Good mechanics in Pittsburgh area??

noairbag

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 06 spice red
Hello. I need to get a new CV axle on my 2006 Jetta because its starting to click everynow and then on turns.. I will also need a new timing belt pretty soon because im at 85000 miles. Anyone have anyone in mind? or places to avoid?

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray GLS
I don't know of anyone in Pittsburgh, I have used and recommend John Hamilton in Columbus, OH.

M I N I O N

scammer & kfed poser
TDI
You aren't too far away from myself or Oliver. He is in Baltimore and I am in the same area but a little closer to DC.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
From Pittsburgh to Baltimore???? That's 250 miles. Laurel is even further. Columbus OH is about that far as well. I believe F&P in Hunker PA which is within the 724 area code is the closest of the trusted TDI shops. Marquette Auto is in Sunbury PA which is about 220 miles away. There are also 2 more listed in 717 area code. I am certain that there are many more within the area who are quite good.

Last edited:

Fencemaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5sp; 2009 JSW TDI 6sp
In some other Pittsburgh threads, others have recommended this shop and reported that the owner even drives a Jetta diesel. I can't vouch for this shop, however, as I've never used them:

Bobs Service.
518 River Rd
Dravosburg, PA 15034
412-469-9733

If you are new to the Pittsburgh area, Dravosburg is on the Mon River south of downtown. Go down Pa-51 and a little before you get to the Century III mall you take a left onto Pa-885 and it is probably 3 miles down the road.

noairbag

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 06 spice red
thanks for the tips guys! I'll inquire with these two closest places and go from there, I'll update you after I speak with them..
If anyone else thinks of any good mechanics keep me posted! I'll probably take care of the CV axle first and then later on after a few weeks or month pass do the timing belt...

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray GLS
TB too

Does anyone here in Pittsburgh have any experience getting a timing belt done at any of the shops listed?

I'm thinking of taking it to Jon Hamilton, who did my clutch/flywheel at Christmas, but closer would be better.

fishman

TDI
Timing Belt

Just had mine done by Chris Fisher in Huntingdon,Pa about 100 miles east of Pitt. Does good work and is reasonable.He is under the trusted mechanics sections:cool:

noairbag

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 06 spice red
How much was the job? did you wait around at the shop while the work was being done or what? and what year and vehicle do you drive?

M I N I O N

scammer & kfed poser
TDI
This thread has been up for a while. If you still can't find anybody willing to do it or close enough, I would be willing to drive out and do it where the car sits. PM me if you are interested.