Replacing turn signal bulbs

BobcatTDI

I try to run searches to make sure I'm not posting something that has already been on here. If this has, I apologize.
My left turn signal bulb has burned out (the one next to the headlight, not on the side)on my 2001 Jetta. Has anyone replaced one of these yet, and does anyone know the best way to get the bulb? How hard is it?
Any help would be great. Thanks.

dieselUFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I don't have a Jetta but want to share my experience re: a similar problem.
After replacing my Golf's turn signal bulb with a new one it still didn't flash. I swapped out the passenger side parts with the "bad" parts and discovered my turn signal bulb was ok but the socket was the problem. Saw the socket had an electrical short scar on the metal contact strip.

Check to make sure your bulb is in fact burned out. Examine the inside bulb element for a break or better yet plug the bulb into the passenger side socket. Also, swap the sockets out to check if the driver side is ok.

Golf headlight assemblies are not the same as a Jetta's. Maybe there are some similarities. Leverage the retaining wire, positioned over the cover, off to the side with a screwdriver. Wire is secured so don't worry it won't fall off. Your cover can then be removed if you pull it towards the inside or left. You can slide your hand in between the battery tray to grab it, do-able but tight on a Golf. Rotate the bulb socket assembly and it will disconnect and can be removed. Remember not to touch the bulb glass with your fingers. Oil will shorten bulb life.

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
Originally posted by lancelot:
Remember not to touch the bulb glass with your fingers. Oil will shorten bulb life.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I read this when I replaced my bulb. Generally a bulb dies when the filament inside the bulb breaks, correct? So how is it that oil on the outside of the glass has an effect on bulb life?

Just curious.

msauve

Veteran Member
I read this when I replaced my bulb. Generally a bulb dies when the filament inside the bulb breaks, correct? So how is it that oil on the outside of the glass has an effect on bulb life?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">His comment applies to quartz halogen bulbs, as used for the headlights. It does not apply to normal incandescent bulbs such as used in the turn signals.

Normal incandescent bulbs fail due to oxidation and/or evaporation of metal from the filament. In a quartz halogen bulb, the envelope is filled with a high purity halogen gas. This prevents oxidation, but more importantly provides a mechanism to reduce loss of metal from the filament.

The heated filament evaporates tungsten gas, which combines with the halogen gas to create tungsten halide. The tungsten halide circulates in the bulb, and when it touches the filament, the heat causes it to break down, the tungsten is redeposited on the filament, and the halogen is released. The cycle repeats, providing longer bulb life than would otherwise occur.

If the envelope is cooled under about 250F, then the tungsten will end up deposited on the quartz, reducing bulb life. It must also not exceed about 800F, or it will soften.

Getting oil (such as from fingerprints) on a quartz halogen bulb will cause a "hot spot," and will lead to premature failure.

BobcatTDI

It just hit me that I've posted a topic related to a car as opposed to the type of engine in it which this forum is dedicated toward.
My apologies.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
That's why we call it "101". No need to apologize. Welcome to the club.

Darron65

TDI
99 Golf 2dr, Indigo Blue
lancelot, I can't believe we had the exact same problem!
Last weekend I spent 3 hrs getting my left front turn signal to work properly. First I had to pull the headlight assy out of the car cause I couldn't even get my long skinny fingers back there (Thanks VW!) Then I discover the bulb is fine but the socket is messed up; one of the metal contacts does not have a barb on it to hold it in position in the plastic housing. I gave it a little tweak with needlenose pliers for luck, reassembled and all is well. Hopefully I don't have to repeat in another 22k miles.
My old volkswagens (both A2's) never needed much in the way of tools for bulb changes so I'm a little choked over the pull the grille, bumper cover, and headlight routine.

dieselUFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I hear ya. Replaced the socket and all is well now. Drove 200+ miles today and I'm stil amazed at the driving experience. I look forward to what Bilsteins and Upsolute who do.