16" summer tires v. 18" all-season tires for JSW?

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
My 2012 JSW needs new tires. I plan to keep it into fall of 2018.
I am trying to decide between the following 2 choices:
(a) keeping the stock 16" wheels and buying a set of Continental ExtremeContact Sport summer tires (205/55ZR16 91W); or
(b) buying 18" wheels and mounting a set of Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 high performaance all-season tires (225/40R18 92H XL), which I took off of my 2016 GTI at about 5K miles.
I have a set of winter tires mounted on steelies that will be fine next winter. I expect to return the car to VW with the winter tires/steelies on it.
Thoughts?
Thanks!

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd go for the dedicated summer tires. I think you'll appreciate the difference in grip. And you'll be less likely to bend the 16" wheels on NJ's lovely roads.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Thanks. I'm also wondering if I'd be more likely to have a use for 16" wheels w/ summers or 18" wheels w/ all-seasons on whatever I buy in 2018 to replace the JSW.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
The downside of 18" is the lack of rubber.
It will be a harsher ride.

Lug pattern of the new vehicle is a defining factor and one that is not available for the new car yet.

I say new tires as well.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Appreicate your thoughts.

I'm fine with the ride of my GTI with 18" summer tires. Would the JSW ride harsher than the GTI does (both have stock suspensions)?

If I were to replace the JSW today, it would be with a GSW. I would probably make the same decision in a year. But who knows the future?

Thanks again.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I've read some related threads and I think I'll stick with the 16" wheels and buy new summer tires. Thanks again.