fixed, with a warranty!"

Before VW's restitution offer, I recall quite a few people trying to sell their cars private market as $4-$5k below previous scandal value and it was even difficult then.
It's called uncertainty, nobody knew what was going to happen, so nobody wanted to buy them, especially dealers that make a profit moving inventory, and this might be one they would get stuck with for a while. The instant the offer came out, you couldn't buy them fast enough, then it became arbitrage at work.

If you are buying a 6 year old car, image isn't your motivation. You're looking for something at will be reliable for the foreseeable timeframe you need the car. Once bought, it's a sunk cost, what does it matter other than for insurance purposes what it's worth.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
In addition to stripping the car, I suggest grabbing a few dozen coffee K cups from the customer lounge, and a visit to the rest room to grab the toilet paper roll.

Nothing in the settlement that says you cannot do that either.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I believe that is what at least one branch of the US military refers to as *integrity* - the first of the core values

Owning a vw is not the same as swearing into the service. :rolleyes:

vw buyers were always free to MOD (or remove) X-Y-Z on their new (used) cars. Personally I thought MODS was unfriendly to the air etc.

But, then long came dieselgate.

nothing in the SETTLEMENT on "CONDITION" but ~~~~

"Move under its' own power".

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
sight "SETTLEMENT"source?

the dealership nor the Ambassador has that power. No?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>

This is in the same category as "Charity is always anonymous." We live in a community with a major university with a number of donated buildings, each having the donor's name plastered on it in great big letters. That is not charity, it's a sad attempt to buy immortality.

Yukon4Runner

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf (buyback) 2015 Golf Sportwagen (buyback buy)
...and if it actually was the dealership I was turning over to VWoA, I might take you up on that.

In addition to stripping the car, I suggest grabbing a few dozen coffee K cups from the customer lounge, and a visit to the rest room to grab the toilet paper roll.

MonsterTDI09

TDI

People have a short memories. If the fuel prices start to go up all bets or off. Don't forget there's nothing out there that get the kinda mpg in the mid size car.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
This is in the same category as "Charity is always anonymous." We live in a community with a major university with a number of donated buildings, each having the donor's name plastered on it in great big letters. That is not charity, it's a sad attempt to buy immortality.
No charity is anonymous if you deduct it off your taxes and I don't think that a donation to a college or university is really charity, unless it is paying for students to go to school. IMO, any charity is a good thing anonymous or not. Even if something is legal, it does not make it ethical and one knows it's ethical if it gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling after you do it...Mark Edit: After thinking about it, donations of equioment and buildings to schools directly help students, if the school doesn't raise tuition at the same time...

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
People have a short memories. If the fuel prices start to go up all bets or off. Don't forget there's nothing out there that get the kinda mpg in the mid size car.
My motorcycle gets over 50 MPG's and was my go to vehicle the last time fuel was expensive. And, yes I know that it is not an option for everyone. My Cummins gets over 20 and is extremely useful, much more so than the Beetle. With its 125 gallon fuel capacity, it goes over 2000 miles without filling up and I can wait out high fuel prices sometimes...Mark

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk

LOL! :p

Roishe Cheng

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I hear you, but situations change. After no longer needing to commute 46 miles roundtrip a day, the TDI was getting like 18-20 mpg around town because I have a heavy foot and with the aggressive driving style where I live fuel economy goes out the window.

Throwback7r

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW
My New wagon is really close to my TDI and I drive it the same. TDI =36.9 Not TDI=33.6 That is only a difference of only 3.3 MPG, and it has not broken in yet. So, saying there is nothing that gets close to TDI millage any more is just not true. Don't forget that Diesel costs more than RUG, around here, and has more maintenance" fuel filter, DSG change ETC"

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
My TDI gets 40 mpg on average, in all kinds of driving. At $4/gallon, that's 10 cents a mile for fuel. My replacement vehicle, also diesel, gets 26 mpg on average. At $4/gallon, that would be 15.4 cents per mile. I drive the vehicle about 10,000 miles a year. So the additional fuel "penalty", even at $4 per gallon, would be $540 per year.

For which I now have a vehicle that will accommodate five passengers in great comfort, a decent cargo capacity, and all wheel drive.

Of course, in the meantime, diesel here is around $2.50 a gallon, so the "penalty" for the time being is closer to $300 a year. And I really do not expect any big rise in fuel prices over the next four years. If prices start to rise, our domestic shale oil producers will start producing like crazy.

I would rather save the $300 by shopping a little more carefully at the grocery store.

Last edited:

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG

No one knows for sure what the future will bring, but current projections that I've read say we will have low gas prices for the next 10 years.

Mike.

TDI
2011 Golf - Returned to VW
This was my exact situation. When I purchased my Golf I was commuting about 100 miles a day of hwy driving, a TDI made sense at the time. Since then I am now much closer to work, in stop and go traffic and I get much less MPG in city driving. Combining that with the cost of diesel being more expensive then premium in this area and my returns have diminished.

I think we all realize fuel prices will go up, they always do. Everyone has different transportation needs and these needs change in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.