Mercedes E250 Bluetec

What interests you about this thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
The mod to the seat works with lumbar adjustment of the seat back. So, no slouching. I make sure my lower back is snugged against the lumbar inflator I adjusted with the rocker switch on the left seat side. So my rear is pushing back the bead fold against the seat back. It does take basic posture, I'm sitting actively engaging my core muscles. The downside is my head rest just barely makes it to my skull. Also, the the mod fills in the seat between the bolsters so I'm losing the benefit of bolsters, I don't get hip support for turning motion. Too bad we don't have the adjustable seat bolsters like in the S class. Nonetheless, the mod fixes it. I've been in rental cars with better seats. Also I have the sports package which has sports seats, maybe with bigger, sharper bolsters. Maybe I could switch to the luxury seat. I wouldn't spend much to do it because I don't have to. My seat isn't good enough to slouch in. I'll bet that forcing me to sit with correct posture makes it usable for road trips.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I took a look at JUST my local dealers inventory. They had 2 2015 E250BT with about 30k miles for about $37k. The off-lease trade-ins are out there, as far as I saw there's plenty of them and you can haggle a lot further.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I read the manual about the seats. It implies that the E class can have active seat adjust with the Command screens and the button with the seat icon. I don't have any of that. Maybe the Luxury option does. It's on the S class I think. What I do have is the lumbar rocker switch. It moves the bulge up and down with the up and down arrows, and inflates/deflates with the forward/back arrows. So to adjust I want to move the bulge until is behind the top of my pelvis or sacral region of my lower back. Lumbar support is a bump which tips up your pelvis (extends your lumbro-sacral joint) so you are sitting on the bottom of your pelvic bone with your core muscles engaged and not on a flexed pelvis and lax core. Your core muscles are your lower abs, lower spinal, and gluts. You also then have your head up and shoulders back. It takes a lot to just sit too.

*zepman

TDI
Former 2012 Passat TDI SEL Current: 2014 e250 Bluetec
Have you ever thought to have your service adviser take a look at your seat ?
I had mine re-built with new foam, makes a difference

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Have you ever thought to have your service adviser take a look at your seat ?
I had mine re-built with new foam, makes a difference
I did ask the MB service if they could change the seat, they said no. My seat isn't broken, I just don't like it. Are you luxury or sport package? May be different seats.

I assume you re-built back to it's original (sports) seat. I wish MB customized it such as flatter or wider but they don't. Have you done your lumbar adjustment? Try inflating the support to max with the forward arrow and aiming low with the down arrow. Also my seat is low and tilted forward. The back is almost strait up, the seat is back all the way (I'm tall) and the headrest is up. I keep the wheel low and back. You also have the option of trying my seat mods. I'm ok with those for now. In fact, I am finally satisfied with the seat, after going on about it for months, I have worked it out and am glad to move on.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Reader Poll #2

This thread has had 30,000 views. I'd be interested in knowing what interests you about it, such as you are considering buying an E250 BT, are curious about diesel cars or this car, or just enjoy the endless foibles of an owner trying to feel good about the choices he made. And in case you didn't know by now, I thoroughly do.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't like the lower front bumper fins sticking out. I hit curbs with them parking and they are roughed up by now. I have learned to baby them when I park but that took a while. That and the rear bumper I just had to replace after I backed into a pole, was smashed again while parked at a bar. One side is scratched and slightly sticking out bent. Too delicate. This is one where the Jetta wins big, I once backed into a dumpster with it, Jetta 0, dumpster big dent.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Just checked the MB "Future Cars" section. The word diesel gone. Checked it's 2015 CPO E250BT inventory, 20 cars, most of which I'd like to buy. Can't have too many of these puppies. I think by late 2018 the MB diesel will be offered on an E class which I will definitely test drive, but lacking a compelling reason such as being a bitter old loser with nothing better to do but spend his pay I won't be buying it, 9 speed and more clean though it may be.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Reader Poll

This thread has had 30,000 views. I'd be interested in knowing what interests you about it, such as you are considering buying an E250 BT, are curious about diesel cars or this car, or just enjoy the endless foibles of an owner trying to feel good about the choices he made. And in case you didn't know by now, I thoroughly do.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Owners, are you as happy with your cars as I am? Any issues or reviews? There are 5 or 10 owners who we know of on this thread. How are your cars?

*zepman

TDI
Just completed a 900 mile trip, got close to 800 miles on a full tank of diesel, seat comfort was alright, not great, not like sitting on a box either.

the car performed wonderfully.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I have fixed my seat beautifully. For $39 in O'Reilly's supplies and in 3 minutes in a 100% non-glued or marked in any visible or invisible way, I can fix yours. It is also reversible in about 1 minute. Just PM me to set up where and when. I have pictures of it above. PS: I had once had straps on my bolster which I removed. It is adjusting the lumbar rocker switch, placing a lumbar cushion on the seat, and folding a bead seat cover on top of the cushion. Result is the seat is filled in in back by the seat back. It looks great and feels great.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Just completed a 900 mile trip, got close to 800 miles on a full tank of diesel, seat comfort was alright, not great, not like sitting on a box either.
the car performed wonderfully.
Have you tried S Mode for freeway weaving? +2 about wonderful, I have been tearing around the city two years with it. It is my big cat.

2004PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Sedan, 2016 E250 Sport
E250 Sport, RWD.

The car is a CPO 2016 blk/blk E250 Sport, rear wheel drive. Bought it site unseen, and never rode in one. But as a friend told me, “don’t worry about it, it’s a Benz”.
I must say the ride is very nice. Not as sporty as the 2004 Passat with the lowering springs, HD Bilsteins, and RSB. Truth be told, I would like to firm up the E250. Handles well in the curves, and is very comfortable on a long drive. The run flats feel rubbery, but again, the car rides nicely.
I drive every month from 60016 to 29730, 800 miles. I drove this last weekend, 823.7 miles with 19.559 gallons. 42.0 MPG driving 10 to 20 over, with AC on some of the trip and panorama roof open some of the other. There was also some stop and go on the interstates. I bet the car will get boarder line 50 MPG if taking it easy. I got close to 1,000 miles on 1-tank with the Passat, maybe this one will do it?
I was wondering if the transmission would downshift going up the mountain, but it held top gear, just like the Passat. Something else I noticed is that the car seems to coast a long time, more so than the Passat.
I’m looking forward to doing my first oil change on the car.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Yippee

Congratulations on your new ride. You're going to be very happy with it. It's a Bluetec? I dumped my run flats on day 1. Switched to Michelin Primacy MO and bought a spare and wheel from Tirerack and a jack from Mercedes. It takes up a lot of trunk space since I bought a full size spare rather than the doughnut from Mercedes. I think you'd like the ride better with Michelins but I'm not sure what your issue is. Your mpgs are calculated on hills and run flats which probably has a huge impact. As for sporty, you can try S mode and/or paddle shifting. I think the car is very sporty and I use those a lot too.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
As for coasting, I'd paddle shift down if I wanted to keep off the brake down hill if that's what you're referring to. As for firming up, the MB uses a dual layered suspension rather than rely on a single tight spring and roll bar. It absorbs shocks in the first layer and isolates the cabin from it with a second spring layer. Mechanics hopefully can explain what if anything I'm talking about here. My point is I don't think it can be firmed with the usual roll bars and/or springs. The S class has dynamic suspension and you'd probably would have to retrofit some of that equipment. Try the tires first, I think that might be a big improvement. I needed to put a cushion and bead cover on my seat. If you want to try my cushion set up, see the pictures above, and I can mail you the $39 worth of supplies if you PM me your address.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
How is your car Drivbiwire?

Pulled the trigger, Harmon Kardon, LED lighting, premium 2 package, fully loaded 4-Matic E250 Bluetec and Sport package with Panorama roof:

What are your impressions?

bobdfsh, camarones what about your cars?

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
The car is a CPO 2016 blk/blk E250 Sport, rear wheel drive. Bought it site unseen, and never rode in one. But as a friend told me, “don’t worry about it, it’s a Benz”.
I must say the ride is very nice. Not as sporty as the 2004 Passat with the lowering springs, HD Bilsteins, and RSB. Truth be told, I would like to firm up the E250. Handles well in the curves, and is very comfortable on a long drive. The run flats feel rubbery, but again, the car rides nicely.
I drive every month from 60016 to 29730, 800 miles. I drove this last weekend, 823.7 miles with 19.559 gallons. 42.0 MPG driving 10 to 20 over, with AC on some of the trip and panorama roof open some of the other. There was also some stop and go on the interstates. I bet the car will get boarder line 50 MPG if taking it easy. I got close to 1,000 miles on 1-tank with the Passat, maybe this one will do it?
I was wondering if the transmission would downshift going up the mountain, but it held top gear, just like the Passat. Something else I noticed is that the car seems to coast a long time, more so than the Passat.
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/class-C/bodystyle-CPE?dclid=CIzvpv-Bu9MCFQuuAQodbOIAYw

They describe the adaptive suspension ("agility control"). When the 2018 Bluetecs are out we can trade in for them around 2020 when they come off lease. I'm cool with another three years with my E250BT. Beyond cool, more like psyched.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sat in the new E-Class wagon at the NY auto show today. Nice car. I didn't think I'd like the extended cluster area, but the Nav unit is pretty impressive. I doubt we'll see a diesel wagon however, and even if we did I don't think I'd pony up what they'd want for it.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
If they announce the 2018 Bluetec at the Los Angeles Auto show in December I'll check it out. Lucky I'm not a big Navi user, I think the E250 one is trash. Thanks for the news from NY.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
What I don't like about this car

The Navi. After 2 years I still can't use this piece of junk.

The seat, it makes my leg cramp. Lucky I was able to fix it beautifully with some cushions (see above pics)

The visibility, I have to drive with the passenger seat laid down or the head rest is in the way. I had to get used to extra side view mirrors (see above), I had to get my seat adjusted just right. Things are good now.

The run flats, got rid of them and ate my trunk with a full size spare, could get a doughnut, but not yet

The hitch, I still need to try to put my harness in, it's a very tricky job

The bumper, any little dent is thousands, affecting insurance price.

The price, I bought new and didn't haggle much, I may get out from underwater after paying the loan for four years. Monthly payment and insurance is what I could pay as rent if I moved away from town.

Obsolescence, MB hasn't yet continued it's marvelous diesel cars for 2018. I don't want to have to go to Stuttgart to find a diesel mechanic.

I'm sure there's more. I'll keep working on this list. Of course, the verdict is still an exuberant A+, I got the car I wanted, for once, I did something right. The minuses are all brush-offs to me. The car is terrific.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
So you've got a car that's expensive, that you're not comfortable in without modifying the seats, can't see out of, has features you don't like (navi), is costly to maintain, and you don't have a good means of servicing it out of warranty. And it's still an A+? Me thinks you're rationalizing a bit.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
So you've got a car that's expensive, that you're not comfortable in without modifying the seats, can't see out of, has features you don't like (navi), is costly to maintain, and you don't have a good means of servicing it out of warranty. And it's still an A+? Me thinks you're rationalizing a bit.
I fixed the seat and the visibility, and it's not yet expensive to maintain (until maybe after extended warranty). It is 15 or 20k cheaper to buy now on CPO. The rest yea, but it's a great car. It is also the only midsize, 4cyl clean diesel there is. I'm not tuning it, I like that it's clean, and it's 32 mpg combined is satisfactory. It is a total gas to drive, no matter what the "steering feelers" complain about. It's not rationalizing, it on balance and for me is happily a great car that's worth the money, that I may wind up keeping for 10 years which sort of "amortizes" the cost. We've had this discussion before, it is the only option for what I want. Luckily the only option is a great one. What I meant by obsolescence is out of warranty is 10 years from now and I'd rather repair a car at a dealer that has a growing diesel base rather than an old one, but there'd be dealers.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
How'd the oil change go?

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
*zepman, great city car or what? What kind of driving do you do, city or highway?

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I've written hundreds of posts here and over 31,000 people have viewed them. I am excited to do it and will continue, but I wonder, for all the people who are interested in this car and this thread, why more of you don't tell us about what interests you about it. For the 5 or 10 owners who follow it, why you don't tell us more about your car and your experiences.

*zepman

TDI
mainly city driving, but highway on almost every weekend, that will change when my office moves next year to the arts district (all hwy)