Can the Touareg be used as a Tow vehicle?

bdisco

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 4dr Golf & '12 T-Reg.
My father currently tows an '04 Acura MDX behind his Motor coach. Is the Touareg rated for four wheels down towing? Dad is a diesel guy (Mercedes) and was excited when I told him I ordered a TDI. I told him about the TDI Touareg so any info would be helpful. Thanks.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
I have nothing to substantiate this but I am guessing no as it has full time 4wd so its unlikley everything would be happy with that.

Look at clubtouareg.com for more info about touaregs.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
bdisco said:
My father currently tows an '04 Acura MDX behind his Motor coach. Is the Touareg rated for four wheels down towing? Dad is a diesel guy (Mercedes) and was excited when I told him I ordered a TDI. I told him about the TDI Touareg so any info would be helpful. Thanks.
It's not recommended to tow a vehicle with an automatic transmission on 2 or 4 wheels for long distances or high speeds as parts of the transmission don't get adequate lubrication when the engine isn't running.

If you can somehow disconnect the front and rear drive axles you should be safe.

Last edited:

Medic92

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3
Perhaps he can use a car trailer for his Touareg. Or he can get a travel trailer that is 7500 pounds and use his Touareg as the tow vehicle.

bdisco

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 4dr Golf & '12 T-Reg.
Acura stopped authorizing the MDX for towing after '04.

Perhaps he can use a car trailer for his Touareg. Or he can get a travel trailer that is 7500 pounds and use his Touareg as the tow vehicle.
His motor coach is a class A - 43' Blue Bird Wanderlodge (more Tour Bus the Winabego). A car trailer would be pushing the length limit. Will try clubtouareg for more info.

Thanks

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
The Touareg is 4MO...you can't pull that with wheels down.

FWIW, the Touareg has a nice towing rating :)

firedwg1

Veteran Member
TDI
10 GSW, 12 Pass SEL, Tesla MS
special note... they had to add sand bags to keep traction and start / stop slow to do that but the V10 has no problem towing a 747! 30k lbs seems a bit excessive for any vehicle. I would ask the dealer to double check the specs. Just because you can does not mean you should.

oruna1

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
I saw the same thing on the World's Strongest Man competition. They didn't put any sand bags on the competitors and they still managed to pull one.

haywood801

TDI
V10 Touareg 2004
true... that is more of a transmission test if you ask me... fun video tho

Im glad our trannys are tough

firedwg1

Veteran Member
TDI
10 GSW, 12 Pass SEL, Tesla MS
big difference in weight between a C-130 and 747