Misfire need help!

Moonbaby

TDI
VW Passat 1.9L TDi
Hello everyone!
This is my first post here so please allow me to introduce myself. If you wish to get right to my concern then just scroll down..
I'm currently serving overseas in the United Kingdom and bought the wife a VW Passat 1.9L TDi (Estate model). I've posted on the UK forums for help and have gotten little to no guidance. Read up and down the internet for any possible solutions and all have not resolved my misfire even the slightest. So here I am asking for help!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our Passat has a misfire but only at idle with no codes. Took it to our local shop and they recommended that they replace the injector's wire harness. About $200 later our problem still persists! They then told me that it'd be wise to just scrap the car and move on because the injectors might be bad. I simply thanked them and decided to take this problem on myself. Gathered from my reading I replaced the fuel filter, which has a fuel heater on top and has to be the dumbest setup I've seen yet, but that got us nowhere. Cleaned the MAF/AMM and any other solenoids I could get my hands on with no change.
So I went out and purchased a bluetooth/wifi OBD2 reader and it supported a few PID's that I could watch live but no injector readings or misfire readings of course. What I did notice was an overboost of 23psi when the wife gave it some gas and instantly engaged it's limp mode. Discovered a feint hissing noise of a vacuum leak from the N75 solenoid and read that it goes hand-in-hand with overboost issues. So I'm gonna tackle that problem and buy some new vacuum lines to replace these cruddy braided lines and hopefully eliminate any and all leaks. I'm also contemplating the cleaning of my EGR valve and intake manifold just praying maybe something that simple will fix our family car. (Side note: closing, or is it opening? Pushing the plunger/actuator all the way in on the EGR valve eliminates the misfire completely)..
**Cliff notes**
Engine misfires: replaced the injector wire harness, fuel filter, cleaned MAF, possible faulty N75 due to overboost, trying to isolate vacuum leak in that area. Shop can't tell me which injector or if it is the injector(s) that's causing the issue. Please help, I fix planes not cars.
P.S. I'll post pics for attention tomorrow when the sun comes up!

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
What year and engine code?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Does the misfire feel "regular" when it occurs - indicating it is only on one cylinder?

Moonbaby

TDI
VW Passat 1.9L TDi
Negative; It's very irregular and intermittent. Only occurs on idle, some days it doesn't happen at all and others it happens almost immediately then the problem vanishes after a little drive or doesn't happen until after a drive.

Moonbaby

TDI
VW Passat 1.9L TDi
Removed and replaced the EGR valve, misfire solved.

Now I'm just dealing with what appears to be a bad torque converter in this cruddy automatic..

Moonbaby

TDI
VW Passat 1.9L TDi
Juuuust kidding, after about two hours of driving the misfire showed it's face again. It's not rythmatic at all.. Would video evidence help any? It only occurs at idle to about 1500 rpm's.

Moonbaby

TDI
VW Passat 1.9L TDi
It was roughly around the 90* Celsius, the store isn't too far from home, drove about 20 miles round trip. So yes, just a tad under normal operating temp.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
That is less of a misfire, and more of an erratic idle.

The #1 thing I would do would be to get a good scanner on the car - VCDS and scan through all of the engine readings when the problem is occurring.

Failing that, the rest would be educated guesswork - I would guess MAF, MAP, and double check the coolant temp sensor as suggested above.

I would also be looking at group 13 injector balance readings to see if you have a bad injector, again only available in a VAG specific scan tool like VCDS.

Moonbaby

TDI
VW Passat 1.9L TDi
only available in a VAG specific scan tool like VCDS.
Yeah I was unaware that this tool even existed before I purchased this VW and holy cow are they expensive. I'm going to prod around the local auto shops and see if they can help us out.

I can see what you mean by more of just a rough idle instead of the problem being a misfire. I was so gung-ho about our misfire issue when the original shop checked it out that it's all I've been researching and replacing associated parts.

Any suggestions on isolating if it's the MAF, MAP and coolant sensor?

Much appreciated!

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Not familiar with the 3BG. Does it have an injection pump or is it a PD with a tandem pump?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Can you post a picture of the engine bay?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
That is a PD motor. The tandem pump is at the back of the head. I had the exact same experience with mine. It would randomly misfire and one just shut off at times. It would start right back up. I changed everything like crank position sensor, filter, even complete harness.

My last gasp was to rebuild the tandem pump. It hasn't missed a beat since. The kit came from somewhere in Europe. I bought it on eBay

Moonbaby

TDI
VW Passat 1.9L TDi
My last gasp was to rebuild the tandem pump. It hasn't missed a beat since. The kit came from somewhere in Europe. I bought it on eBay
Time to go shopping! Better than throwing injectors at it like the shop suggested.. I'll start pricing some kits out.

Edit: Looking up and down and noticing minor differences in these kits, some guidance would be greatly appreciated!

I found these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUK-Fuel-...745175?hash=item2a85393497:g:O2AAAOSwA29Y46Qf

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-Fue...2f8157e&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=182623745175

Sorry for the long links

Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Not sure if your scanner is compatible with the following request but,...
Where is the torsion set? Engine controller, group 4
Rough, lumpy idle can come from overly retarded camshaft position. Don't know if it will cause the stall out or not. Jumping far enough out of time will. Could it be borderline?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
I might add that a PD Jetta (BRM) that I just worked on had a code for cylinder #2 misfire and torsion set to -3.9kw. It had a lumpy warm idle.
Both conditions went away when resetting the torsion to -0.5kw and have not returned.

Moonbaby

TDI
VW Passat 1.9L TDi
Yeah this scanner isn't capable of making any computer corrections. Still poking around to find an auto shop willing to help me out.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Consider that your rolling / erratic idle, the engine did not miss - I would be looking at the fuel delivery as a possible issue from the tandem pump as mentioned above - the scanner is not going to show you that - only a pressure / flow test will.

Moonbaby

TDI
VW Passat 1.9L TDi
Unfortunately there are no cables near me, go figure haha, but can someone point me in the right direction for the correct tandem fuel pump repair kit? I don't mind putting away a 12-pack and a few dollars tinkering in the garage one weekend. So even if it doesn't correct our problem at least I can annotate it's been rebuilt when I leave this island and sell our tdi!