DMF / Clutch Replacement 2006 TDI BRM Jetta

rm22

TDI
12 JSW
First-time poster here. Thanks to all experts here from whom I've learned a lot from in past searches.

I'm up against the inevitable DMF replacement. I've researched the issue and the descriptions and videos linked from other threads seem to match exactly to my symptoms. Not good timing as it just went through the EGR cooler replacement, but overall can't complain as we're almost to 200K miles on this with these being the only major problems so far. Car has manual transmission.

I need help / clarification / advice on the following two points.
(In advance, please don't suggest that I see a local guru as I've already been to my local guru in ME and although he provided some free consultation, he will not work on a BRM engine. The other VW (not TDI though) expert in my area lost my trust last time in after misdiagnosing the EGR problem):

1) The dealer has given me two quotes depending on the DMF model in the car. $1200 if Sachs, $1600 if Luk. He says he can't tell from the VIN and will need to look at the DMF before ordering.
Does this sound right? My VIN is 3VWST71K86M027247 if it will help to decode this mystery. I'm trying to save valuable time and get the correct part ordered in advance as I need the car next week. After the initial diagnosis, it's another two days in the shop to order the correct parts.

2) The dealer has recommended that the clutch be replaced while it's in the shop and all apart. This will add an additional $400 to the quotes above. Considering that it has 200K miles, is this a good investment?

Thanks much in advance.

chittychittybangbang

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Forget the dealer replacement and the DMF. I replaced a bad DMF in my car with a new DMF and still regret it because a SMF engages more consistently and will never fail. You would replace the flywheel and clutch at the same time, parts+labor should be half of what the dealer is charging. Here are my notes on it if you feel like DIY. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/clutch-DMF-replacement-Volkswagen.htm

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
+1. I feel for your sticker shock on these repairs, but don't skip the clutch. The high cost of this repair is the amount of labor, so to do the clutch at a later date will greatly increase the cost.

rm22

TDI
12 JSW
So, from the recommendation here are browsing other threads, I'm convinced that I should try to get a local mechanic to do the work using the SMF. Looks like everything I need to order is here: http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1954

I would greatly appreciate if someone could give me a quick confirmation before I shell out the $450 plus shipping to get the parts.

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
Yes that is what you need. I see no reason a local mechanic with a good rep should not do this job. There is nothing that requires a tdi "guru" for this. Just tell the mechanic that you'd like the trans mount bolts and flywheel bolts replaced with the new ones in the kit.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Dont know why your TDI guru don't want to work on BRM, but doing on clutch on BRM is easy as on ALH, I personaly like doing clutches on BRM more then ALH. Anyway the job is fairly easy about 6hrs of labor time and I would suggest installing LUK DMF upgraded part cost about $430 from one of venders here like boraparts, idparts or dieselgeek. I would suggest going with LUK DMF because its lot more quiter and engages very smooth compare to doing SMF conversion that chatters more then on ALH. Since you have already 200K on car I would suggest replacing pilot bearing guide sleeve as well its about $30, its probably started leaking, put fresh gear oil in. So if you would brought it to guru it would cost you roughly about $1000 parts labor and tax included, this would include DMF kit, trowout bearing, pilot guide sleeve, gear oil replaced.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Go Herm

Herm Pasker
Richmond, ME.
(207) 737-2861
HermTDI@Yahoo.com

rm22

TDI
12 JSW
Monster -- Please see my original post. I was trying not to name names, but since you did, I've already paid a visit to Herm.

rm22

TDI
12 JSW
Looks like I've started a mini debate between changing over to a SMF or using the upgrading DMF. Anyone else care to weigh in on this choice before I place the order tomorrow?

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
I have a SMF with a VR6 clutch and it is definitely loud, especially in the summer. I have at times wished I had a reliable DMF with a SMF "feel", but that doesn't exist. If you are considering a chip or performance upgrades in the future, get a SMF. If you are going to keep your BRM at 105 hp and like to keep things quiet and civilized, get the updated DMF.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
I have a SMF with a VR6 clutch and it is definitely loud, especially in the summer. I have at times wished I had a reliable DMF with a SMF "feel", but that doesn't exist. If you are considering a chip or performance upgrades in the future, get a SMF. If you are going to keep your BRM at 105 hp and like to keep things quiet and civilized, get the updated DMF.
Good point. I have put both DMF and SMF on customers BRM jettas and I really liked the LUK DMF its very quite, smooth. At first I was bit nervous about putting another DMF in but Aaron assured me that they will be fine so since then I been suggesting go that route if customer intends to keep vehicle stock.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
LMAO @ not working on a BRM... those are the EASIEST cars to work on of all the recent VAG products, by far! The EGR cooler is probably the most 'difficult' thing to do, given its location, but even that is not that bad if you have proper tools.

The Valeo conversion kits work well on these, and are not really very noticeably rattle-sounding at idle (you probably could not even tell unless you really listened for it). But they really are only good for stock to very mild modded engines, as they simply will not hold much torque. The Sachs conversions are a bit stronger, but seem noisier to me.

I have reservations about the Luk DMF, only because that is who supplied the earlier DMFs to VAG, before Sachs, and while they used a clutch with better clamping force, the DMF failures seemed much more common, much more rampant, and much more violent. Perhaps they have improved some, we'll see. I've just seen too many early 1.8t and 1998/1999 ALHs with holes in the bellhouse from those things, I guess. :eek:

This trans R&R is a 6hr job book time, but can easily be done by someone who knows what they are doing in less than 3, it is far easier than the ALH or BEWs, that's for sure, and those are pretty dog gone easy, too! :)

bghartm

TDI
2006 BRM 5 speed
I installed a SBC stage II with SMF about 3 months ago. I dont notice any more noise that the stock. Took me a few weeks to get used to but I like it. Took me and two buddy's about 8-9 hours but I think we could easily do it in less than 6 if we did it again. I also replaced the oil.

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
I can't say for the people claiming more noise, maybe it's because they expected more noise there are hearing it. You had to be standing outside our car to tell any difference and it was very slight. Well worth it for the gains, SMF for sure.

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
I can hear a very obvious increase in rattling when I release the clutch pedal in neutral. Please do not tell me what I am hearing.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Is there less noise with a heaver flywheel?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Looks like I've started a mini debate between changing over to a SMF or using the upgrading DMF. Anyone else care to weigh in on this choice before I place the order tomorrow?
There is really no debate. The fact is, A SMF will never come apart like a DMF will. When a DMF grenades, it usually knocks holes in the transaxle housing.

As a plus, the engagement for a SMF is smoother than a DMF. If I had known how much better the engagement of a SMF is, I would have changed over to one at 100 (one hundred) miles.

With a 17 pould flywheel on my A5, there is gear jangle in neutral with the petal out, but It isn't really all that noticeable. I don't even hear it unless I have the window down.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The lighter flywheels also seem to make take-offs feel more difficult (like easier to stall the engine) to me. Takes much of the off-idle torque away, then replaces it wil higher RPM rev-i-ness (is that a word?). Volkswagens are just too heavy of a car to have that light of a flywheel, IMHO.

They also make more idle noise, as stated.

ESA31.8T

TDI
Jetta
I just changed mine (2006 BRM) with the dieselgeek kit.

I think engagement and shifting is fine. Kit was also pre-assembled which was actually a nice time saver. I would buy his kit again.

I do recommend removing the passenger side axle flange as I could not get it out without doing so. I think it might be easier for the guys/shops with lifts.

Also, I found it easier to actually just lift the transmission and install it from underneath the car. I tried using my jack and just could not get it in so I just lifted it up and in while under the car.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
I wonder why VW swtch to the DMF from SMF?