Turn signal problems

Skenzi

TDI
1997 jetta
So my 97, all of a sudden the cruise stops working.. definitely an inconvenience, but livable... few months later, the turn signals stop completely, hazards and all... when I turn the stalk, you can hear it click the blinker deal under the dash, but no lights whatsoever, and the hazard switch just stays lit up and doesnt blink... like its frozen... yes all the bulbs are present and appear good... replaced turn signal stalk with brand new one from rock auto, no change

I'm gonna take it into a mechanic next month for ac repairs anyway, but any thoughts on what kinda German engineering trickery could be amiss here? Rather fix it myself, but at the same time I dont have the time to scratch my head and punch myself in the nuts trying to figure it out

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I'm gonna vote for the ignition switch. Whether that's the cause of the cruise situation I cannot say, but if you have VAG-Com or know someone with it you can use it to determine if the switches at the clutch / brake pedals are working properly.

A bad ignition switch shows up as a lot of weird problems.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
The switch is a good call... they’re known to be problematic.

The cruse may simply be corrosion or build up at the buttons. Taking the stalk apart, cleaning and regreasing has always cured “no cruise”, for me. The timing may be purely coincidental.

-Todd

Skenzi

TDI
1997 jetta
Didnt think of the ignition switch, right now it doesnt turn off the stereo... I checked the brake and clutch switches myself when the cruise stopped, and they both worked...

And new switch, so its not the button

Honestly I'm about to pull the motor out, put it in something better and push the car off a cliff

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
A bad ignition switch can cause a lot of odd problems. If you've never replaced it and you have higher miles it's likely the problem.

Ignition switch is nothing to push the car off a cliff over, they go bad, it's the nature of these with a lot of miles etc. Failure to turn off stereo (if OEM radio) is a good indicator that it might be bad.

Oh and it's good practice to not have a huge heavy key ring. I know that seems to be the trend, to have a huge heavy ring loaded up with all sorts of garbage, but that weight wreaks havoc on the ign cylinder / switch. Keep it to a couple keys.

Steve

Skenzi

TDI
1997 jetta
Lol it's not from this current problem that makes me feel that way about it... we have a love hate relationship, and it's good I can swipe oil from work... it looks like a waterfall of oil in the intake from the ccv...

Just the car has always nickeled and dimed me, but it also has 320k on it.... I guess never good luck with the car...

I'll try the ignition switch, and if that doesn't do it, I'm gonna make it someone elses problem

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Is fixing the ccv really that serious? There’s a grommet, a puck and a tube. It’s definitely not a perfect setup, but it shouldn’t be a waterfall.

-Todd

Skenzi

TDI
1997 jetta
And after a new puck, grommet and tube, it still looks like that on the inside... doesn't really leak oil too bad on the outside... I'm gonna try a ccv filter... that dont work I'm just gonna keep adding oil