www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 14th, 2017, 11:00   #1
badnews

Fuel Economy: 55+
Default I want the A/C to turn on ONLY when I hit the button!

I haven't been able to find an existing thread on this topic (if there is one, point me!) so I started a new one. Hopefully someone has figured this out already.

I want the A/C to come on ONLY when I press the A/C button. Currently it comes on automatically when I move the air selector to any of the Defrost settings. It also comes on automatically, if Defrost is selected, when I turn down the temperature selector.

It can be 10% humidity and 25F, and the A/C comes on. Bloody nonsense!

Anyway, I think this is controlled from the VCDS (if it's not, is there a wire I can cut?). Can someone tell me WHERE in the VCDS this can be modified? And how to make it manual only?

Thanks.
badnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:06   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

You may poke around in the Climate module and see if there is something in there that could change.

Given the nature of the variable displacement compressors, though, not sure it would bother me much that it works the way it does.
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:30   #3
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

Not what you're looking for but you can always turn on the defrost and then shut off the A/C. That's what I usually do if I don't want it running.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:48   #4
badnews

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITEWAGON View Post
Not what you're looking for but you can always turn on the defrost and then shut off the A/C. That's what I usually do if I don't want it running.
That's what I have to do now and it's really annoying. I live in a desert where the relative humidity is almost always low, summer and winter.
Old November 14th, 2017, 13:17   #5
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnews View Post
I haven't been able to find an existing thread on this topic (if there is one, point me!) so I started a new one. Hopefully someone has figured this out already.

I want the A/C to come on ONLY when I press the A/C button. Currently it comes on automatically when I move the air selector to any of the Defrost settings. It also comes on automatically, if Defrost is selected, when I turn down the temperature selector.

It can be 10% humidity and 25F, and the A/C comes on. Bloody nonsense!

Anyway, I think this is controlled from the VCDS (if it's not, is there a wire I can cut?). Can someone tell me WHERE in the VCDS this can be modified? And how to make it manual only?

Thanks.
No, actually it won't . . . Most systems lock out the compressor below a certain temperature to avoid destroying it by liquid slugging it (IE hydrolock).

Myself, I can't fathom running defrost without the AC . . . it just plain does not work nearly as well in most conditions. What exactly is the problem you are seeing, or is this more one of those "principle of the thing" kind of issues?

- Tim
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 16:12   #6
badnews

Tim,

If I lived in Texas, or any other warm, humid place, I'd probably agree with you. I grew up in Michigan, so I know what it's like. But I live on the high plains and drive a lot in the mountains: land of body lotion, chapstick, "dry-eye", humidifiers and static shock. Cereal never gets stale when you leave the bag open.

Because of the high altitude, the thin air never holds much humidity. Have you ever seen snow sublimating in the sun at 15F in Texas? It is quite normal here.

The number of times I've needed/wanted to run the A/C to defog in the last 30 years I can count on the fingers of one hand, that is, if I could remember that far back. If it's cold enough to need to defrost, the A/C is ineffective anyway.

On sunny fall/winter days, I like to have fresh air on my face/shoulders (which are in the sun) with the Defrost setting, without chilling my body and feet.

Recently there have been a number of days where I started with the heat full on. As the day and car warmed up, I turned down the heat bit by bit. Suddenly I was freezing because the A/C came on unexpectedly. It was about 50F outside. Bogus.

And as I said, running the A/C when it's not needed is a waste of fuei and puts unnecessary wear on the compressor.

So I find it annoying. I disabled it in my previous vehicles but it's my understanding that I can't just cut a wire, but need to change the VCDS in this car.

I'll take any advice on this.
Old Yesterday, 00:01   #7
tadawson
Veteran Member

I grewup (and still have a home in) Northern Michigan, and that is where the experience I drew my comment from was had. No AC on defrost pretty much meant no visibility during those times of year you could actually get a window to fog and not freeze. And the low temp AC cutout applies everywhere . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote