Haunted glow plug

tobsav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I have an evil spirit in my glow plug system. Cyl #3.... ALWAYS.
Over the last 15 yrs with this car I have several CELs.... a common one is glow plug cyl #3. Put brand new plugs in about 7 mos ago (because cyl 3 plug was kaput...tested with a meter) All was happy. A few days ago the car throws a code.... yes...same damn thing... popped open the hood tested all 4 plugs ...#3 was again reading NO continuity.
Should i just get an exorcist or am I missing something? Harness tests out fine by the way. Although this time when i saw the dead plug I didn't go thru the gymnastics of testing the harness.
I have hung garlic in the engine compartment........
cheers

Last edited:

tobsav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
nope..the real thing. And it has ALWAYs been the same cylinder.

tobsav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I didn't pull it this time. They were incredibly difficult to remove last time..so bad I was worried they would snap off.....so, havent checked for erosion.... guess I may need to have a peek

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Most likely you've just had bad luck a couple times in a row with #3, but if there is a specific reason it's being tough on glow plugs a dripping injector is really the only thing I could think of that would be specific to just one cylinder.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Scan Gauge or VCDS will give you the code number identifying the specific GP that's out of spec, gone kaput, etc.

For what it is worth, the last original GP in my 2000 Jetta was replaced about 4 years ago. The ECU/GP system on the 2000 is a two wire system that doesn't identify which GP has given up the ghost.

I agree, must be a faulty injector or a mere coincidence! Take down the Garlic Bag!:D