Review: New 2014 Mercedes E250 Bluetec to Get 44 MPG or higher

MarcusW

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf BlueMotion
Amazing figures if the estimates for EPA fuel economy are true. And the new E-Klasse is much better looking than before the major redesign.

2014 Mercedes-Benz E250 BlueTec Sedan – First Look and Review

For 2014, the Mercedes-Benz E-Class family is receiving a mid-life refresh but it’sDSC_0954 the most extensive facelift we’ve seen and probably the most ambitious in the history of the marque. Indeed, the new E-Class looks more like a new model than some completely new introductions in recent years.

In the case of the E-Class, it isn’t just a simple nip and tuck: the sedan and wagon bodies have been significantly redesigned in keeping with the Sindelfingen-based automaker’s efforts at achieving a new look as evidenced by the new CLA and S-Class lines. Given that competitors in the mid-size luxury sedan market, such as the current-generation Audi A6 and BMW 5 Series are still quite new, the creation of a new look is quite understandable....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
One of my colleagues looked at this car at a local dealer and commented that the materials quality in the interior is disappointing. Seems that both M-B and BMW are no longer building cars that seem like they'll last forever.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
I drove my FIL's E350, that thing is awesome! Definitely noticed the cheaper interior though..looked a lot like a modern Jetta.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
A surprising flaw like interior quality on an expensive car is corporate infighting, some division is protecting their turf by impeding the upstarters. Surely they aren't worried about prices and profits and skimping on quality. People who buy MB aren't out to buy the cheapest car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
But they have to be competitive. A new E-Class costs about $5K more than my 300D did 20 years ago. That's because of competition from Lexus and Infiniti. It nearly killed M-B in the US market in the late 90s. They had to take costs out of the cars, but unfortunately sometimes it shows.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You're comparing two cars and an SUV. I don't think the sedan is available in the US yet.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That's impressive. But I don't think the picture matches the trim and appearance of the NA cars. I'm pretty sure they'll have a more traditional M-B sedan grille.

tariq

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
That's impressive. But I don't think the picture matches the trim and appearance of the NA cars. I'm pretty sure they'll have a more traditional M-B sedan grille.
Apparently, both grille types will be offered but to get the more contemporary grille with the huge MB emblem, you have to opt for a more expensive, sports/ performance version.