Belt moldings - when to replace

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I noticed some time ago that the B3V driver side door belt moldings were not in the greatest shape. These are the rubber covered metal strips that ride at the top of the door and also provide the window scraper function.

When they start to look puffy you know there's an issue under the rubber that's not going to go away. Mine were looking puffy at the rear of the driver door and the front of the rear door, so right close together.

Kind of hard to tell in this photo but under the rubber there's some rust going on.

First thing I did was remove the rear door exterior corner triangle by removing the inside corner cover and then the phillips screw and clip behind that. Once those are out the plastic cover on the outside swings open like the little hinged lid. From there it's easy to nurse it out. Next I removed the molding by gently pulling up on the end of it (not the rusted end) until it pulled loose and I could nurse it off the full length of the door. The rusted bit was not very cooperative at coming off.

The underside had some minor surface rust and some residue on it that needed to be cleaned off.

The nice thing about doing this job is that you get to clean, polish and wax the paint under the trim so that it doesn't start to rust...more.

Once you have the flange cleaned and waxed (or other coating) you can gently install the replacement seal. I start at the front aligning the front edge and then gently pressing the seal into place from front to back.

Here we have a replacement rear seal installed.

And here we have the front and rear replacement belt molding seals installed:

I managed to do the front one without having to fully remove the mirror. I did have to detach it from the door frame but I was able to hang it above the work while I cleaned and installed the new seal.

These photos show us what was going on under the rubber coating..

The reason I bring this up is twofold. First, if these start to rust at both ends then it's difficult to find something to grab on to in order to get them off. Second, the corrosion inside can work its way to the door itself and if it was let go long enough might start rust on the door too, which would not be good.

Steve

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Yeah, those things are a pain. One of the ill-designed things about the B3/B4 along with the door latches.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Where did you source the new trim from? I would be really interested in replacing them on my B4
I didn't source anything new, I'm not sure what Lisa did but she might have had access to the new stuff.

I checked and the front ones are available new, the rears for both sedan and estate/variant are NLA. The fronts however are a rather big pill to swallow, they're $116.xx each.

Bear in mind if you go the used route like I did, the sedan rear door outer seal is different from the wagon. Just a little FYI.

My passenger seals are decent but given the difficulty in locating wagon parts I now wonder whether I should have gotten the right side seals from the KC junker B3V.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Good stuff. I remember these fighting me when I tried to remove one... I was getting a door painted. I thought I was going to ruin it and I erred on the side of caution and stopped. I was planning on reusing it, though.

The Bentley says they'll get destroyed removing them.

-Todd

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Haven't tried the rear ones, but I bought the front ones new from the dealer last year. Very expensive indeed :/ Thanks for the info about the rears! guess I'll have to find a decent used pair :/

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Well Steve, I wish your pics were still around! I've been dealing with a musty smell and a lot of dampness under the front right carpet, and it seems pretty obvious where it's coming from.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks normal to me. The doors have drain holes in them... looks like yours are draining, properly.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd start by being sure the insides of the doors are clean and verifying the vapor barriers are intact. The foam ones are usually destroyed.

-Todd